XS Johns needle kit - how to

glennpd

4 bikes, 4 dogs, 1 wife
Reaction score
I recently purchased a XSJohn Needle kit from another forum member. It arrived today with the two color coded needles, three sets of shims, and a wire. Unfortunately there were no instructions included.

Does anyone have the original instruction which came with the kit or could help me getting the kit installed correctly? It will be going on a 1980 G. Stock engine, air cleaners, and exhaust, elevation 599'.

Thanks

Glenn

xsjohn Scroll down the link to his needle kits, There are shims for the needles that are a half raise or lower for the needles. I think the wire is for the pilot jet :shrug:, john used to enlarge the jet to get an over all result. All the info you need should be in the link. At the bottom of the page there is a pic that tells you what needle goes in what side

Thanks, I will study this link.

It appears the shims are three different sizes. Since I do not know where to start I will not use any shims and start the center slot.

Here they are

Attachments

• XSJohn's BS34 needle instructions.jpg
    XSJohn's BS34 needle instructions.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 109
I hope they have all the info you need. I had scanned them some time ago just in case the paper copy ever got lost or damaged, so it was right handy.

If you still have the stock airboxes/filters on your bike, you may want to consider XSJohn's airbox modifications, which you can find explained & illustrated somewhere in the xsjohn's link given in 650Skull's post above. I did them and also relieved the rear and botton flanges on the side covers to help airflow in to the airbox inlets. I think the airbox mod's help to unlock the full improvement potential of his needles.

So. Michigan
2 bikes, 3 dogs, 1 wife

aldo5468, I posted your Directions into the xsjohn needles link so it is in the tech menu now.

I think you are right about doing the airbox mod, the end result was a sum of all and not just a part

alot depends on altitude. I was pretty rich with needles in middle and to lean with the clips up one....and i lost my shims. Thats with stock exhaust and pods. Back to stock for now.

i have john's needles on my bike, but I have pod filters, although, I rebiult a pair of 34's for a friend who refused to get rid of his original boxes, bu I talked him into john's air box mod, and canadian needles, and straight pipes. runs great.(yes, I know canadas needls have a flat spot in the upper range. it aint a race bike)
that guitar wire is to turn the stock 42 pilot into a 46. chuck the pilot in a variable speed drill, hold on to the wire with pliers, and force the wire thru the pilot.

aldo5468, I posted your Directions into the xsjohn needles link so it is in the tech menu now.

I think you are right about doing the airbox mod, the end result was a sum of all and not just a part
Thanx - I was hoping that someone would do that, so they are available to everyone on the forum.

Attached is pic of how I trimmed the side covers. From the sides, you can't tell they've been modified - only when you look from the rear. I think this is especially worth doing on the later models that have those two relays mounted right in front of the airbox inlets on the right-hand side.

Attachments

• filtercvrtrim_4.JPG
    filtercvrtrim_4.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 65
Back