Mailmans , 77D getting a makeover

Hey Mailman, just out of curiosity on those brittle fuel filters and lines. Do you have non-ethanol fuel down there in AZ ?
And also Kudos on the non-alcohol in the hand , me too. That Sandy Oregon Whiskey & Coke XS guy was a pretty goofy mechanic
:laughing: RT

Yes, our gas doesn’t contain ethanol here, fortunately.

So this Irishman walks out of a bar.....no really it can happen.

me three

And me an Irishman, go figure! :laugh2:

About quitting drinking, it’s not a huge deal. I liked it, maybe a little too much. But it was never a problem.
I’m just trying to live a healthier lifestyle. It’s all part of a bigger picture, diet , exercise, the whole shebang.

I want to get rid of all those clunky clamps also.
MM,
I friend of mine (the guy who owns the garage, where my bikes are...) was replacing the "plumbing" on his ultra-light, and used safety wire (with those 'twisty' pliers) instead of clamps. They take up zero space, compared to any other kind of clamp, and secure as anything else. That's how I'm going to do "The Basketcase". It might be something for you to look in to... (NA) Cheers,
Tebo

I'm rather fond of these,
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Mikalor-Dou...e-Pipe-Air-Fuel-Band-Tube-Clamp-/222287989370
buy 100 at a time, outlaw racing sells them in the US
s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
My grandfather did that when he heard that there could be a toilet paper shortage. The basement was chock full of hoarded rolls. Grandma was NOT happy...
Moved my uncle out of his house 4 years ago, STILL using up that damned thin TP!

I've reordered (the clamps not the paper) several times, buy a lot of old bikes, they ALWAYS need new fuel lines...........

CARBURETOR DAY :pimp:

Today I jumped into cleaning and assembling my carburetors, they’ve been sitting in a tub on my work bench just waiting for me. But I’ve been up to my ears in house painting, but today is the day!
A2CEA874-3F8D-4F4A-B5A2-CD6CED8782B3.jpeg

I removed all the jets and broke the carbs down MOST OF THE WAY, I did not want to disturb the throttle shaft seals and the butterfly plates, so I left that stuff in place.
All the small parts went into the hot tank ultrasonic cleaner, the carb body , I simply hosed off with carburetor spray cleaner and all the jets and passageways in the bowl and body were sprayed with carb cleaner and compressed air. I didn’t go crazy on these carbs, I didn’t polish anything, I just wanted clean and functional.
A97D59AB-E99B-4775-82C4-6112E3D614B4.jpeg
EA84CDBD-90B6-4C4B-82AC-C6ED417BDFA2.jpeg

All the fuel lines were replaced with Tygon. I really like the hose clamps that Gary showed and I think I’m going to order some, but I didn’t have them today. What I did have was safety wire.....Tebo, I totally stole your idea!
It works great!
73CB6A9F-4870-43B1-B0D1-F71564FDCD93.jpeg
A0DA6F2E-F414-4615-8340-26BDBB6D66C0.jpeg
66B31FF2-D9E7-4187-9952-95E50AE63316.jpeg

So, I’ve got that done, one step closer. Hey a little informal survey here, what kind of spray can carb cleaner do you guys prefer? My choice is Barrymans B-12 Chemtool, today I was using Gunk carburetor spray....not a fan.
Don’t remember where I bought it, but I’m going back to Barrymans.

Later
Bob

I didn’t polish anything,
How did you restrain yourself? :poke:
They do look good though. Clean on the inside is more important than shine on the outside.
what kind of spray can carb cleaner do you guys prefer?
I've been using Gumout. Seems to work OK. Pretty reasonable at Wallyworld.

...what kind of spray can carb cleaner do you guys prefer?

I have several different types, chosen mostly by their active ingredients, and used according to to results. Berryman B12 is there.

Unfortunately, the cleaners no longer have the good stuff,
"methylene chloride" or "dichloromethane".
Most are now various blends of xylene, acetone, toluene, alcohols.

An interesting test, used in gunsmithing, to determine suitable cleaners for bluing. Take a few small pieces of steel, polish a side, spray with the test cleaner. If a thin orange (rust) color appears after a couple of hours, you've got a good one. Trichlor will usually do this.

I've hoarded a few cans of trichlor, since it's difficult to find nowadays...

Last edited:
RE TORQUED THE HEAD

I went through all the head bolts today. Cleaned, lubed and re torqued all the studs and bolts.
I also replaced the outer OEM rubber sealing washers with new brass ones.

2DB653EA-C0BB-4D56-B66B-08A483B44543.jpeg
D3A52FCB-5E27-4244-9A84-D05663895EA1.jpeg

The original washers were not leaking, but I already had the brass ones ready to go, and I don’t think the rubber ones would’ve survived the re torque. The rubber had become hard and where the rubber had squeezed into the threads of the bolts, separated and became stuck in the threads. So I’m happy I replaced them.
317C4391-D71E-4D44-9156-CA57EB2502C1.jpeg

Yeah buddy! :thumbsup: Now if I can just fight off that urge to buy another bike! :D

Indeed...a task at which I failed today.....;).....:whistle:

....and turning to an entirely different topic, while you are doing a mid-life refit on My 60th Birthday Present, have you checked the alternator brushes?

Last edited:
Indeed...a task at which I failed today.....;).....:whistle:

....and turning to an entirely different topic, while you are doing a mod-life refit on My 60th Birthday Present, have you checked the alternator brushes?

I have not, but that would be an excellent idea! :thumbsup:

In school, we had names for girls like you.... :rolleyes:
Don't tease us Pete.... watcha get?

Yeah, c’mon Pete! Share! :geek:

Back