How-To: Permanent Magnet Alternator Swap (Also known as the Banshee Swap)

This is a great article. Well done, very professional. My question is where on Ebay did you find the stator and rotor for those prices? Everything I look at is outrageous and far out of the budget. Any thoughts or suggestions on finding a Banshee stator and rotor that I don't have to take out a second mortgage to finance?

I find all in ebay in this prices;

STATOR GENERATOR $58.49 shipped
XS650 Permanent Magnet Alternator Conversion $31.50 shipped
Yamaha YFZ350 Banshee Ricky Stator Adj Timing Plate $35.00 shipped

I just need the rotor, I am waiting to try to find it cheap, in ebay cost 90$ to 125$ new

Will this work with the solid state regulator/rectifier that I just bought? Also I am running a battery and electric start. (I plan on keeping the bike until I am old enough to not be able to kick even this bike).

That depends on the on the reg/rect it should work if it is a solid state. The battery and estart won't affect anything. However, if you're just going to buy Hugh's kit. There really wasn't a need for you to buy a reg/rect

Thanks Woody. I picked up a VF500 stator back whenever I did it because I knew it was tried and true.

I've had 2 VF500 Stators show up that were just a hair too wide. Some have been 20MM and some have been 30MM. I have found with my kits anything up to 26mm seems to work just fine. Doesn't seem that they were consistent through the years of manufacturing or whoever was supplying them.

IF you get a stator that is too wide, PM me and we can make it work :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I should ear to Punkskalar and buy all the kit from him, I buy in ebay a stator for Kawasaki ZX600, ZX-6 Ninja and dosent fit, is too big, maybe this stator is for ZX6-R

Is anybody had any stator used or new please help me to finish my project... I can make a trade for ALL my old system or paid the price for it...

I just find this;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250750711057

But I want to be sure before buy it, I ask the seller about the measurents of the stator...

The VF500 stator is thickest, 20mm measured at the core, not at the windings. The Ninja stator is the thinnest at 16mm. Some where I have a list of all the compatible stators with their thicknesses. Darned if I can find it now. If I remember right, the Ninja is the thinnest and all others are thicker (the Quadrunner may have been the same as the Ninja). The VS800 stator I tested had the exact same dimensions as all the VF500 stators I've checked.

When I was running a banshee bracket (glued straight to the motor) and VF500 stator, the spacing was spot on with no room for an adapter plate. Had I known at the time that the Ninja stators were thinner, I probably would have just made an adapter plate and run the thinner stator rather than cast up a bracket to accommodate the thicker ones.

Last edited:
Looks like I'm in luck I have an extra stator and several regulators from my 95 ninja. It measures 23mm at the widest that should work right?

Back