Will these frames fit my '79-'80 motor?

MrObsidus

The Fuzz
Reaction score
I have a few pics for you guys. I'm having slight difficulty determining whether or not these frames will fit my '79-'80 motor.

Attached are pics of the VINs on these frames.

Attachments

• IMAG0015.jpg
    IMAG0015.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 181
  • IMAG0018.jpg
    IMAG0018.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 423
  • IMAG0021.jpg
    IMAG0021.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 191
pic #1. '79-80 motors will fit. Don't have reference books in front of me for the next 2.

This is a very odd post.

Are they xs650 frames? If not, no your motor wont fit.

If they're XS650 frames your motor will fit.

I have had a 1978 and a 1984 engine both in a 1972 frame and they fit like a glove.

All XS650 engines will fit in all XS650 frames. Only issue is the engine mounting brackets are specific to the frame but even those only changed in 73 with the frame changes.

Isn't there an issue with the upper engine mounts? Early and later ones?

Frames and mounting brackets go together. The engines will fit any frame. Again, I have a 1972 frame with presumably the 1972 mounting brackets and have had both a 1978 and 1984 engine in it.

Frames and mounting brackets go together. The engines will fit any frame. Again, I have a 1972 frame with presumably the 1972 mounting brackets and have had both a 1978 and 1984 engine in it.

Seriously? Because one of these frames is in amazing condition. Why am I hearing all this patter about certain year motors fitting only certain year frames?

I have a few pics for you guys. I'm having slight difficulty determining whether or not these frames will fit my '79-'80 motor.

Attached are pics of the VINs on these frames.

Link. PDF file with XS650 Frame/engine no for you to determine what year your frames are

Please let me know.

do some research with the PDF file in the link i posted

Seriously? Because one of these frames is in amazing condition. Why am I hearing all this patter about certain year motors fitting only certain year frames?

Seriously, you asked the question so read the answers and you will learn why they are talking about what frames and motor years interchange..... Need to refer to PDf file for frame ID in the link i posted to know what they are talking about

Any year engine will fit any year frame, the early frames S650 71/72 have different engine mounts to the later frames.

And don't forget some frames are set up for drum brake rears and some for disc with mounts for the master cylinder.

Is it a safe bet that the ones with disc brake set ups will be the ones I want? I'm using this '79-'80 motor AND a set of mags for this project so I figured that might be the case.

Well, to state what might appear obvious, if your rear wheel is disc, you want the disc brake frame/swingarm setup. If drum, then...

You're going to want to more precisely I.D. your motor year. There were significant changes done between '79 and '80. In other words, there's no such thing as a '79-'80 motor - it's either a '79 or an '80. The two big changes were a switch to an electronic ignition and BS34 carbs on the '80 motor.

I think the first two years are not a direct swap. As I recall the engine case changed around the rear mount when they added the electric start.
Pic #1 with a 447-1142?1 is a 75 XS650B
Pic #2 has glare on the first numbers but look like it might be S650-200966, iof so it's a 73
Pic #3 with an S650-128183 is a 72.
Ill start by saying that I would use the one with a title. If they all have a title I would use the frame in the first pic.
The early models have flex problems with the frame that can get a bit squirelly when hard cornering. In 74 they did a massive redesign of the frame to correct these issues. They did changes to the engine in the same year. So the 75 frame will be the strongest of the three.
From the 74 up bikes all the frames, as far as the engine and mounts are concerned, were the same. All these years will swap around with no problems.
Leo

You're going to want to more precisely I.D. your motor year. There were significant changes done between '79 and '80. In other words, there's no such thing as a '79-'80 motor - it's either a '79 or an '80. The two big changes were a switch to an electronic ignition and BS34 carbs on the '80 motor.

Wasn't the year of your motor identified in one of your previous threads

2FO 201032 is the serial number of my motor. And most pointed toward the ID as an '80 motor, but none seemed definite. I'll be using BS38 carbs to squeeze out a bit more top end.

I think the first two years are not a direct swap. As I recall the engine case changed around the rear mount when they added the electric start.
Pic #1 with a 447-1142?1 is a 75 XS650B
Pic #2 has glare on the first numbers but look like it might be S650-200966, iof so it's a 73
Pic #3 with an S650-128183 is a 72.
Ill start by saying that I would use the one with a title. If they all have a title I would use the frame in the first pic.
The early models have flex problems with the frame that can get a bit squirelly when hard cornering. In 74 they did a massive redesign of the frame to correct these issues. They did changes to the engine in the same year. So the 75 frame will be the strongest of the three.
From the 74 up bikes all the frames, as far as the engine and mounts are concerned, were the same. All these years will swap around with no problems.
Leo

Thanks! I'll be sure the 447 one up then.

2FO 201032 is the serial number of my motor. And most pointed toward the ID as an '80 motor, but none seemed definite. I'll be using BS38 carbs to squeeze out a bit more top end.

Your motor was identified in one of your earlier threads. I posted an ID chart for you to reference, (the frames you have and the engine), before i found the earlier thread.

Asking for help is what the site is for, doing no research yourself to confirm when the information is posted, is disrespectful.

I don't think the bullet missed.

Good luck

Others will help

From your engine number it is an 80 SG engine. Lookunder the covers on the head. Is there points on one side and an advancer unit on the other? If so it's a 79 if nothing in there then it's an 80.
Leo

Back