Rear mag wheel not true?

Wrenchmorethanride

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey XS Gurus,

I thought I was almost done with my project. Did a lot of work and got her running good.

I finally got the new Shinko tires put together on the rims and think maybe I have a problem.

The tire hits the bar for the brake caliper on the right or if I adjust it the other way it runs on the right side somewhere. It does not rub all the way around the tire, only on a small part of it. When I spin the wheel I see a wobble.

A friend gave me the bike and I recall he said it was in a fender bender early on. He got hit in the back at a stop light. Too it to dealer and they inspected wheel and said it was good. My guess is the original tires were narrower than the Shinko’s and now the wobble is showing up due to wider tires.

Or is there something else I’m doing wrong?

If rim is bent s we what are options?

Thanks!!

I checked both sides. Looks like the bead is sealed evenly. No obvious issue I can see. Look even all the way around on both sides.

I did another test. I held a small pen flashlight against the brake caliper and close to the rim. Then I spun the wheel. There is some variance in the distance as it spins.

I was hoping it would be the easy fix for you.
First would be to check for any play in the wheel bearings or misaligned shims :shrug:
Looking for anything before you have to pull the tire.
Next would be to pull the tire and check the rim with a dial indicator.

I would sight down the chain and see what you have there. IMHO that’s the first thing to get right. If the bike got hit it might have a tweaked swingarm. There is only so many components to that rear end, and you can eliminate them one by one.
Spun it and the chain looks straight.

I did another test. Let me know if this tells us anything.

I put my head against the rear brake light to keep it steady.

Spun the tire and looked at the brake rotor. Looked good, no wobble.

Spun again. Looked at distance between tire and brake rotor. There is definitely a difference as the tire spun.

Spun a 3rd time. Looked at distance between rotor and wheel rim. Used a finger on the rotor as a guide to judge distance. This was a little harder to get an accurate read on but it seemed the distance was even as it spun.

So, maybe the tire isn’t even on the rim?

Take another close look at the tire where it meets the rim. There is usually a small single or double bead of rubber there and that tells you if the tire is fully seated and "popped out" all the way .....

BeadSeat.jpg

Take another close look at the tire where it meets the rim. There is usually a small single or double bead of rubber there and that tells you if the tire is fully seated and "popped out" all the way .....

View attachment 325397
The front tire has 2 beads and it’s easy to see. The rear looks like the photo you posted with a single bead (as far as I can see) and very hard to tell if it’s not seated. I can’t see anything obvious. Would it be easy to spot?

If you look closely, it usually is. That small bead of rubber will run in under the rim where the tire isn't fully seated and popped out all the way. If it's seated correctly, you should have a small, equal space all the way around the rim between it and that small bead of rubber.

Last edited:
If you look closely, it usually is. That small bead of rubber will run in under the rim where the tire isn't fully seated and popped put all the way. If it's seated correctly, you should have a small, equal space all the way around the rim between it and that small bead of rubber.
It’s hard to tell with the wheel stationary. I spun it and looked at the distance between the bead and the rim. It definitely varies around the tire.

Should I try to deflate and reinflate? Just bring it back to the shop who did the swap? Other ideas?

Thanks again

It’s hard to tell with the wheel stationary. I spun it and looked at the distance between the bead and the rim. It definitely varies around the tire.

Should I try to deflate and reinflate? Just bring it back to the shop who did the swap? Other ideas?

Thanks again
Take it back to them, they should have known to do it right in the first place.

One way to properly seat the tire beads are to remove the wheel, deflate to a lower psi say 15-20, apply soapy water to the tire bead with a brush, inflate the tire back up as high as 50 psi if necessary.
Use a dead blow or rubber mallet and smack the tire side wall pretty hard repeatedly. That smacking produces vibes that help that tire to creep or sometimes snap into correct position.
You can even bounce the wheel / tire like a basketball if your good enough to not send it off sideways into your wifes car lol.

I’ve had an issue getting Shinko tires to seat on the aluminum rims. If the old oxidation isn’t cleaned off well enough it doesn’t allow the tire to seat properly, I.E. not cleaning between mounts. I had a similar issue with a front tire. I mounted it so the only tire hack was me…..

Back