Your thoughts on the value of a "like new" 1980SG?

Jerm

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Bike has 15,000 on the odometer and it does look like new. 2nd owner w/ original manuals, keychain, bill of sale etc.

Brother, there are a lot of variables to be considered before anyone could come close to answering that question. The location alone can make for a huge variance in value. Have you heard it run? Ridden it? The info you've provided doesn't really mean much. What if the second owner holed a piston and had to park it after riding it for 100 miles and only has that stuff because the original owner had it for 14,900 of those miles and took care of it?

Its value is what it means to you. If you appreciate these bikes and lust for a unmolested truly original and wish to keep it as a tribute to a bygone era and collector piece - then I would say its worth around $3k. I bought a very original '83 Heritage (not pristine) needed only basic maintenance, spit and polish, tires. Paid $500.00 and $500.00 shipping. I put another $2k in my personal mods and probably would have a hard time getting $1,500.00 for it. So $3,000.00 is a high end number, but ask all those on this board what there total investment is in these bikes is and you and they will be surprised how far from market value we've gone.

It's a passion and when passion takes hold logic, well there is no logic. :bike:

Good running, with all basic maintenance done, good tires BRAKES rebuilt. $1,000 more or less. I bought a neglected 1980 special II this year for $350.00 Got r running did the maintenance, It still needed tires. 5600 miles on it, mild rust. sold it for $900.00. I have a very good 83 heritage with 10,000 miles. I have not gotten any bites on it at $1,500 In Sillyfornia it would probably bring $2,000

I live in new england and around here a original xs650 in like new condition can be had off craigslist for 1,000-1,500 there are always dreamers out there asking 2,000+ which i think is to much for a bike that old.
I think the most important question is are you going to keep it original and ride it? or are you going to chop it at all? mod the looks of the bike in anyway? if yes then im sure you can find a much cheaper xs650 that runs that you can clean up.
I just bought my more recent xs for $50 missing seat half of the pipe and lights but it started and ran which is only i really need since im talking almost everything off of the bike anyway.
My last xs was a 82 heritage special %100 original and complete but sat outside for a couple of years I paid $300 with some clean up it could have looked like new too
the bike even came with the original locking chain that used the same key as the ignition

Back