Yamaha 650 Twin Chopper?

rdeed

rdeed
Reaction score
I know, I know, everyone too their own, but should a 650 twin ever be a chopper? It just seems sacrilegious!
Bobber maybe, street tracker sure, stock - absolutely!
Sorry chopper guys.:):)
Five time owner and a purist at heart.

Last edited:
I have no issue with building a chopper from a basket case making a new frame from scratch or buying an aftermarket frame. But I hate to see perfectly good frames get the axe.

Bikes. etc., are only combinations of metal, plastic, rubber, controlled by the laws of entropy. Whatever value they have is just in our own eyes. So cut it up or restore it, keep it polished or let it rust, ride it or let it sit, just stay true to your vision, mind your own business, hope others mind theirs. In the long run we're all dead anyway, enjoy while you can.

Bikes. etc., are only combinations of metal, plastic, rubber, controlled by the laws of entropy. Whatever value they have is just in our own eyes. So cut it up or restore it, keep it polished or let it rust, ride it or let it sit, just stay true to your vision, mind your own business, hope others mind theirs. In the long run we're all dead anyway, enjoy while you can.

Sounds good but have you compared prices of fully restored antiques, all original antiques and choppers? I used to manage a scrapyard-- nobody even looks at old chopper frames. But hey, the more you chop the more mine are worth.

I say as long as you ride it, do what ever. I agree to not chop a perfect bike to pieces though. That's just a waste. But it's also their bike.
I'm still stuck on people who own 10 high dollar, or perfect, bikes and keep them locked away in their garage 'cuz they don't want to mess them up. They are inanimate objects designed for a purpose. And that purpose is not to sit, but to be on the road as transportation, to be riden. Everytime I see a low milage bike I think about how someone has NOT taken care of it. "It's only got 6K on the clock". So, what you are saying is that the oil in the case is 25 years old, right?
So what is worse? A guy that chops or modifies his bike to make something he wants to, and will, ride a bunch? Or some guy who has beautiful, all original, bikes quietly dying from lack of sunlight in his garage?

I say as long as you ride it, do what ever. I agree to not chop a perfect bike to pieces though. That's just a waste. But it's also their bike.
I'm still stuck on people who own 10 high dollar, or perfect, bikes and keep them locked away in their garage 'cuz they don't want to mess them up. They are inanimate objects designed for a purpose. And that purpose is not to sit, but to be on the road as transportation, to be riden. Everytime I see a low milage bike I think about how someone has NOT taken care of it. "It's only got 6K on the clock". So, what you are saying is that the oil in the case is 25 years old, right?

It's been my experience that most of those low mileage bikes were bought by some bozo who thought he wanted to own a motorcycle but soon found out he didn't really have what it takes to ride. So in his shame it gets parked. If we're lucky it's kept in the back of the garage. I have several XS650s and only 1, the one I ride almost daily, has over 10,000 miles on it. I put 8,000 of its 16,000 in the last year. What kills me is cleaning up rust heaps with less than 3000 miles like the 74 TX I'm working on now. 2,800 miles on the odometer and a complete pile of rust from having been outside since '74.

Besides, most choppers hardly get rode at all-- chopping is usually a death sentence. Either they get cut up and never finished (I bought several that way) or they get finished by some "custom builder" who prices himself out of the market until some bozo walks in the shop and buys an overpriced bike that is such a nightmare to ride that it gets parked and never rode. Then someday it ends up in the scrapyard where everyone walks past it to get to the stockers.

Case in point: Where are all the thousands of choppers that were chopped 35 years ago? In recycled Chinese steel, that's where.

But like I said, the more that get the axe the more mine are worth. In the meantime people cry about high prices. :bike:

PS.
"So what is worse? A guy that chops or modifies his bike to make something he wants to, and will, ride a bunch? Or some guy who has beautiful, all original, bikes quietly dying from lack of sunlight in his garage?"

I'd say both are about as bad as the other.

Last edited:
This debate has, and will, go on forever. Cut it, chop it, keep it stock, whatever, but just ride it.

I'm just thankful for "Cafe Racer TV". Makes my 2 Triumph pre-units and 2 BSA's just grow in value.

Why are people so concerned with everybody else's business? Would you like it if someone told you what cloths are ok for you to wear, or what music is acceptable for you to listen to?

for people living in the land of the free you sure do want to control what others do.

You've got gems there. Do you plan on chopping them?

Didn't plan on it. I only own one hardtail because the bike was cut to be a "cafe" by the PO. I honestly don't chop bikes. I don't put stupid ass, un-needed "performance" carbs on them either. I keep them bone stock. And, again, it's my bike.

But one thing I do have, are clean titles. How many all original bikes are out there that have no title? Not having a title in my state is a death sentance.

Again, I personally won't chop a good bike. Basically the, "if it ain't broke..". But I will not hesitate to build something I like, no matter what anyone say's. If I feel like torching a bike, so be it. The owner should have kept it or the sideliners should have bought it. I have the capicity to complete a project myself.
I totally agree with Mrkil. If it were up to some people, we would all ride the same, exact bike. I don't make fun of Floridians for owning 4X4 and never using it. It's their vehicle.

Why are people so concerned with everybody else's business? Would you like it if someone told you what cloths are ok for you to wear, or what music is acceptable for you to listen to?

for people living in the land of the free you sure do want to control what others do.
I was stating my opinion and was not in anyway suggesting we should all ride the same thing ...................... am I not entitled to my own opinion .......... the forum is a chat site OK ................Lighten-up, PLEASE!!

I have a 30,000 Km bike (18,600 mile). I am planning on hard tailing it this winter, I like the boardtracker style and I picked up my stock XS for a really good deal.

I would rather buy a bike that is in good condition, not needing any work. I am a mechanic by trade but I don’t want to spend the extra money and the hassle of rebuilding when I’d rather be out riding.

I say; do what you want, chop/bob or keep it stock. I love to ride and would never put someone down for the type of bike or style that someone rode. As long as it’s safe and you know how to ride, head out on the highway.

I'm not concerned really. Opinions were asked and I replied.

And yes, I do want to control you and my first order is for you to keep on chopping so my stockers will continue to go up in value.

As long as you dont put a massive rear tire on it, I say do what ever you want!

Too late! ;)

DSCF1699.jpg

Back