How-To: Permanent Magnet Alternator Swap (Also known as the Banshee Swap)

Hey everyone,
The PMA is a MUST for me. I finally got the grip together for the rest of the parts. Ive got the plate and reg from Hugh and now on to the stator, stator plate and flywheel. I know everyone is recommending this stator http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yama...Accessories&hash=item3a61e83511#ht_4425wt_948 , theres a ton of extra wires comeing out of this thing. What are yall doing with em? Any pictures of this particular stator on your set up? Also will this stator fit on the banchee plate and fit inside flywheel?
Thanks guys

The only wires you need are the 3 coming from the stator. Looks like that set up comes with a pick up for ignition you don't need that so there goes the extra wires

for my pma : on the inside my flywheel there is a thin layer of sheetmetal can i take that out?
on 1 point its slightly touching the stator.
or does it take any affects on the magnetic field ?

here is one but cant see the scratches

Attachments

• IMAG0065.jpg
    IMAG0065.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 330
Just installed can't wait to get the bike going now!

Last edited:
So if I were to do this install and use a smaller battery, like the .8amp 12v battery that a lot of people are using, would I be able to run an electric start still or would it be kick only? I also want to install a pamco ignition, if that will make a difference on that subject?

So if I were to do this install and use a smaller battery, like the .8amp 12v battery that a lot of people are using, would I be able to run an electric start still or would it be kick only? I also want to install a pamco ignition, if that will make a difference on that subject?

Only kick start with small battery or capasitor, no difference with pamco

Been selling a TON of these kits :thumbsup:

Lots of folks are reporting good things using the Ninja Stators, and the small cigarettte sized battery packs have been hit or miss. Come Capacitors have also been a miss, but lots of people are using an Accel Cap and getting great results.

I just followed 2 bikes for a few hundred miles that were PMA equipped with Capacitors, and they ran great....

If you have had a bad capacitor, which one did you use? Trying to keep this updated... :thumbsup:

Whether a cap works or not is mostly dependent on your ignition system. If you are running points you will need a much larger capacitor than if you were running an HEI. Even then it is iffy.

The current draw of the ignition system is not constant. When the coil is charging it will pull 4 to 5 amps. That is as much as a high beam headlight. The amount of time that the coil is charging is the dwell. At low engine speeds, the stator will not put out enough power to meet the peak demand of the ignition and the voltage will sag.

The purpose of the capacitor is to charge up when the ignition is not charging. This stored energy is then used to assist the stator when peak demand increases. The cap will quickly drain and voltage will still sag but not as bad as it would if the cap was not present.

The problem with the points system is the high dwell at low speeds. The dwell is 90° and the engine fires every 180° (we're talking breaker cam degrees). So the duty cycle is 50%. At 1200rpm the points system is drawing over 1,000 milliJoules so you need a big cap, like 20,000uf. Of course a bigger cap is going to take more time to charge. Since the dwell of a points system is so long, that may not leave enough time between coil charges to charge the cap. Re-phasing only makes this worse since you are cutting the cap charge time for the right cylinder in half.

The HEI is better suited to running without a battery. Dwell at 1200rpm is around 8% and it draws less than 200 milliJoules. That means that it will run with a smaller cap, like 1,000uf. Plus there is more than enough time to charge a larger cap, even when re-phased.

Can people tell me what spec Cap they are using, I have a n.o.s. XR400r cap I'm considering trying, 100v 2200uF(M) on a rephased & pamco'ed kick only engine.

Cheers.

i am also currently faced with the question of which way to go: Capacitor, Battery, Tiny Battery, etc. I would prefer the Cap route. Has anyone had any experience or heard good things about THESE?

100_0532-301x226.jpg

That looks pretty sweet to me, maybe I'll have to give it a try when I do the PMA swap on my bike :) Decent price too

Back