Your thoughts on oil loss.

weekendrider

Iron Horse cowboy
Top Contributor
Reaction score
You are using/blowing through .5 qts. in <100 miles.
It isn't a leak that shows as puddles/drips on the ground.
There is no smoke or smell.
There is no obvious oil on motor or frame.
Sitting and revving creates no blow by puddle/drops.
Where is it going?

I'd say the head gasket is passing oil from the camchain tunnel into the cylinders. Have someone follow behind you as you drive down the load shifting gears. They may see puffs of black smoke as you shift gears.
Also, use a paper towel to wipe the inside of each exhaust........................if you get black on the white towel, then it indicates oil going out the exhaust.

It takes more oil burning than you have to show up as visible smoke, in my experience. New gaskets, rings, and stem seals of the best quality can be had for less than $75. Shouldn't take more than an afternoon. Whole day counting getting it in and out of the frame.

It takes more oil burning than you have to show up as visible smoke, in my experience. New gaskets, rings, and stem seals of the best quality can be had for less than $75. Shouldn't take more than an afternoon. Whole day counting getting it in and out of the frame.
Yes, I agree, the smoke may not be visable when starting up and idling.
The clues to head gasket failure:
High oil useage as noted on dip stick.
Puffs of black smoke as you shift gears.
Black soot inside exhaust pipe.
Spark plugs that blacken very quickly.

Paul I'm running UNI's
RG plugs are a lean gray. But there is plenty of soot in the pipe.

Another possibility is oil loss out the crankcase breather. Some oil loss occurs this way anyhow, but if the compression rings are worn enough to allow a lot of blow-by, you can lose quite a lot of oil fast. If you have a leakdown tester you can find out if the rings are holding pressure with an ear to the crankcase breather tube or oil filler hole. If you don't have one, rig a vented catch can on the end of the breather line, take a ride, and see what you catch with it.

Still have the oil loss. So far the reason has still eluded me.
This is the plug condition.
spare motor plug right.jpg

This is what is in a catch can after a spirited (rpm range mostly 5k+ to redline) 30 mile ride.
Water condensate.
IMG_20161226_162709_640[1].jpg

I tried a version of gggGary's cheap and e z leak down tester. I don't seem to be able to hold it tight enough the only air I can hear is coming from from around the blower and plug hole.
IMG_20161226_194419_405[1].jpg

I built a DIY leak down tester but there is a design flaw. Guess's as to what the flaw is?
IMG_20161226_195248_210[1].jpg

IMG_20161226_231405_715[1].jpg

Looked it over pretty good WER ,not sure what the "fly in the ointment" is.
I use the pressure regulator on the air compressor, back it off to zero pressure then slowly screw it in.

You are using/blowing through .5 qts. in <100 miles.
It isn't a leak that shows as puddles/drips on the ground.
There is no smoke or smell.
There is no obvious oil on motor or frame.
Sitting and revving creates no blow by puddle/drops.
Where is it going?

I was just reading through the manual and there is a tube that goes from the head gasket to the rear tire (the rear tire is inflated by oil - when the tire spins it helps to cool the engine down by circulating the oil - and shares the same oil as the engine crankcase) and it could be your rear tire oil is leaking... Have fun!

Last edited:
Seriously, I feel sorry for you.
Cant keep away, huh? Gonna delete your account, huh?

Oh you were watching me! Thats adorable!

No need to feel sorry for me at all. Im great and coming back to XS is no bad indicator of anything. The holidays were such a good time I decided not to let anyone or anything get the best of me. Leaving for France for NYE in two days. Life is good!

BTW the oil thing is a joke in the style that many here have used to joke. Anyone with even minimal bike knowledge would immediately be able to identify my reply as jest, humor and sarcasm.

Back