My First XS, A Tracker Project

Monty

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I picked up a 79 Special about a year ago and it has been a little slow going, especially during the first 6 months. I am a 23 year old in the Army, so money and time are not things I have a lot of. When I first got it I was still in the barracks, so I pulled the motor in the parking lot, and drug it up 3 flights of stairs to my room to start the rebuild. I was able to get a house after about 2 months so it started getting better from there, I had a very small amount of tools, so I have been picking those up along the way.

The first picture, I wish I would have taken an earlier shot, for a better before/after comparison.
SAM_0070.jpg

I found this tank on ebay, and it is in showroom condition except for a couple small chips on the underside of the rear mount. I wasn't planning on having a yellow bike, but the tank is too nice to repaint.
SAM_0057g.jpg

Spoke wheels.
SAM_0073.jpg

A setback I went through, I just got the bottom end buttoned up when this happened. I was quite pissed, although I'm glad I decided not to paint the cases on second go around.
SAM_0087.jpg

The motor, with the replacement cases. I've done a bit more since this picture, but not much. Polished and installed the tappet covers and a couple other small things. The head was done by Hoos Racing, they did an awesome job and were good to work with.
SAM_0100.jpg

SAM_0091.jpg

I took these tonight after I spent a few hours cutting some of the excess brackets off until I broke my cutting wheel. Its a quick mockup so I can figure out my seat. The forks are lowered 1 inch, and they will be shaved and polished. I thing shocks are the next thing on the buy list, somewhere around 13.5" - 14".
SAM_0122.jpg

SAM_0120.jpg

SAM_0127.jpg

SAM_0126.jpg

Anyways, its been fun, and aggravating at times, and I can't wait to get into the fun stuff. Cleaning up the old parts isn't nearly as much fun as assembly and fabrication. Cleaning up that frame is a headache. I should be able to work on it more regularly now, so hopefully it won't be too long between updates.

Looking good... Where are you stationed at?
I'll be at Ft. Campbell until I get out of the Army around Christmas. I am going to try to get it mostly done by then, I don't want to have it in a bunch of pieces when I have to move.

I'm interested in how you fit the tank to the frame and around the motor.

The tank is a bit shorter than stock so I am going to have to weld a bung up a little further for the rear mount. The front "U" shaped mounts are slightly too wide, so I am going to grind them down just a bit. It fits how it is, but a little clearance is needed so only the rubber pieces touch the frame. I am going to have make new mounts for the coils as the narrower tunnel of the tank wont clear them. Not quite sure where I am going to put them yet...

Hopefully the upper engine mount isn't a problem as I haven't checked that out yet.

It's been a while, but I've been out of town for the majority of the past couple months. I got a little work done today, slowly but surely it's coming along. After cleaning up the frame a bit more, I got the seat base/tail section tacked in place, and finished the spacers for the front wheel. I want to finish welding the seat tomorrow and start working on the rear caliper mount. On the right side of the wheel I didn't have a piece of spacer stock long enough for one piece, so I had to do two pieces. Still looks good to me though. Hagon shocks should be here this week, and then I'll have a rolling chassis!

Attachments

• SAM_0195.jpg
    SAM_0195.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 364
  • SAM_0197.jpg
    SAM_0197.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 330
  • SAM_0217.jpg
    SAM_0217.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 318
  • SAM_0200.jpg
    SAM_0200.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 285
Great looking bike. I like the way you're making the seat by using the original rear hoop. So simple.
What size are these wheels you're using? Are they 17" Super Motos and how wide?
I thought of getting some like it, as there are plenty around and as they are mostly finished anodized, it safes on getting them powdercoated and respoked.

Frank

The front is 19x2.15 and the rear is a 18x2.50, and they are built for an early to mid 90's Kawasaki motocross bike, they share the same axle sizes with an XS. If I remember right without checking, the tire is a 110 up front and 130 in the rear. It also worked out because I had a KX500 rear caliper and rotor laying around from when I used to have one, so it will be really easy to use the KX500 rear brake since it will match right up with the wheel without any modification.

Great looking bike. I like the way you're making the seat by using the original rear hoop. So simple.

Frank

I think it turned out pretty good, although I am going to get the frame powder coated black, so the seat is going to end up being black as well. I'm thinking of roughing up the powder coat on it and then painting it to match the tank. I was a bit limited in my options in making the seat, as I don't have a brake, roller, shear or any other sheetmetal tools besides some aviation snips. I had to figure out how to make it with just some snips and an angle grinder with a cutting wheel, and bending the pieces over my leg. I am pretty happy with the result. I miss being able to use all the tools in my fathers shop back home, but I make it work.

I'm thinking of roughing up the powder coat on it and then painting it to match the tank.

Yes definetly paint the hump yellow. Since the tank is so cool and with original graffics, try and copy the design. It'll look ace.
Check out this build thread from xs650 chopper.
http://www.xs650chopper.com/2010/03/xs650-cafe-the-beast-mk2-from-the-limey/
It's not a tracker but the colours and wheels are similar to your ideas.

Just in case you've got some cash left over check out the rear swingarm he used on the bike....
http://www.motolanna.com/ourshop/prod_448876-Swingarm-Aluminum-Alloy.html

Frank

Back