Big TX500 project, any help appreciated!

Nice. Save it! The early TX500 was prone to a cracked cylinder head. The last models have a single piece head that fixed it if I’m not mistaken. @desmoman900 knows the details. Maybe he’ll see this. Upgrade time is now.
In one of these threads has a ho-made tool for pushing the stuck cylinder. That’s what you need.

Do those have a 180

The bike came with a missing cylinder head. I soaked cylinders this morning and they are now turning 1/4 turn. Will soak some more. Also need to purchase a head on fleebay and there is a chain just hanging on the right side next to the right cylinder. Will have to figure out how that hooks up.

Perhaps Wait with the parts buying the boys says there is a risk the bottom end is ruined.
Getting an overall status first ...Summing up the grand total ..
Heads 200 - 400 $ pistons ? 200 -400 ? rebore rings ? 200 --400 ?
If the bottom needs work ? 200 -400

Also need to purchase a head on fleebay and there is a chain just hanging on the right side next to the right cylinder. Will have to figure out how that hooks up.
Buy a ‘76 or later head. I’m pretty sure that’s the cam chain. I believe it has a chain driven counterbalancer as well.

I’ve always found that bike appealing.

Yes, the last one I picked up cost me a whopping $25, lol .....

XS500-2.jpg

After stripping it, I loaded it in my van and carted it off to my dealer's boneyard (to join the other 2 I put there, lol) .....

Van-Bike6.jpg

I think it was a '77 model, and the motor is pretty much all there. If you need something major like the head and cam, I might be able to get it off it for a song. About the only thing I pulled from the motor was assorted nuts and bolts, and the clutch worm.

Yea I think I paid $125. Once I decided it was just parts I used many parts on my 650’s. The Cush rear wheel I just went through for my Bobber came off there. Marty is correct one of the chains does drive that counter balancer. The left side case where the cam chain is IIRC was prone to gasket leaks because of the torque on one side. IMG_1398.jpegIMG_1399.jpeg

Lesson learned! I did not realize that more than the cylinder head was missing. I guess there a main body that fits over the cylinders then rockers then the cover.
I’m very familiar with old Goldwings but not this bike. I wanted a winter project but since all these parts are missing, this might be too much. It seems like all bikes these days have some weak point but again… since I’m missing I guess the top end and such I’m not sure what to do.
Thoughts?

Another :twocents: Sell it, find better.
Even taking a total loss will be your best path forward.
Beware buying orphans. File this as a life lesson and move on.
The XS650 is so popular not because it's bullet proof or invincible, but because it's well supported, nearly any part needed can be easily found and usually for beer money.
There's an art to reading the truth hidden in ads and descriptions. Seldom is a bike that doesn't turn over with compression worth the effort for more than parts.

If you got it for cheap and the seat and tank are in good shape those go easily on EBay. The only thing about selling parts is some of them tend to “linger” lol

I don’t want to give up just yet! I’ve brought many bikes back from the grave! But……. I don’t want to start buying all these parts that were missing to begin with, only for the bike not to run.
Cosmetically, I can make it look factory new but the engine is a major issue.

I don’t want to give up just yet! I’ve brought many bikes back from the grave! But……. I don’t want to start buying all these parts that were missing to begin with, only for the bike not to run.
Cosmetically, I can make it look factory new but the engine is a major issue.
Just make it look new, set it in a barn for a year and sell it as "complte, hasn't run in 10 years" :) :) :)

Well… I guess I will just clean it up a bit and sell. I have 2 parts bikes ( 84 Goldwings ) that I can build one bike from with my eyes closed. I really want an early 70’s yamaha build for the winter … but I guess I should have done better research on the bike.
I don’t have the time to sell parts from it , therefore will just sell outright will price slightly higher to justify my gas I spent to get it. I will definitely research more in-depth next purchase.

Do not be disheartened. There are lots of XS650 projects you could fund and enjoy. My winter project last year was a fun, inexpensive project you can find searching "Time to start a winter project, Red Bike" in the search function. Enjoy.

Time nowadays seems so valuable. I spent time that I didn’t have to get this bike. It could be a beautiful bike but the damn engine!!!!!!!!!!!
Son of a £€€%#>%^£!€£’!?!!&!!?!!!!£>€!^€%%%*££*

Time nowadays seems so valuable. I spent time that I didn’t have to get this bike. It could be a beautiful bike but the damn engine!!!!!!!!!!!
Son of a £€€%#>%^£!€£’!?!!&!!?!!!!£>€!^€%%%*££*

Don't get to disheartened. If the condition of the rest of the bike isn't to bad then parting it out is an option. some parts will go on an XS650. There are others out there who would like hard to find parts, who like yourself may have an incomplete one.

Example is the gas cap. If the chrome is good and you have the key they are as rare as rocking horse hit these days. They fit on 73/74/75TX/XS 650 tanks and there are no aftermarket replacements, A complete good cap with key would be worth $150.00 or more on FleeceBay or open market.

Just for interest sake a guy in Aus restored on and posted on here.
https://www.xs650.com/threads/aus-tx500-resto.33248/

Look at it as a cup half full. Maybe not what you wanted but at least you can get some money back judging by the condition of the bike in the pics

Back