1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Large Spine Frame XS650 / Egli / Rau / Cafe Racer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rehar, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Most clutch parts received:
    899 Ducati clutch master cylinder, Aprilia slave cylinder, Misc Ducati braided steel line from the garage, 8mm Stainless Rod (Mcmaster).
    IMG_0052.JPG IMG_0054.JPG IMG_0055.JPG IMG_0058.JPG

All mounted up, held for clutch reservoir. 8mm shaft length, I measured 296.34mm. And after rounding one end, 296.34mm.
    Only one problem... The Slave cylinder and the Aprilia mate that stops the piston (part of the original Aprilia set up...) When assembled, there is only about .5mm / .020" inch for piston travel. I don't get it. How does this thing work?

Rear set shift linkage for the R6 seems to work great, except - it's GP/Reverse shift pattern. Good enough for now.
    IMG_0044.JPG
    Time for some outside photos:
    IMG_0066.JPG IMG_0067.JPG IMG_0068.JPG IMG_0070.JPG IMG_0071.JPG IMG_0072.JPG

The reservoir came after these pics were taken. So I eagerly bled the system, get a good firm clutch, and nothing moves.
    I don't get it. The Aprilia slave and the "retaining cup" - only give .5mm travel (.020"). What?!!

gggGary, MrBultaco, Jim and 4 others like this.
  2. Ok, I made a mistake, checked the piston travel this morning, my initial start point for piston travel was off. The piston can compress in to the slave cylinder another 9-10mm... Time to make a new rod...

Superjet and Jim like this.
  3. Good news. All fixed. 306mm length Rod in place, system fully bled. Great feel, of course, I haven't started the engine yet (on this project!)...

Jim, JRay77 and TwoManyXS1Bs like this.
  4. Frame is out for powder coat...
    IMG_0300.JPG IMG_0301[4911].JPG

gggGary and Jim like this.
  5. Slow going through the holidays. Managed to get the bike/frame re-assembled and snagged a couple of pics.
    Added some convenient switches for the Motogadget configuration/settings.
    1 Reassembled Wiring Harness.JPG
    Do NOT use clear PVC tubing with Hydraulic fluid...
    2 Clutch Hydraulic Reservoir Hose.JPG
    A little bit more work to do...
    3 Reassembled after frame painting 1.JPG 4 Reassembled after frame painting 2.JPG

6. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

That is just such a cool looking bike. Really creative. I think you ought to keep the crossed out Triumph logo on the gas tank too! Haha! :laugh2:

gggGary, Superjet and Jim like this.
  7. :D Thanks, great idea!

gggGary likes this.
  8. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Yes very cool build can't wait for a ride report!

9. Meddy

Meddy XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter

Yes, a real work of art there Rehar, I'm watching this thread with interest.

10. joebgd

joebgd XS650 Addict

NY
    3 or 9 is my vote on the paint. I like the way the red and blue pop. The copper looking orange I feel is a more contemporary look.

11. Time to send the tank and fender off for paint. But, before that I really should check it one more time to see if it leaks or not.
    So - after making some temporary fuel lines to check routing, etc, fuel in tank... (No Leaks!) I was just too close to not try and start the engine.
    Exhaust (Slip-on) strapped on with Bungy cords and after a few cranks - the engine started up without drama. It sounded so sweet with that Lossa 18" pipe on it. Rode it around the block, 1st, second gear. No problems. So far - I'm very pleased.

(Some pics, less the bungy.)
    01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg
    I will need to place some springs and other mounting tabs yet.

The little Tabs for the springs - best price I could find was $2.95 each. I need ~10, $29.50.
    McMaster, I ordered 3 feet of 0.125" 304 SS Rod, $6.42.
    Tabs are done.
    04.jpg 05.jpg 06.jpg 07.jpg 08.jpg 09.jpg

Next week - tank goes off to the painter.

Mailman, TwoManyXS1Bs, GLJ and 2 others like this.
  12. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

WOW, cool work. It's coming together very well!

Jim likes this.
  13. Ford Mustang Magnetic J7 (Dark Grey).
    Here are some pics while applying the graphics today.
    A little laser...
    1 a little laser IMG_0779.JPG
    A little tape... The tape worked really good. Laser helped to identify the starting point.
    2 a little tape IMG_0785.JPG
    A little squeegee
    3 a little water and squeegee IMG_0788.JPG
    and graphics are laid.
    4 Next step - clear coat IMG_0804.JPG
    This took 2hrs. Good thing I had extra graphics with me. Scrapped one set of stripes in the process.
    (I'm working with a very talented painter with steady hands.) :thumbsup:

Next is the clearcoat.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Stardust83, Meddy, Mailman and 4 others like this.
  14. MrBultaco

MrBultaco it ran before parked Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Colorado
    Great color choice. I saw this on a Mustang and said I would paint my next M/C that color.:thumbsup:
    It looks like it won't be long before....noise:)

Mailman and Jim like this.
  15. Jim

Jim "No...Try not. Do ... or do not. There is no try." Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

16. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Wow! That came out beautifully!

17. Thanks! With some luck, get those painted parts back on the bike this weekend, along with "final" fuel lines/configuration. Maybe another week or two for the exhaust...

gggGary likes this.
  18. Meddy

Meddy XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter

Coming together really nice Rehar, love the paint job.:thumbsup:

Jim likes this.