Which new carbs would you fit

Peanut.........."Vehicle link" on the Amal Home page doesn't list 1 Japanese bike. So where do you start for jetting

well i guess you call the supplied helpline number or email them :thumbsup:

I'm going to call them on Tuesday myself and see what they can suggest that would be suitable for the stock XS650 . I'll also get some prices of individual items and for a full setup

If you google XS650 Amal you'll see lots of existing setups including some very tasty 2 into 1 cast and fabricated inlets:wink2:

You posted the link..............I saw nothing associated to an XS650. Hell you can't fix your carbs with all the professional help from the carb gurus here, and you are going to take advice from an out fit that doesn't list Japanese bikes.

I for one will heed grizld1 advice on his experience

You posted the link..............I saw nothing associated to an XS650. Hell you can't fix your carbs with all the professional help from the carb gurus here, and you are going to take advice from an out fit that doesn't list Japanese bikes.

I for one will heed grizld1 advice on his experience

We could try to be nicer huh?

Thanks for the kind words, Skull; but my experience with Amal carbs is 45 years old, so I really don't know their newer products firsthand. Expert opinion appears to be strongly mixed, but when Michael Morse tells me that swapping for a pair of Amals at trackside (I don't know which--MKII?) made his roadracer breathe fire, I have to believe him, and when Gary Hoos points out that Amals had a reputation for being troublesome beasts back in the day, that sure matches my memory.

So--since this is uncertain ground, let me request that any further posts re. Amal carbs on the XS650 be based on personal experience.

my experience with Amal carbs is 45 years old, so I really don't know their newer products firsthand.

So--since this is uncertain ground, let me request that any further posts re. Amal carbs on the XS650 be based on personal experience.

I think we should reserve judgement about them until someone who has had recent personal experience with Amal carbs is able to give a first hand account.ie someone who knows what they are talking about:wink2:
Not having first hand experience about something doesn't preclude us discussing it ....thats what a forum is for ...debate and discussion :wink2:

Last edited:
We could try to be nicer huh?

don't make yourself a target for the trolls mate. They're only here because they're unwelcome anywhere else

The best thing we can do is to just ignore them . :wink2:
Eventually they'll give up and move on hopefully and then everyone will breathe a huge sigh of relief:D:thumbsup::laugh:

With all due respect, peanut, there are mixed views from very credible folks on this question, and quality of debate and discussion is going to be pretty poor if there's no basis in experience to support it. I did take a look at Amal's application list for Triumph and noticed that it stopped in the early '80's, when the original company folded. If I remember right the modern Triumphs fitted carbs (and later fuel injectors) by Mikuni; please correct me if I'm in error.

I can say from personal experience that if you knew exactly how to tickle your amals the ole commando was a one kick cold start bike. And if you didn't, you could be a sodden lump gasping next to an ice cold beauty.

With all due respect, peanut, there are mixed views from very credible folks on this question, and quality of debate and discussion is going to be pretty poor if there's no basis in experience to support it. I did take a look at Amal's application list for Triumph and noticed that it stopped in the early '80's, when the original company folded. If I remember right the modern Triumphs fitted carbs (and later fuel injectors) by Mikuni; please correct me if I'm in error.

I don't know anything about Amal carbs myself ,I just added them to the thread for completeness. From what you guys have said it would seem that they are a bit of a niche application.

The older models are still knocking about and probably give just as much trouble as old Mikuni's hence the bad reputation in some circles.I'm sure that their new model range has to be good or they wouldn't still be in business. I'll contact them tomorrow and see what they recommend for XS650 . It might be a dead end .

I rather like their simplicity and the direct throttle action which is very similar to Dellorto and Mikuni VM's .I expect, like any other carburettor, it all comes down to condition of components and the experience of the tuner at the end of the day:wink2:

do a search on "ex500" and read up...they're practically plug and play...scabber is right they are awesome so far...I'm coming from vm34's that were nice, but I like the low end throttle snap type response from the cvk34's. plus they are everywhere...ninja 500 had them for some years so they are all over the place....probably over the pond too.

Back