which red o ring goes here

cruzin

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I cleaning the oil passages on the rockers. I took the barrel plug that holds the rocker arm in and in my gasket set I bought there are 8 red o rings. 4 of them look a little bigger and 4 look a little smaller. this is my first rebuild of a xs and dont know which ones to use. any help will be great. thanks

original is on the bottom new ones middle and top.

if I have to guess id think the smaller one is the one to use. the larger one is sloppy on the barrel type thing.

Attachments

• rockerarmoring.JPG
    rockerarmoring.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 204
I can't for sure say which is which but one size goes on the tubes, the other on the Phillips head caps that cover the shaft holes.
Leo

Hi Leo, Are you talking about the big chrome Phillips screws where you pull the rocker shaft out? they are alot bigger than the tube. the tube is .49" and the screw/bolt .68" I think Ill wait on putting the o rings in. Ive got to take the bottom end apart yet. I just had these rocker covers cleaned and blasted and wanted to get any moisture out and replace it with oil. And other bad news I have is my keg went dry today. boy what a day.

thanks twomany, I see there are 2 sets of 4 o rings one on these 4 for the sleeves and 4 for valve guide part. I think the smaller ones are the ones I need to put on the sleeves. not that that is sorted out I was looking at my oil pump and see some problems with it. think Ill have to start a new post.

I forgot about the valve guides, never replaced any so I didn't think of them.
Leo

don't some go around the sleave that passes thru the head bolt area to seal the oil passage?
not sure, just throwing in another monkey wrench.

When I ordered the gasket set I got the Athena set that had more than any other set. These have a couple smaller sealed packets which I believe are for certain parts of the motor. the packet with the smaller red o rings in them I think are for the rocker head. It has 8 red rubber ones and from the pdf that to many sent me there are 8 o rings used. and 4 for the sleeves that hold the rocker arms in. And 4 for the valve guide parts. not the valve seal but another o ring. I hope I can figure out where they go on the guide. but I think Im safe using the smaller ones on the sleeve thanks for input.

Back