Why does my 650 hate the cold? (30*F)

erice1984

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I tried riding my 650 in about 30 degree F temperatures the other day. I didn't ride because I wanted to, but because my car is getting painted and took my chances on the weather.

I can't get off choke, and the bike likes to bog down when on the throttle. I pull up to a light and try to take off and the bike doesn't have any power.

When its 50 or 60 out it has no problems.

I also have the problem of not being able to rev past 5000.

Cheap pod filters, I cleaned them using K&N cleaner but who knows if that is okay.
Stock exhaust, everything else stock.

I also lose power on 75 degree days after riding at 60mph for a few miles.

I have read it is possibly the magnet on the rotor. Was considering pamco.

Battery brand new this year, AGM, and I am going to check alternator brushes today.

Thanks
-Eric

Update:

I figured out the problem. I was running really lean. My mix screws were at 1.5 turns when they were supposed to be at 3-3.5 turns.

Last edited:
erice1984,

You could be experiencing icing in the carbs due to the decrease in temperature caused by the drop in air pressure from the inlet to the other side of the slide. This phenomena is very prevalent in small piston powered aircraft that use carburetors and is especially prone to happening in high humidity conditions.

I have TCI and BS34s and never experienced this in cold down to at least 20 F. I have stock air boxes though. You know, the normal line from the breather to the air box might heat the air through the carb some. But I would start with a real thorough tune up. You could check the TCI with a timing light to see what it was doing, if you wanted. And if you don't have stock jets and needles and etc, you could contemplate those items...

if put your original air boxes back on the problem will be solved. those cheap pod filters look good ,but only filter rocks . you're getting too much air and cold temps makes it worse. with stock jets and boxes + cold air = more hp, unless you want to experiment with jets.

Back