Why use '79?

amiller

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new to xs650 and am looking into making a bobber. I was wondering why so many people choose 79's to make their bobbers? I've seen other years that make great bobbers too. Thanks.

I got my 79 by accident. It was the one on CL at the time. Now, I've found that the 78-79's have desirable carbs, 38's, and are the last year for the points.(not that's good or bad, since I've got a Boyer that came on the bike). Maybe Yamaha just made a lot of them in 79?

It might not be an active preference thing, but because '79 was the last year to make a Standard with the 36 spoke wheels. The later were either 64 spokes on the Heritage and are considered by many (myself included) to be ugly, or mags. I don't really care much about the XS timeline, but that seems fairlyaccurate to the best of my knowledge.

Mostly though, it's probably just because the later the production date, the more of them remain. I'm not a XS Historian, but I'd also be willing to bet that '79 was one of it's highest production years.

EDIT: I'd focus on anything from 77' on, if you have a choice, just because all of the bugs were worked out of them by '77. Although I really don't think you can go wrong with any of them. They were great from the beginning and only got better.

Back