Will 1974 Yamaha 650 fork tubes fit on my 1972 XS-2?

battlecat

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have been fairly desperate to find replacement fork tubes for my 1972 XS-2 (they are badly rusted) so tonight I found what I thought was a really good deal on a pair of fork tubes (complete inner/outer tubes in good condition) on Ebay. The seller stated "if I recall correctly they came off a 1973" so I did some research and found that 1973 TX650 tubes would fit on my XS-2 (they would just have a couple extra ears on the left side fork leg, presumably for a double-disc brake setup - by the way, why did Yamaha include extra ears on the left fork leg for an extra disc brake in 1973 when they didn't offer a dual-disc system until 1974??). Anyway, I compared pictures of the 1973 TX 650 fork legs with the ones that they guy was selling on Ebay and they looked the same - so I bought them. Afterward, I discovered that the 1973 TX650 had external fork caps while the ones I bought had those recessed ones (which means they are probably 1974 fork legs, right??). On further research I find that the tubes are 34mm on the '72, '73 and '74. My question is this...if they ARE 1974 fork legs, can I still use them on my XS-2 (and be able to bolt on the XS-2 fender, brake caliper, etc.??). I'm gonna try to upload a couple pics of the fork legs I bought (as soon as I can figure out how to!)

Last edited:
I would buy new tubes and rebuild the ones you have if the lowers are good. The ones on ebay have rust not good.

Thanks, Scabber...I'm afraid I already bought the ones off Ebay. By the way, do you know a good source for tubes? Mike's XS hasn't had tubes for my bike for a couple years now. I have contacted "Forking by Frank" and they quoted me nearly $300 bucks for tubes for my bike.

If the tubes are 34 MM they should work. If the lowers are different you might be able to use yours. I posted by mistake. Other than Mikes and franks for new. TwoMany was on line he knows.

...TwoMany was on line he knows.

Huh, what? (*blink*, *blink*)

OMG, 72-73-74 parts interchangeability! This is that difficult transition area, 306 to 366 to 477. Attached are excerpts of the 70-74 Service and Parts manuals. They're not very clear on the details of the transition period, but the 72-73, XS2-TX650 inner fork tubes are the same. In 74, for the TX650A, the top bracket, triple-clamp, went to the pinch type, with the different fork tubes and the top cap bolt, so no interchange there. Also, note at the bottom of the service excerpt mentions the extra lugs on the TX650. gggGary may have some input on this.

Unless you get lucky on eBay or such, you're best off like Scabber sez to get Frank's...

Attachments

• 72-73-FrForks-PartsManual.jpg
    72-73-FrForks-PartsManual.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 425
  • 72-73-FrForks-SvcManual.jpg
    72-73-FrForks-SvcManual.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 540
What I am fairly certain of.
Don't trust the parts fiches there are a lot of errors especially 72-73.
The 72 RH lower, axle, spacers, rotor, carrier, ad nauseum are all one year parts no interchange to any other year.

What needs some research; 72 upper (inner) tubes interchange with?
although the top triple changed as 2many notes, I am not sure that changed the tubes. I once thought early tubes had a taper fit to the top triple but they don't. I have a loose set of new 71 XS1B FxF tubes and a couple sets of 72 forks but I don't have a set of 72 forks apart. I might have a 74/75 fork also together, to compare.
Not trying to bogart that joint my friend, I have a 72 waiting for restoration and the extra 72 front end with "better" tubes is in reserve for that bike.
I'll guess that's the rub; til the various models are apart it's tough to tell if the bottom of the tube, damper area is the same from year to year.
I forked over the $300 for the new FXF tubes and have deep reservations about the chrome thickness on her tubes. I have never seen a set of used FXF tubes that DIDN'T have the chrome worn away at the seal area. I have seen at least 5 or 6 XS650 sets, all extended tubes, which would increase the wear, but still......

Huh, what? (*blink*, *blink*)

OMG, 72-73-74 parts interchangeability! This is that difficult transition area, 306 to 366 to 477. Attached are excerpts of the 70-74 Service and Parts manuals. They're not very clear on the details of the transition period, but the 72-73, XS2-TX650 inner fork tubes are the same. In 74, for the TX650A, the top bracket, triple-clamp, went to the pinch type, with the different fork tubes and the top cap bolt, so no interchange there. Also, note at the bottom of the service excerpt mentions the extra lugs on the TX650. gggGary may have some input on this.

Unless you get lucky on eBay or such, you're best off like Scabber sez to get Frank's...
Thanks for responding, TwoMany. I don't supposed it would be possible to switch the ends caps from my bike to the '74 forks and make it work, huh?

What I am fairly certain of.
Don't trust the parts fiches there are a lot of errors especially 72-73.
The 72 RH lower, axle, spacers, rotor, carrier, ad nauseum are all one year parts no interchange to any other year.

What needs some research; 72 upper (inner) tubes interchange with?
although the top triple changed as 2many notes, I am not sure that changed the tubes. I once thought early tubes had a taper fit to the top triple but they don't. I have a loose set of new 71 XS1B FxF tubes and a couple sets of 72 forks but I don't have a set of 72 forks apart. I might have a 74/75 fork also together, to compare.
Not trying to bogart that joint my friend, I have a 72 waiting for restoration and the extra 72 front end with "better" tubes is in reserve for that bike.
I'll guess that's the rub; til the various models are apart it's tough to tell if the bottom of the tube, damper area is the same from year to year.
I forked over the $300 for the new FXF tubes and have deep reservations about the chrome thickness on her tubes. I have never seen a set of used FXF tubes that DIDN'T have the chrome worn away at the seal area. I have seen at least 5 or 6 XS650 sets, all extended tubes, which would increase the wear, but still......
Thanks for responding gggGary. I am currently exploring with the seller if I can cancel the purchase. I certainly understand if he declines to do this and maybe if I end up with the 74 tubes I can experiment to see what parts I can interchange, huh?

I'm going through this exact same thing. I bought what was listed as a 73 TX650 fork. I don't know what it is. I do not believe it is from a 73 TX650 though.

While the 72 fork cap will screw in, it will not screw in all the way. There is something different in the machining of the forks. The 73 listed fork cap has a smaller head.

Thanks Weaselbeak and CalsXS2! It is looking more and more like I can't use 'em. If the seller won't let me cancel the purchase, I'll have to figure out what else I can do with them. Otherwise I may have to resort to "Forking by Frank" to get new tubes.

IIRC the 70-72 top triple has a ridge at the top of the fork holes, tightening the cap/tube against that ridge is what holds the fork tube tightly to the top triple. Yes it was a hokey way to do it.

Thanks for responding, TwoMany. I don't supposed it would be possible to switch the ends caps from my bike to the '74 forks and make it work, huh?

This is way out of my pay grade. CalsXS2 experience is worth noting. And listen to the guy with 3 metric tons of XS parts. Just for grins, more attachments. From 1974 TX650A Service 'supplementary', and 74-75 front forks parts fiche from:

http://www.biker.net/74-76_650_parts/650abc parts main.html

If you cross compare the fork internals with the previous attachments, you'll find differences.

Attachments

• 74TX650A-ServiceSupplm-01.jpg
    74TX650A-ServiceSupplm-01.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 226
  • 74TX650A-ServiceSupplm-02.jpg
    74TX650A-ServiceSupplm-02.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 224
  • 74TX650A-ServiceSupplm-FrForks.jpg
    74TX650A-ServiceSupplm-FrForks.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 351
  • 74-75-Parts-FrForks01.jpg
    74-75-Parts-FrForks01.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 314
  • 74-75-Parts-FrForks02.jpg
    74-75-Parts-FrForks02.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 343
  • 74-75-Parts-FrForks03.jpg
    74-75-Parts-FrForks03.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 300
Yes the early top triple has about a 1/4" thick ridge at the top that locks the tube to it. Cal how far from "all the way" does the 72 cap thread into the 75 tube?

This is way out of my pay grade. CalsXS2 experience is worth noting. And listen to the guy with 3 metric tons of XS parts. Just for grins, more attachments. From 1974 TX650A Service 'supplementary', and 74-75 front forks parts fiche from:

http://www.biker.net/74-76_650_parts/650abc parts main.html

If you cross compare the fork internals with the previous attachments, you'll find differences.

Don't go givingin me more credit than credit is due,,,,lol.

Yes the early top triple has about a 1/4" thick ridge at the top that locks the tube to it. Cal how far from "all the way" does the 72 cap thread into the 75 tube?

It was last month when I was dealing with this. But from memory, it was roughly 1/8''- 3/16'' from tightening up. And I did try 6 different caps.

So you are thinking I have a 75 tube. Truthfully. I got all disgusted with the whole fork project and had to get away from it. Not only did this tube not work for me but the nos tube I bought from a dealer is wrong too. It is about that same 1/8-3/16 short in over all length.

I was so disgusted I took the new tires I was about to mount on the XS2 and put them on the TX750. :eek:

Ha! Thanks guys - I'm afraid you're all right and that I just bought something I can't use
(sigh) Oh well, it's only money ;) . Haven't heard from the seller yet. But thanks again for your thoughtful answers!

Last edited:

3 years late. But.... I don't remember off hand how far it doesn't screw down, but a spacer could be machined to solve that problem. I would like to install a 73 top triple on my 72, for the added fork clamp and I feel confident that there will be no problems. Huh?

Since we're discussing fork tube differences, I am considering installing dual disc's on the front of my 72. I recently found a picture of a stock 73 with dual discs, so I'd like to try..

The left lower tube on the 72 doesn't allow for a second caliper, but the 73 does, so I'd have to get a 73 left lower tube.
1. Couldn't tell from any of the above info if the internals from a 72 and 73 will swap. That will remain iffy until I try. Anyone?
2. The axles? Do they interchange?
3. The 72 hub and speedo gear appears to be different. The 73 , (from pictures), looks similar to a 75 that I own. Is there a difference between the axles and lower tube mounts?

Can O worms warning!!! About every part of that 72 fork, axle, wheel, brake is unique. IMHO you would be better swapping in a complete later model fork. I'd suggest a 78 up from either a standard or special they're the same. But you would either need to use a spacer or swap stem tubes, All 1974 up stems/necks are about 1/2" taller.

Can O worms warning!!! About every part of that 72 fork, axle, wheel, brake is unique. IMHO you would be better swapping in a complete later model fork. I'd suggest a 78 up from either a standard or special they're the same. But you would either need to use a spacer or swap stem tubes, All 1974 up stems/necks are about 1/2" taller.
I dont know about the 78 and up, but the 75 front end will hit the tank. Haven't swapped it physically, but my measurements say it will hit. The 70-72 tanks are more forward on the frame. I'd like to know if the 72 and 73 axles are the same? But as you say, "Can O Worms" with a 72.

Back