My First XS, A Tracker Project

Well, I have made a decent amount of progress. I put on a set of Emgo clip ons, so I guess it's not really a tracker anymore. Maybe a mix of a tracker and a cafe racer.

P1010005.jpg

The rear wheel spacers are finished along with the caliper mounting. I might end up making new spacers to offset the wheel by 1-2mm though. I have not found a way to accurately measure the sprocket alignment, especially since I don't have the chain or sprockets yet, but by my crude measurements, it seems that the sprockets will line up perfectly if I offset the rear wheel just a mm or maybe 2 to the left. I figure that would be much easier and cheaper than having a new sprocket carrier machined. I don't think the small offset would be enough to negatively affect the handling.

P1010006.jpg

The gas tank mounts have been finalized. I barely have enough room for a small 90 degree petcock or fitting with a shut-off valve mounted somewhere else.

SAM_0240.jpg

I also made my seat, using some 3/16" polyethylene sheeting and rebond foam.

First, I cut out the base and used a heat gun to form the upward curve. From there I was able to make the triangular section up front with more sheeting and aluminum angle stock, drill clearance holes for the bolts that hold the electronic stuff on the under side of the seat, and mount t-nuts held in place with #4 sheet metal screws to secure it to the frame. 2 Layers of 1" rebound were glued on the pan with a 1/4" layer of open cell foam on top. I actually did the majority of the cutting with blades for a scalpel-like knife from a sporting goods store. I used them without the knife body, for more control, but I got a couple nicks, those blades are crazy sharp. A bit of smoothing was done with a rasp and sanding blocks. Glue the top layer of foam and stretch it over the edge, trim the excess, and it was done! I wish it was a bit thinner, but 2 inches was the minimum I could do while still being able to cover the rear tank mount.

P1010012.jpg

P1010013.jpg

P1010014.jpg

P1010016.jpg

P1010019.jpg

All the electronic stuff is under the seat, Hugh's pma stuff, and two Sparks capacitors.

P1010023.jpg

VM34's from mikes, I went for the generic jetted ones at $150 a piece instead of $190 for 650 specific jetting. I figure I can buy plenty of jets and such for less than 80 bucks. I'm no carb expert, but I've done plenty of tuning on Keihn FCR's for motocross bikes. Modern 4-stroke MX bikes can be pretty damn sensitive to jetting so I think I should be able to figure it out.

P1010004.jpg

Over all, it's starting to look like a motorcycle:bike:

P1010018.jpg

Yeah it does look too big. The picture angle is definitely exaggerating it, but like I said, I still wish it the seat was thinner. I may try to do some more work on it, I have plenty of foam...

I went out to the garage real quick and put in the mounting bolts which sucked the seat down a bit, and snapped a shot from the side. It still is a bit big I think, but not weird looking like the previous picture.

P1010027.jpg

Are you using MX hubs with custom spacers to get your rear offset correct?
Yeah, an early 90's KX500 has the same axle diameters front and rear as the xs.

It's been a while, I've made some progress, but its been slow.

I've finished up all my work on the frame, dropping it off for powdercoat this week along with a few other things.

The finalized exhaust, I rerouted it a bit so it runs under the engine close to frame rails. Now I'm trying to find a place for ceramic coating that has good prices. I used some Evaporust to remove all the surface rust. That stuff is awesome, completely removed all the rust after soaking overnight.

P1010063.jpg

P1010093.jpg

Kickstand built from a breaker bar head and 1/2" extention.
P1010078.jpg

Foot controls and the rough location of the rear master cylinder.
P1010076.jpg

P1010080.jpg

I've looked at MX hubs in yhe past too. It seems the problem is finding a bolt pattern small enough to allow a small sprocket. Most MX bikes don't go below 38 teeth. Will you have this problem?

38 is also the smallest I have found. I plan on using a 18T front, I have the higher 5th gear from mikes, and the slightly larger rear tire should help a little bit. I am going to try it out like that, but I think it will still be too low, even though I plan on staying off the highway as much as possible. I will most likely end up spending the extra money to get a custom one made.

Woah, it's been awhile. I have since moved to Colorado, but progress is there, even if slow...

The most recent shot:
P1010601_zps99732982.jpg

The frame has been powdercoated, front and rear brakes have been rebuilt/mounted, the forks finished, I covered the seat, built a new top motor mount, and few other things. Hopefully I'll be riding it this summer...

P1010660_zps668e610e.jpg

P1010603_zps5403d173.jpg

P1010594_zps0b308845.jpg

P1010587_zpsd7a8b371.jpg

P1010588_zpscfea34cc.jpg

P1010526_zpsdb163c66.jpg

Got the front brake line installed and I figured out a new way to bleed the brake, well maybe not new but I have not heard of it before. I was looking around and I couldn't find a syringe or anything to pump the fluid in. So I grabbed some clear line and put it on the little fitting on the caliper, ran it above the master, and filled it with fluid. With the help of my old man, he would open up the fitting, and I put an air hose at the end of the line. Making sure there were no bubbles, I pushed the fluid through the system until it filled the master cylinder and reservoir. Took less than 10 minutes.

Anyways, I got some new clip-ons, a hydraulic clutch, headlight (which is still in the box...), and some other do-dads.

After the 3rd company and almost 3 months, I finally got my tiny Kawaski KX rear sprocket, 37 teeth. Rear wheel is now done.

Clutch, cover, and kickstart installed.

Ugly chain guard getting hacked off. Just don't wear loose jeans.

Back