How-To: Permanent Magnet Alternator Swap (Also known as the Banshee Swap)

I've got a CN250 (Honda Helix) stator on the way. Price was very right to at least see if it will work.

A current eBay auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stat...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item415968f1c1

Seems to have the five bolt pattern, three wire. I'm willing to relist it, if it's not going to work. Tons of Honda copies get pumped out by the Chinese crappy atv's and motorcycles.

Here's to hoping.

I've got a CN250 (Honda Helix) stator on the way. Price was very right to at least see if it will work.

A current eBay auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stat...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item415968f1c1

Seems to have the five bolt pattern, three wire. I'm willing to relist it, if it's not going to work. Tons of Honda copies get pumped out by the Chinese crappy atv's and motorcycles.

Here's to hoping.

Good deal, but, are your sure that this stator had the correct measurements?
103mm X 42mm X 20mm

Good deal, but, are your sure that this stator had the correct measurements?
103mm X 42mm X 20mm

We'll see if it's 20mm or 30mm. For $12 with shipping, I'll take a chance. I don't let things I don't know...keep me from doing the things I want to do. I can just buy a new one for ~$130 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HOND...089809QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories), but I like to do research so I don't mind.

If it won't work, I'll relist it on eBay. I should know in a week.

what about the old wiring and the rectifier?

Eliminated along with the regulator, you need a reg/rec from a bike that came with a PMA. They functionally VERY different. only 3 wires from the stator are used, and the wiring from the reg/rec go to the the battery/frame.

I think I'll replace my capacitor with the tiny battery everyone seems to be using, I want bright turn signals and a strong horn at idle. Is there anything to do other than just swapping them out?

-j

We'll see if it's 20mm or 30mm. For $12 with shipping, I'll take a chance. I don't let things I don't know...keep me from doing the things I want to do. I can just buy a new one for ~$130 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HOND...089809QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories), but I like to do research so I don't mind.

If it won't work, I'll relist it on eBay. I should know in a week.

The thickest I've seen is 20mm. The thickness is measured at the core, not the windings.

I think you need the thinner 16mm stator if you are using one of Punkskalar's adapter rings. In my first PMA setup I was using a 20mm stator and stock Banshee stator plate and there was no room behind the plate for an adapter.

I've been running the 20MM stators on my kits without issues... BTW, I got tricks to get the wider stators to work too :thumbsup:

Something like milling down the stator mounting face, on the timing plate? I doubt removing those three tits of material will totally bone an installation.

Looks like a guy can remove 4-5mm from the timing plate mount as well.

Something like milling down the stator mounting face, on the timing plate? I doubt removing those three tits of material will totally bone an installation.

Looks like a guy can remove 4-5mm from the timing plate mount as well.

The only trick is to keep it perfectly true to the stator mounting face so the stator remains concentric to the rotor.

The thickest I've seen is 20mm. The thickness is measured at the core, not the windings.

I think you need the thinner 16mm stator if you are using one of Punkskalar's adapter rings. In my first PMA setup I was using a 20mm stator and stock Banshee stator plate and there was no room behind the plate for an adapter.

The CN250 stator is 0.670" / 17.01mm when measured from mounting face to the surface the screw tightens against. The stator is 18 pole, delta wound (3 wires exit really close to each other, I could be incorrect about the wye vs. Delta)

I'll be modeling the entire setup in Solidworks, to do As-built documentation. Simply because it's something I'm great at, and it could help anyone else who may have questions. Plus I just want to play with the latest version of Solidworks and the various rendering tools.

I'll buy a xs650 rotor puller, when I find a banshee flywheel. I'm at $44.99 (with shipping) right now for stator and timing plate . I'm shooting for $150 for an as-installed project price. I will use Hugh's adapter.

I think I'll replace my capacitor with the tiny battery everyone seems to be using, I want bright turn signals and a strong horn at idle. Is there anything to do other than just swapping them out?

-j

If you want brightest lights and better horn you will install a real motorbike battery...

Back