"my carbs won't work"...

peanut

XS650 enthusiast & inveterate tinkerer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Mine are working fine by the way. :D but it has taken me some seriously meticulous fettling and a lot of time and patience to fully appreciate exactly how they function.

How often do you see a thread relating to Carburettors ....cleaning , adjusting, synching, jetting setting up etc
Rising idle , lean mixture, backfiring, popping out the air filters , bogging, surging etc etc

When you see a pair of carbs like these below, currently for sale on ebay its not too difficult to see why some owners have so many problems.
Looking at the huge gap to one side of the left butterfly and the huge dent to the bottom of the other and the mangled fuel bowl nuts its a wonder that these carbs could ever have worked properly if this is anything to go by for the rest of these carbs.
carb2.jpg
carbs.jpg

I'd expect it to get worse. What with "scraping the bottom of the barrel" parts scrounging.

One of my high-school hobbies was watch repair. Another delicate and twiddly art.

BrokenWatch.jpg

These things, and carburetors, don't take kindly to hammers and pry bars...

crikey 2m thats tiny stuff. I struggle to work with anything that small these days thanks to Diabetes.
For someone whose life has been reading its a particularly cruel fate.
Maybe I'll take up the drink :D

crikey 2m thats tiny stuff. I struggle to work with anything that small these days thanks to Diabetes.
For someone whose life has been reading its a particularly cruel fate.
Maybe I'll take up the drink :D

Hi peanut,
if small print is getting hard to read try getting E-books on Kindle or other electronic reading device.
One of Kindle's functions is a control to expand or contract the font size according to a reader's needs.
Best you stay off the drink though, diabetic friends tell me all the forward planning of one's insulin levels
destroys most of the spontaneity of tying one on.

And different screws holding down the diaphragm plate. Holly hell!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 88
To be fair the seller doesn't look to be hiding anything...............the pics allow the buyer to use them as a visual for any defects, and often a seller will post such statement. As in any transaction it is "Buyer beware", there are way worse examples of people trying to sell parts that are just wrong, broken or absolutely useless.

I have had this in my watch list since 2009. If you want it, it is selling at a 35% reduction from $7.99 down to $5.19. Better hurry up because it has 8 hours left before the auction is up.

Here is the sellers description.
"Here is the original right side cover taken from a 1979 Yamaha XS650 Special. As you can see in the picture it does have a crack in it as well as a peice broken out, but amazingly all of the mounting points are still good and it still looks much better then no cover at all. Please buy with confidence and as always THANKS for looking!!"

!BYMGsOQ!2k~$(KGrHgoH-CgEjlLl1Ej9BKgMfqVmrg~~_12.JPG

And you know what really gets stuck in my gullet..................Its not for a 79 Special at all.............He is trying to sell you a product that wont fit the model that he states it will fit

On the Carbs...why use the correct wrench when a pair of pliers will mangle brass nicely!
As far as the side cover, (looks much better then no cover at all). A PET PEEVE but how damn hard is it to use THEN and THAN correctly?
Then, refers to time (I am going here, THEN there). Than, is for comparing things (I like this better THAN that). Sorry but that one bugs the crap out of me.

Back