Where to put toolkit ?

it wasn't ANLAF

I must confess it was me it was me Earnest Tea
I have my tools in a bag attached lower front so the engine cylinders get air flow.

thats right..... drop him right in it :thumbsup::D

How is the yellow banana these days I wonder.

it wasn't ANLAF

I must confess it was me it was me Earnest Tea
I have my tools in a bag attached lower front so the engine cylinders get air flow.

I like your tool roll its an ideal solution but.... for me I'd have to remove it and carry both the tool roll and my helmet around the shops etc which would be a right pita. I'm never sure what to do with my helmet as it is ! how do you use the helmet lock on these bikes thats what I want to know.

Loved your last ride video ... great trip alongside the lake .Nice neighbourhood .:wink2:

I knew it came from somewhere east of here. Thought you Floridians did orange juice.

Isn't there a Florida mandate that sez you must pack Coppertone SPF #30 in there?
OJ is morning morning time tea is anytime.
For sure SPF #30 or more and also repel for dem dam bugs

I like your tool roll its an ideal solution but.... for me I'd have to remove it and carry both the tool roll and my helmet around the shops etc which would be a right pita. I'm never sure what to do with my helmet as it is ! how do you use the helmet lock on these bikes thats what I want to know.

Loved your last ride video ... great trip alongside the lake .Nice neighbourhood .:wink2:

thief would have to cut my bag off.
I just leave my helmet on mirror been doing that for years, Happy to report no one has ever taking it..
I also liked your last video.
You have some good riding country :thumbsup::thumbsup:

i think I'm probably being a little over cautious but since we have been getting a steady increase in immigrants and travellers down here in the West Country, the crime rate seems to have (co incidentally :wink2:) gone up substantially too.

If someone were to nick my helmet whilst out in town I'd be stuck and unable to ride my bike home :wtf:

I think the ideal answer for me might be to buy a seat tail pack bag . Most of them can hold a helmet as well as tools etc and they are easily removed and convert to a back pack.!:thumbsup:

There is a nice little cubbyhole next to the battery which XSLeo told me about . I need to replace my battery carrier bushes anyway so I might look to see if I can modify the battery carrier and make a larger lockable toolbox with access from under the seat.

Probably another one of those roundtuit jobs as I seem to spend most of my free time on the net these days.:laugh:

A piece of large irrigation plastic pipe with caps can be stay-tied any wher on the bike. It makes for a good tool carrier.

Hi peanut,
the list gets longer, eh?
As I count the growing needs, it's a tool roll, a VOM, a secure place for your helmet (and the rainsuit, I lived in England; if it ain't raining now it soon will be.) and, it seems, all the kit needed to brew tea. Plus stowage for whatever you went to the shops for in the first place.
Gonna need a big ol' locking top box.
Or a single wheel trailer.
To deter the Travellers from nicking the trailer, unpin it, click out the folding handle and rearstand that you added and take it with you like a shopping cart.

Just get an electro-shock anti theft devise and smile knowing someone will get a nasty jolt if they mess with anything on your bike. :)

I've lain awake many a night thinking how I could achieve that :laugh::wink2:

One of these things. Under/inside the seat, with the probes stealthly positioned just below the surface, about 10" back from the front of the seat. And, a clever triggering system...
74783_262c7784-a959-11e4-9b1d-5e5f2523fab8.jpg

One of these things. Under/inside the seat, with the probes stealthly positioned just below the surface, about 10" back from the front of the seat. And, a clever triggering system...
74783_262c7784-a959-11e4-9b1d-5e5f2523fab8.jpg

I sure wish we could purchase those in the UK but their sale, possession and use are illegal .
I have thought about making one from a broken camera flash but that will have to wait along with all the other crackpot projects I have stacking up :D

The stock helmet lock is the bit of steel bent into a loop that is part of the seat lock. turn the key one way the helmet lock pops open, hook the helmet strap d-rings in the loop, close loop.
Leo

I don't understand how that could be regarded as a lock ?:shrug:

A potential thief only has to undo the helmet catch and walk off with your $150 helmet !
I thought there would be more to it than that ....why make it a locking loop ?.might as well just have an open wire hook or hang it on the end of the bars .:shrug:

The helmet lock is pretty stout. I don't think someone can just pop it open easily. With the helmet d rings secured they would have to cut the strap?

I've only got three helmets and all have a micro-lock chin strap type of fixing

I can't see why a D ring chin strap is any more secure ? ahh I see . The strap with the D rings is fixed to the helmet permanently doh !
I've never had a D ring type helmet so it wasn't immediately obvious how the helmet could be attached securely to the locking ring

Attachments

• d ring.jpg
    d ring.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 154
  • helmet catch.jpg
    helmet catch.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 144
On the d-ring you don't put the strap through the lock, you put the lock through the d-ring.
On the fancy strap you could put the lock through the hole in the end of the red piece.
Leo

yes I think that is pretty obvious Leo,... if you clamped the strap ... the D rings would just pull straight through the lock ring.:laugh:

I should have been more precise in phrasing my answer . :)

The helmet Image is a library one . My helmet does not have a hole in the plastic which would be too narrow to drill but its a good point. The strap does have a small nylon loop but I wouldn't use that as a security device.

It would only take a knife, pair of scissors or any sharp object to slice through the nylon and your expensive helmet would be gone in a flash.

I don't know what petty theft is like in the States but here in the UK it is rife. You cannot leave anything anywhere unattended. Thieves actually drive around in vans looking for motorbikes and scooters . I have seen a locked scooter lifted into the back of a van in broad daylight in a busy Town high street by two men. Within less than 20 seconds the van was driving away with the scooter !

Last edited:
I have one of these tubes on two of my non-XS bikes. The outside stenciling comes off easily. I cut down the cap length for my Buell so it would go across the back. I cut a piece out and then JB welded the shorter length to the tapered transition part of the cap. You could do something similar with the tube length but more difficult.

http://www.agrisupply.com/manual-canister-large/p/67670/

Back