Will 1974 Yamaha 650 fork tubes fit on my 1972 XS-2?

72 axle is one year only.

axles all years.jpg

72 axle is one year only.

View attachment 110733
Well, nuff said! That's final! I give up! Thank you! That is quite a presentation. Like 2M said, "listen to the guy with 3 metric tons of XS parts!" That be you.
No, I'm not giving up. I still want to explore the possibility of a dual disc on my 72. But, really, thanks a lot.
My other quest is to install a 75 swingarm on my 72. At a glance it seems like spacers will do the trick. Has anyone ever tried it? Rough measurements show the 75 is about 1-3/8" longer. Any comments?

Swingarms; width at the pivot and width of the shock mounts might be an issue real early bikes are narrow at one or both. not sure what year it changed. just a need to check thing before plowing ahead (spending any money LOL).

I put 35mm forks on my XS2
Before

After

I pressed the stem back through the lower triple until it was the same length up top as the XS2 lower and stem, then welded it there on the bottom side and swapped the whole thing on using tapered bearings. I also swapped on the longer swing arm from the same '79 Special.

Last edited:
I put 35mm forks on my XS2
Before

After

I pressed the stem back through the lower triple until it was the same length up top as the XS2 lower and stem, then welded it there on the bottom side and swapped the whole thing on using tapered bearings. I also swapped on the longer swing arm from the same '79 Special.
Hello drgonzo. Did you have to perform any major modifications to the frame or swingarm?

No, it's a straight bolt on. I did use 14" shocks as the shocks are raked forward a bit more which will lower the bike a little.

No, it's a straight bolt on. I did use 14" shocks as the shocks are raked forward a bit more which will lower the bike a little.
Interesting, yes, the lower shock mounts should be about 1.5 inches back from the 72. Did you use the newer rear wheel? From the picture, (very cool by the way), the wheels look aluminum. Are the wheels from the xs2?
I also own a 75 for parts, the 75 triple tree appears to be set back further than the xs2, did you have any problems with the forks hitting the tank?

Yes the rear is a later model wheel assembly and the front is an 18" laced to the '79 hub.

Back