Yet another PAMCO question

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
My '79 Special has decided to become a pain in the ass with ignition issues on the old points ignition.

I'm thinking PAMCO. I reviewed Hugh's install tutorial for late model rephases with Yamaha's electronic ignition.

Being as I already have the advance mechanism, I'm thinking the PAMCO installation should be a piece of cake, and all I'll need are the PAMCO unit and the coils.

Correct?

And what's the best source for the PAMCO unit. I'd prefer to patronize one of our members.

My '79 Special has decided to become a pain in the ass with ignition issues on the old points ignition.

I'm thinking PAMCO. I reviewed Hugh's install tutorial for late model rephases with Yamaha's electronic ignition.

Being as I already have the advance mechanism, I'm thinking the PAMCO installation should be a piece of cake, and all I'll need are the PAMCO unit and the coils.

Correct?

And what's the best source for the PAMCO unit. I'd prefer to patronize one of our members.

You will need a dual output coil, wires and caps as you cannot use your stock points coils, so MikesXS offers a couple of kits that include all that plus the PAMCO itself for less than the cost of those parts if bought individually.

Part #14-0901 @ $142.00 has a good, everyday riding coil with built in wires and caps that will provide at least 3 times the spark that you are getting now from your points setup. Buy another $8 of parts and get free shipping as well.

Next up is Part #14-0911 @ $170 that includes the "Ultimate" coil that will provide even more voltage to the plugs and allow you to widen the plug gap for better mileage and more power. The extra voltage also means that you will have more than enough for easier starts and smoother idling.

Or, you can source the coil and wires elsewhere and just buy the PAMCO from www.yamahaxs650.com for $98.95 with free shipping. 5twins has a recommended coil that he is using from EBay that is very low cost. Perhaps he will come by here and share that info with us.

If your stock wires and caps are in good shape, you should be able to use them with a suitable coil. If your caps are not resistor caps, then you will have to use resistor plugs, like NGK BPR7ES instead of the stock BP7ES.

The installation was relatively easy, but as usual took longer than anticipated. The basic coil should mount in place of the OEM coils using a pair of ground straps. The high output coil required a bit of extra work figuring out a relocation as it wouldn't clear the tank. I ended up making a bracket that mounts it behind the horn.

Yes, we're lucky in that we are able to use Harley coils on our 650s and they're a dime a dozen on eBay. I started with the yellow Accel Power Pulse then moved up to the red Andrews because of it's lower ohm rating. Pete said it would work better with the Pamco although I really didn't notice much, if any, difference. They were so cheap though, I didn't mind upgrading. I got the Accel for about $14 and the Andrews for about $25. That was total including shipping and both were new near $100 retail coils ......

Coils.jpg

For wires, I use VW Beetle silicone wires. The kits are about $15, come in several colors (I use red), and include 5 wires (enough for 2 1/2 twins). The coil end plugs right into the Harley coils so all you need do is install the proper NGK cap on the other end ......

PamcoIggy3.jpg

The long rubber protection sleeve on your original plug wire can be removed, cut in half, and each piece installed on one of the new plug wires. You only really need the protection in the area the wire exits from under the tank to guard against chaffing. This also allows you to show off more of your fancy colored wire.

Basic kit with coil on order, along with a set of NGK Iridium plugs. Dunno that I'dve sprung for the plugs otherwise, but I had to spend a couple of extra bucks to get the free shipping, so I figured what the heck.

I'll let ya know how everything works out.

If you add bullet connectors and an eyelet (for the ground) to the Pamco wires, they will "plug and play" nicely with the stock harness .....

PamcoPick-upPlate.jpg

A short length of 3/16" fuel line works well for shielding the Pamco wire and the solid grommet as used in the advance housing (both housings on '80 and later) drilled w/ 3/16" bit fits the new wire perfectly. The grommet on your points wire has too large a hole through it and besides, is near impossible to remove.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but, 5twins I have stock harness and am wondering where the bullet connector on your green wire would connect? The instructions say to connect it the other terminal on the coil.

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out. :) Connected two bullets to a flat connector, slid the flat onto the coil terminal and connected the Pamco red to one bullet and the other bullet to the wiring harness. Connected eyelet to ground and connected flat to remaining Pamco green and slid onto other terminal.

Works great! Believe it or not timing was nearly spot on from straight install. Am a little concerned about future binding though, the nut on the Pamco side isn't on very tightly because I had to push the rod in further so that the advance side wouldn't stick. Lubed it like crazy too, thinking it's the bushings on that side maybe need dremel sanding a bit on the inside? :confused: Those bushings took forever to get in, I checked for rust but it was smooth clean.....

Last edited:
Back