It's fall and time for.........Chainsaws, Ye Haw!

With the new van too nice for the woods, I had to go back to buying beater Dakota wood haulers. Just got this one patched up to run.
First truckload this year
View attachment 128154
9 more loads to go.

#9, last load.

View attachment 128988

The rusty old Dakota, frame didn't break, whew. Was very slow and careful loaded.
4" of rain expected over the next couple days. When it gets muddy this time of year it won't dry out. Wood lot is steep hills.
Now I can get back to the "Milwaukee iron" wake up.

Now that's stacking.............first load it looked like you were on a promise and couldn't wait to get home

Wasn't sure where to put this, so I'll stick it in gggGary's chainsaw thread.

The flop tube (fuel inlet hose) on one of my Poulan chainsaws went bad. Swollen, hard, cracked, ...etc.
PoulanFlopTube01.jpg

This fuel line goes thru a rubber sealed opening in the fuel tank, and you're supposed to just push a new fuel line thru there. I'd rather push a wet rope uphill.

There's some tricks out there, involving carburetor removal, major disassembly, slicing the line, pulling it thru with fishing line, pulling it thru with a loop of electrical wire, ...etc. It's a bit tricky on this particular fuel tank, since the pass-thru hole is inaccessible from inside the tank. So, here's another method.

New Tygon fuel line, and a 2-3" piece of heat-shrink tubing.
PoulanFlopTube02.jpg PoulanFlopTube03.jpg

Shove at least 3/8" of the fuel line into the heat-shrink (more than I'm showing here), and shrink it down.
PoulanFlopTube04.jpg

Last edited:
Ye Haw my sufferin @$$! It's 80*-plus down here in So IL and I've been hacking out Russian olive and suchlike trash so an excavator can get to a nasty erosion cut in the back face of the levee on my pond where the spillway rerouted itself in the downpours we got in late winter and early spring. Oh, the joys of country living....

Hear you oh master rally planner grizzly bear. Arena re-fencing project today. Chainsaw relevance; will have to cut some posts to length with the saw. We were out on state land last week cutting some winter falls off roads used as horse trails. One 2' plus Oak was across the road at neck height, at one point I had both saws stuck in it. LOL.

Last edited:
We get dry out here, too. Mid to late Summer. And everything looks like a tinderbox. Folks out here are always alert to brush fires, and the county fire dept is rather aggressive when dealing with fires.

Today was about as perfect as you could get. Got rain last night, everything was wet this morning. Used diesel fuel to start it. Cool, almost calm winds, overcast. It burned rather slowly, finished down to a coal pile, and right now it's raining. Perfect timing...

Got a smaller pile of willow from a big fallen branch to burn here. We couldn't get a brush fire going with a gas tanker. everything is solid wet.

The chainsaws have been busy.
No XS650s were harmed in the burning of this brushpile...
View attachment 141741
View attachment 141742

Hi 2Many,
try that around here and you'd get visited by the fire brigade to hose down the flames and the cops to arrest you.
And you'd be grateful that you didn't get water-bombed.
Saskatoon skies were gray/brown yesterday from the Alberta brush fires with the sun showing through as a bright red disc.
Skies are more normal today, scattered low clouds and sunshine. Most likely the wind changed.

Good to know, Fred.
Guess I'll just stay down here then...

Hi 2Many,
you are most welcome to visit any time, just be aware of the fire ban regulations.
Guys I know said they were camping during a fire ban but lit a (small, safe, on bare rock) fire anyway.
Said that getting water-bombed was no fun at all as besides putting the fire out
the water knocked them off their feet and flattened their entire campsite.

Back