Methods of fitting engine to the frame, please

56nomad

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm reaching the stage where I've got to refit the engine into the painted frame but the problem is I'm a short-arsed, slightly built one-man-band. I lifted the engine out using my gantry with the bike on its wheels which was awkward but then I didn't care about the paintwork then. I know about laying the engine on its side on a blanket/carpet and fitting the basic frame to it but are there other methods you guys have used? The gantry is still available and, if anything needs fabricating/welding I can do that. How did Yamaha do it?

Thanks in advance

I put mine flat on a load of flattened cardboard boxes, then carefully put the frame over it. Eased the engine up to the mounts with some bits of wood I had knocking about. Whipped it all up and dragged it up right. Was pretty easy on my own, tbh.

+1
I used some chepo bean bags - engine on its side, frame over a couple of bolts in then lift up right. Always done on my own and its simple enough
I would imagine Yamaha would have used some form of mechanisation or cradle to pop the engine in.

If you go through the "Home Made Tools" Thread you will find several home grown tools to help remove and install an engine.
I like the one that has a U shape welded to a pipe with a Tee handle on the other. It has a loop on the pipe about a foot or so from the U. The U end bolts to the engine at the front and rear mounts. The loop can be hung from a chain over a rafter or such or just laid across an office chair.
Once the tool is mounted and supported you use the Tee handle to lift and turn the engine as you slide the engine into the frame.
With it hung from a rafter or over the chair lets you move the engine sideways into the frame.
Leo

On a couple of occasions, I have both removed and installed motors with everything flat on the ground. Even for a retired out of shape ex desk jockey, it is easy. It takes gravity out of the equation pretty much and allows one to scratch your own new paint instead. Goes without saying that you can cover the frame with water pipe insulation or rags and tape, etc. Once a few bolts are in, tip it up right and proceed.

As a side note,however you do it, wrap every painted part of the frame with muti layers of newspaper. this will keep you from scratching your newly painted frame.

Thanks guys. To safeguard the paint it looks like it'll have to be the tried and tested method of dropping the frame loop over the engine method. I could even rope in the old lady on that one.

Back