XS650 Special - Bobber build for my brother

Your CF tank looks a bit different than mine.

Yours has a squared off tunnel and has mounts in the middle while mine is a rounded tunnel and has mounts at the bottom.

Where did you get yours from?

Yeah there is 3 different types of mounting for them as you can get them for 3 different types of Harley.... The one I have has a pin at the rear and two tabs at the lower front.... I got mine from Washington choppers and had it sent to OZ.

Types you can get is:

#600155 - Big Twin - EVO 1984-99 - $259 - (On Back Order). THIS IS THE ONE I GOT..
#600154 - Sportster 1982-03 - $259 - (On Back Order). THINK THIS IS THE ONE 6FITTY GOT..
#600157 - Carburated Twin Cam 88, 2000-06 - $259 - (IN STOCK).

So what's the difference with the last one for the carbed twin cam?

I have that one on order but haven't received it yet to see. I assume it's just tabs and I figured I'd have to redo them anyways.

Yeah it's only the mounting system that is different....

The carby twin cam one has a single mount extending out the rear of the tank.. The front mount extends out the front a little higher then mine but a little lower the sporty one...

Modding to fit really depends how you want to mount it.. Mine just requires a hole drilled for the rear pin and some brackets welded to the frame up front for the front mounts... My tank came with a bracket that I can cut to make the bracket I need. So to easy...

Looking good so far 6fitty! I am in oz also and I had been looking into going the hardtail route and found engineering certification to be way over the top and not worth the money and hassle. I think the only way is to do what your doing and run the guantlet and hope for the best. Don't let it run out of rego though! I am about to start a build and going to start with a frame Aust complianced but no mod plates. It's not a hardtail but has been raked and the seat frame lowered (bratstyle?) still running rear shocks. Not going to look as hot as a hardtail but will hopefully look more like a stock frame and I also have a bad back so the rear shocks will let me ride it longer. The guy I'm getting the frame from can do rwc's so as part of the deal I am going to try get him to give me a rwc and register it before I start building. If he doesn't come to the party I will just have to buy an already roadworthy bike, keep it registered, modify and run the guantlet like you. I have been told heaps of people do it that way over here and unless you run across some real hardarse copper you should be sweet. Have even been told that this guy has built modded bikes for cops who do the same thing, Lol! Anyway like the way your build is going and looking forward to it's progress.

Looking good so far 6fitty! I am in oz also and I had been looking into going the hardtail route and found engineering certification to be way over the top and not worth the money and hassle. I think the only way is to do what your doing and run the guantlet and hope for the best. Don't let it run out of rego though! I am about to start a build and going to start with a frame Aust complianced but no mod plates. It's not a hardtail but has been raked and the seat frame lowered (bratstyle?) still running rear shocks. Not going to look as hot as a hardtail but will hopefully look more like a stock frame and I also have a bad back so the rear shocks will let me ride it longer. The guy I'm getting the frame from can do rwc's so as part of the deal I am going to try get him to give me a rwc and register it before I start building. If he doesn't come to the party I will just have to buy an already roadworthy bike, keep it registered, modify and run the guantlet like you. I have been told heaps of people do it that way over here and unless you run across some real hardarse copper you should be sweet. Have even been told that this guy has built modded bikes for cops who do the same thing, Lol! Anyway like the way your build is going and looking forward to it's progress.

Hey Greenmachine, Cheers. how far into did you look? Did you manage to get any quotes? I'm not too worried about it not having a RWC but I am a bit worried about TAC coverage and 3rd Party insurance. So if I ever do have an accident... because the bike has a modified frame and no eng cert... does that mean I have no personal cover and no 3rd party?? That would normally come from just registering the vehicle. I dont like the idea of riding it if I has no basic cover provided by the rego. Any idea about this?

Good luck with your idea too mate. Sounds like the more legit way to go about it. Just got my PAMCO kit in the mail yesterday. Pretty keen to start the engine rebuild soon as I can get some paint on it.

That's right! If your do have an acco in anyway shape or form, any coverage you "have" is void if the bike is not as on paper.... Even if you do engineer it but say with mid controls and then you convert to forward controls.. your classed as not engineered and all coverage is void. The bike has to be as per the paper work....

So green machine even with your rake and seat drop, if you did have an acco and when it's all assessed it would be classed as a modified bike and all coverage would be void..

My engineer charged me $220 to start my files (4 bikes) and it will be $1450-$1650 for each bike for the papper work once complete...

Hmm... I thought that might be the case... only really thought about the TAC / 3rd party insur the other day... not worried about full comprehensive coverage for the bike.

Have you found out anything regarding the Ardcore frames being from America? Like I assume its not built to AS Standards (compliant) so without that cert how do they go about engineering it. or does it not matter as long as the calcs work out.

I'm an engineer myself (but not certified for vehicle sign off) and I know how we charge haha thats why I am steering away but its a must do if it means the bike would be completely uncovered.

My next thought is... do you build the whole bike and get it engineered at the end? Or is it best to do it along the way so if the welds dont pass xray you can grind and fix them.. or something similar. I'm basically approaching the point of no return with the frame in that respect.

Thanks heaps for the info on this too guys. Really been playing on my mind the last few weeks.

Bobber boy, did you sort your 2 4" ardcore issues?? If not can I help in anyway with dimensions or photos? I read your thread and it seemed like you had gone about it the same way i did. Same cut lengths etc.

My engineer just wanted to know what steel was used to make it... Basically it just couldn't be chromoly...

Yeah it's not cheap but I still think its worth it...

Ok the plan of attach should be to speak to an engineer from the start so its all built to there standard... Once you've welded the tail on then get the X-rays done.. Not all engineers request it to be xrayed but I think it's a good idea as it gives a little more certainty that it's not gunna snap and throw you down the road.. Then once the welds have passed you can then move on to full mock up... Then take it back to the engineer to make sure he's happy with everything.. Once he's approved it then you can strip it for paint, powder coat, chrome etc.. And do final build.... Once the bike is 100% built and ready for the road then take it in for final engineering then rego an ride....

Make sure you talk to the engineer along the way to make sure he's happy with the items you want to run like neck gussets, foot control, hand controls, seat setup, brake setup, etc, etc, etc....

I'll pm you with some info on my issues with my bikes...

Thats gold!

I took your advise and did some ringing around. After about 40 bloody phone calls I managed to find an engineer here in Perth that does it. And he is 10 mins away. He is a retired Forensic Engineer. He charges $200 per hr but told me if all the welds are visually up to scratch on the hardtail joins then thats all he needs to see. Reckons gernally costs about $350 or so...

Just have to get papers from Transport WA so he can do it.

If we go for neck gussets he expects it to cost more cause he will need to Mag Pen the welds up there.

I told him the rest of our plans and he said it was all pretty straight forward from what he can tell and that we should just arrange an intial consult to talk about the mods before we go too much further.

I'll suss out our final design thoughts and get back to him. I expect if we go with the neck gussets it might cost around $500 or so which i am more than willing to pay just for piece of mind.

Sounds pretty positive. Thanks alot for your input on this. Very valuable. I'm pretty interested in your info on the issues you've had.

Cheers

Yeah no worries hay... That's awesome your getting it sorted.

I so hate NSW. LoL. Everything is so strict here and so expensive. !!!

Yeah should have a chance tomorrow or Monday and I'll get some pix and pm them to you.. I found a bit of an issue with my frame but I still can't see why it would make the rear seem to short.. But anyways. I'll update you once I get some pix...

Exactly what Bobber boy has said as far as your insurances go, they would be void and really your just getting around the rego side of things so it "looks" legit and you have a rego plate on your bike but when it comes down to it there's nothing legit about it, as I said "running the guantlet".
Its good to hear you have found an engineer that seems reasonable. I rang a few to whom the first 2 were not interested at all. The next guy said in his opinion its not worth it cost wise as he would have to xray welds, do braking tests and all other kinds of testing etc that it would run into the thousands and that he would not want to take the job on either but he put me onto a guy from a custom bike shop that has had it done. So talked to the guy from the bike shop who said he used to do it about 5 years ago untill it all became too hard. I also asked about the complete new hardtail frames you can get from suppliers in the usa and he said the engineer would make you bring 3 or 4 over to conduct testing on and if all goes well you still have to go through ICV route /testing etc with the rest of the bikes components. All started sounding really expensive. He did say I would be able to find someone to do the engineering cert alot easier but there are not many that will put there engineering liscense on the line for a one off job but there are people who would. So after all my rambling on sounds like you have found the right guy and also bobber boy's prices he was quoted sound reasonable if that makes everything legit so at least there is some hope and I might try alot more ringing around to find a guy that will take the job on for a reasonable price here in Qld.

Yeh right. My thinking has totally changed! It is a must for me now. Not interested in putting my brothers life (if he is injured and cant work) or anyone else's on the line for a couple of grand. Sounds like I totally fluked it finding this guy though.

I mentioned to him the $1800 odd prices you guys have been quoted and he replied and I quote "Yeah, I'm not out to rob anybody... I'm just having fun!"

Hope its all legit. If it is, might be worth you guys taking a holiday in perth? Bring a couple of pairs of jocks and your frame hahaha Will definetly keep you updated.

PAMCO Arrived and so did the PMA kit, fork droppers, rear brake locator, foot peg mounts. Shits happening!!

PAMCO KIT.
full

Carbies are out of the Ultra-sonic bath and getting reco'd, heres a little before and after progress shot:

full

full

Did some cleaning up of the frame yesterday too, just got rid of some unnecessaries.

full

full

full

full

full

full

The engine should go to painters early this week, hopefully tomorrow.

The 48mm welch plug I bought was a no go. Getting it down to a size that would fit meant it had almost no wall thickness so the hunt begins for a 47mm one.

I mentioned to him the $1800 odd prices you guys have been quoted and he replied and I quote "Yeah, I'm not out to rob anybody... I'm just having fun!"

So wish I could find someone like that here.. Both engineers ive had dealings with have both been the same.. Pay what I ask or go else where... Problem then is trying to find someone else that will even touch the cars and bikes I do..

Can't wait till I'm up to the point of ordering electronic parts....

Got quoted $1248 to paint just the engine in a matt black.... seems a bit steep right?

I guess I'm going to try the ol' rattle shake and spray job.

Figure if i get the prep right and do it carefully it should be ok. I have had success with a spray can before...

Any comments? How is everyone else painting their engines if they are?

Back