Which condensers?

memyself

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Ok I finally get my bike running great I put about 400 miles on it. One day it gets rained on and hasnt started since. I can not figure out whats wrong. Would the rain hurt my reg/rec to the point of not starting my bike? However in the process of trying to get it started im pretty sure i fried my green monster coil. In the meantime i wanna put my points back in.lost the condensers. any over the counter condensers i could use?

Check with Pamcopete on how to check his ignition for function. He knows how to check the coil too.

just go to the parts store n tell em you need two condersors for a 70 ford mustang. there the same. i have the pamco ignition on my bike and been caught in the rain several times and it never hurt it.

Im an idiot and left the left wire off the spark plug as i kicked it over. From all the reading i have done i heard that is a big no no and instantly fries the coil. How do i check the coil? Ive got the resistances saved on my computer but im kind of dumb and cant figure out which points to check. Do i check where the power wires connect and to the ground on the coil? Or do i check where the plug wires connect to the coil? Im very confused. Also how do i know if i fried it? What would the meter say?

Yes, leaving one plug wire unhooked can short out the coil. It may or may not have hurt your coil.
On my green coil I get a 25.1K reading on my meter on the 200K scale from one cap to the other. Put the test probes in where the caps goes on the spark plugs. If you remove the caps and check from the end of one wire to the end of the other it should read 15K. If you check from one cap to ground you should read infinity.
The primary side, 3.3 ohms.
If it ohms out to these specs it should be ok.
The rain shouldn't hurt anything. If any of your wiring wasn't covered well enough it could have gotten wet enough to short power to ground and make it quit. Mine used to. Once I got it wrapped up good so water couldn't get in, it runs fine in the rain.
You might want to check the voltages at the coil and Pamco. If you aren't getting battery voltage there you won't get spark.

OK i get 25.7 with my meter on 200k scale. Please tell me my coil is good. Pretty please. My oil tank has an access hole in the back which may or may not let rain in. If the reg or rec got wet could that fry them? I built Petes rec from parts from radio shack and will be putting it back in here if i find out my coil is good. I also think my battery might be the culprit but we were jumping it at the same time and it checked out at 12.3just now. Anymore tips for me? Thanks for your help

The 25.7 is fine. Did you check from one cap to ground, there should be no continuity there, an infinity reading.
The rain should not hurt them. The regulator is a sealed unit. The rectifiers are too. The rectifier gets hot and needs to be out in the open to dissipate the heat. If you mount them inside the oil tank you might waht to add holes or louvers to allow a free flow of air. A drain hole so any water that gets in can drain out.
Jumping the battery, how were you jumping the battery? If done incorrectly it can hurt the ignition.

it can hurt the pamco? i jumped it with a car with just cables hooked up and car not runnin

If the car was not running it should be ok. When the car is running it can cause power surges when it sences the draw from cranking your bike. Car alternators have a high output. Most nowdays around 100 apms. When you crank your bike and if the car is running the cars regulator sences the voltage drop on the car battery. This drop triggers the regulator to turn on the alternator. When it turns on and puts 100 amps to the car battery it also sends it to your bike battery. the surge won't last long. In that short time it can hurt the battery and the stock TCI box, I think the Pamco can handle the excess better. Pamcopete can answer that question better than I can.
If your coil checks out and you get power to the pamco and coil. Pamcopete has a procedure to test the Pamco for function with out turning the engine over.
He has written it out several times on here and at the Garage. I don't know the procedure well enough to explain it. A bit of a search and you should be able to find it.
It my be stickied in the tech section.

Back