Wiring for starter and lights only

XSsesive50

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1978 XS650 Special. I am purchasing the weld on Brat kit from Monstercraftsmen and I want to get rid of some of the wiring clutter. I have the aftermarket regulator/rectifier. Also Pamco Electronic Ignition. I want to keep the electric start. Is there a diagram for running this and only brake lights, head and tail lights? Also any recommendations on a aftermarket harness?

In the "Some Wiring Diagrams" thread I like #4. It shows the basic points ignition set up with separate reg and rec. The starter circuit is in the upper left,
It also has the later TCI and combo reg/rec in boxes.
On yours being a 78 the basic is the one you want. For the Pamco Just wire it in after the Kill switch. Your aftermarket reg/rec just follow the instructions that came with it.
Leo

Thanks XSLeo. I will take a look at it after work. I plan on mounting the regulator/rectifier, fuze box and starter solenoid on a plate where the old battery box was. Do I have to insulate the solenoid or can I mount it on the bare metal plate?

Yes, right on the steel plate will be fine. Just be sure the cables don't touch anything.
Oh, fuse is spelled with an s not a z.
Leo

Hi XSsive,
all you got left to lose is the signals and the safety relays, eh?
I'd say your problem ain't with electrically insulating your stuff, it's protecting it from vibration.
Perhaps you should think about rubber mounting that plate?
BTW, electrics are protected by fuses, fuzes are for igniting explosives.

If you are not in a super hurry. I am going to offer each month a couple WIRE HARNESS KITS with FUSE BLOCK. This kit gives you wires for lights front and back / horn / coil & ignition / rear brake switch / you would just have to add the electric start. I am waiting for stock to come in and will offer them middle of this month. Was not going to offer them in 2016 but have been able to do a couple each month and sell them on EBAY.
All parts are new and shrink wrapped. If interested contact me.

Hi XSsive,
all you got left to lose is the signals and the safety relays, eh?
I'd say your problem ain't with electrically insulating your stuff, it's protecting it from vibration.
Perhaps you should think about rubber mounting that plate?
BTW, electrics are protected by fuses, fuzes are for igniting explosives.

Fredintoon, obviously my military background gave me away. :D I am a retired artilleryman.
I also thought about mounting that metal plate with rubber insulation. Thanks.

If you are not in a super hurry. I am going to offer each month a couple WIRE HARNESS KITS with FUSE BLOCK. This kit gives you wires for lights front and back / horn / coil & ignition / rear brake switch / you would just have to add the electric start. I am waiting for stock to come in and will offer them middle of this month. Was not going to offer them in 2016 but have been able to do a couple each month and sell them on EBAY.
All parts are new and shrink wrapped. If interested contact me.

DADDYGCYCLES, I like the sound of that harness. I am actually working overseas until the end of March. Message me with details when you have a minute.

Just to clarify, because I am not an electrical genius. With your harness I could pull my old original harness and just install yours?

I am selling a harness kit you still have to do some work but yes you do not use your old harness. MY harness kit gives you
3 wires for headlight ground/high/low
3 wires for tail light brake/stop/ground
2 wires for brake switch 12 volt wire/wire to tail light
2 wires for horn ground/12 volts for horn button
1 wire 12 volts for coil and ignition
4 position fuse box
YOU need to hook up switches you buy or tie them into stock handle bar switches.
KIT only gives you those wires shrink wrapped and wires go to places they need to go to.
All ends tagged for easy install all you would need to do is run a 12 volt wire from fuse block to starter relay and other wire from relay to starter button. I supply a diagram too.
Picture of harness kit below ITS for choppers/bobbers/brat bikes and wire come out under seat area

Attachments

• IMG_1388.JPG
    IMG_1388.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_1390.JPG
    IMG_1390.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_1391.JPG
    IMG_1391.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 165
OK do me a favor and pm me so I have your info and once I get the stock in I will contact you with price.
Have a great day

Back