Wider Swing Arm

jax21

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I am wanting to run a wider rear tire around a 180mm does anyone know of another swing arm that will fit or somewhere that makes or could make one?

Welcome aboard jax.
That's a big tyre! Been done before though (I think mostly with custom made swing arms). Also need to get the countershaft sprocket out a long way to meet it (there's guys who sell them I think)!
Have a search here for yamaha_chop, that's one I know of with a big tyre. :cheers:

Thanks for the reply yamaman.
I kinda thought it would end up being a custom swing arm I just hope that it is doable with a mostly stock frame. I want to get rid of the passenger peg brkts to clean up the lines and hopefully take care of clearance issues maybe? I know were I can get a offset sprocket so I don't think that would be a problem.

jax21- Welcome, we have some great fabricators in this area. I have my VRod swingarm being extended as we speak. Send me a pm and we will get together. As I am also in Wilmington.

jax21 - could you tell me about your source for offset sprockets? I might need one as well.

I got a swing arm from a kawasaki zephyr 55o that I want to use with a kawasaki z1000 disc hub and a 3½" wide 17" akront rim for a 140 or 150 tire. I have not recieved the hub yet and dont know about the sprocket offset on it. The zephyr swing arm seems very promising though.

This is my first post here - it's a very inspiring site.

/Mads

- see here
- gary poh

offsetkit10_IMG.JPG

offsetkit11_IMG.JPG

Thats a nice looking set up. Just brainstorming here but was thinking about running a hydraulic clutch set up. So if I were to do that I could probably cut the side cover out were the sprocket is and that way not have to run the side cover spacer?

Yes, with a jackshaft setup, you don't need to do any modifications to your side cover.
Here's a pic of a XS650 chopper with a 250 rear tire and a jackshaft setup.

2700043761_a3533693c5_o.jpg

2700860278_258eb46c0c_o.jpg

I keep on hearing people say offset sprockets put a lot of strain on the gearbox shaft, is this right? but on the other hand I wonder how much power the jack shaft takes from the engine if any:shrug:

Here is a quote I found in another thread on this site.
"Google, Gary Poh XS650. He makes offset sprockets for the XS. Typically he will tell you that with a 180 tire you will have to go out to a .750" offset front sprocket. He makes the .750 for 180/200 tire conversions. He has quite a few posts up at 650motorcycles.com showing pics of hardtailed XS's with a 200 rear. Keep in mind Gary says that anything over roughly .250 offset front will require you to space the outer alternator cover out to make room for the sprocket (he sells the spacer), you will also need to lengthen your clutch pushrod (he sells this also). To get his whole kit is roughly $500 bucks, but you get the sprocket, spacer for cases, pushrod peice, gaskets, and instructions. "

Thats a nice looking set up. Just brainstorming here but was thinking about running a hydraulic clutch set up. So if I were to do that I could probably cut the side cover out were the sprocket is and that way not have to run the side cover spacer?

- if youre thinking hydraulic clutch, it will need to be mounted somewhere

Swingarm.com looks good but I would rather try and get something built locally that way if there are any issues I can see and talk to someone face to face. When I say modify the side cover I don't mean completely chopping it off. I plan to cut the splash guard off anyway so basically just trim it up some more to go around there the sprocket would be that way I save some money and build a small chain guard around the sprocket so that way I am not riding around without pants on! :yikes:
I have seen pics somewhere of someone who shall we say modified there side cover and I thought it looked nice but I don't remember where since my last computer burned up but ill see if I can find it to maybe clear up what I have in mind. Maybe a little computer paintbrush on a regular cover would help clarify.

Back