Yeah, more wiring questions...

kvanderploeg

The Dutch Terror
Reaction score
I didn't think I'd be this stumped right out of the gate. I've been looking over the wiring diagrams thinking, this can't be so hard. Well, I'm already stuck. This is on a 1980. I'm assuming this is the pickup coil? It has three wires, Red, Black, and Gray. I'm not seeing these colors on any of the diagrams.

SDC12825.jpg

And is this the neutral switch?

SDC12826.jpg

Thanks!

Kent

The green one that come alone of the engine is the neutral signal, the others come from the stator but I am not sure why had differents colors...

The three wire is the pickup, as you said. Its colors are wrong on the diagram. To test, read about 700 ohms from the black to each of the others. Actual resistance varies widely.

Exactly right... the one on top of the motor is the neutral switch, usually a baby blue color on a diagram. When tranny is in neutral, it works as a ground to trigger your safety relays and neutral light.

The other one is your pick-up coil. It plugs into your wiring harness like this... all 3 run to your ignition unit box.

Pick-Up coil to wiring harness
Black - Black/white
Grey - White/green
Orange - White/red

Hope it helps! Let me know if you need a wiring diagram. I have one for an 81 that I recolored.

One more question. I'm going to upgrade to Pamco and a better coil, but I'd like to slap together enough wiring to get the bike to test run for now. Does the stock coil have to be grounded to the frame in order to work? Probably a stupid question...

Kent

You would have to cut up your harness to hot wire it or make one up. You need the pickup / coil / good ground / and 12 volts to coil and TCI to fire up.
I take harness apart if you are not putting it back stock and plug in TCI /COIL / REG-REC and set up battery with ground and hot wire.
After you plug everything in you will end up with BROWN/BLUE/RED/BLACK wires not pluged inBLACK GROUND RED 12VOLTS BLUE NEUTRAIL BROWN CHARGEING. You only need RED AND BLACK TO FIRE UP. Its hard to tell you how to do it if you never did it before. I have some diagrams that may help and ther are pleanty on here. You may want to check them out.
Its easy if you done it before. I keep one setup on the side to test all the motors i get.
If you need help EMAIL ME and i will try and help you threw
RGRANT51@aol.com

Exactly right... the one on top of the motor is the neutral switch, usually a baby blue color on a diagram. When tranny is in neutral, it works as a ground to trigger your safety relays and neutral light.

what if you just cap off the neutral switch wire? would that be a problem as far as running the bike?
thx

You would have to cut up your harness to hot wire it or make one up. You need the pickup / coil / good ground / and 12 volts to coil and TCI to fire up.
I take harness apart if you are not putting it back stock and plug in TCI /COIL / REG-REC and set up battery with ground and hot wire.
After you plug everything in you will end up with BROWN/BLUE/RED/BLACK wires not pluged inBLACK GROUND RED 12VOLTS BLUE NEUTRAIL BROWN CHARGEING. You only need RED AND BLACK TO FIRE UP. Its hard to tell you how to do it if you never did it before. I have some diagrams that may help and ther are pleanty on here. You may want to check them out.
Its easy if you done it before. I keep one setup on the side to test all the motors i get.
If you need help EMAIL ME and i will try and help you threw
RGRANT51@aol.com

I think I'm pretty close to the setup you're referring to. I've got all the wiring set off to the side of the bike following one of the more basic wiring diagrams. I even have a keyswitch in the mix to cut off power. I think they coil needs to be grounded to the frame though, as I'm not getting any spark

Kent

Make sure you have 12 volts to coil. Thats were everyone screws up . Buy just plugging it in does not give you 12 volts to coil. Has to have its own wire to red and white wire USE TEAS LIGHT
You don't need blue or brown to fire up motor

Make sure you have 12 volts to coil. Thats were everyone screws up . Buy just plugging it in does not give you 12 volts to coil. Has to have its own wire to red and white wire USE TEAS LIGHT
You don't need blue or brown to fire up motor

I'm at work, so I don't have it in front of me, but I think you're onto something. I believe I connected the coil and TCI red together, but I didn't connect them to 12V. At least, I'm thinking that's my problem. Thanks for the help, and I'll give it another look tonight when I get home. I was getting in a rush last night, and you know what happens when ya rush things. :doh:

Kent

Yep thats were everyone misses just cut the RED/WHITE add 12 VOLTS and you got juice to TCI and COIL Thats were your kill should go for bike to turn motor on and off.

Yep thats were everyone misses just cut the RED/WHITE add 12 VOLTS and you got juice to TCI and COIL Thats were your kill should go for bike to turn motor on and off.

I sure hope that's it! Can I just tie a ground wire from the coil mounts to the frame for testing, or does it have to be grounded with a good solid connection (or grounded to the frame at all)?

Kent

kvanderploeg, do you have a wiring diagram?
If you look at this one it shows the TCI ignition. If you hook the TCI box and coil like this and don't wory about the extra wire it shows on the TCI. Your TCI won't have it. Hook the killswitch to battery positve and this should get your bike to run. You'll have to kick start it. until you wire up the starter.

Back