My first XS

twindallas

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Greetings everyone. I just picked up my first XS and I'm trying to decide whether to chop it up or keep it stock, (I really like the café look). The first thing I found was gas in the sump, so I'm goona look into the carbs and see what's hung up. The pic is from the Craigslist ad. It appears to be unmolested. Thanks!

Attachments

• XS 650.jpg
    XS 650.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 196
Welcome to the forum, twindallas. Looks like you found a good one.

You came to the right place, massive amount of info in here, lots of bike builds for inspiration.

In another post you asked about seat mods. One thing to consider is the age of the cushion foam. Over time that stuff may start breaking down and rotting. But, it is easy to carve using an electric turkey carving knife.

Now, where to find electric turkeys...

Yes, it seems you have found a nice unmolested example. I would suggest for starters to change to some lower more sensible bars. It will transform the whole look and feel of the bike. Then before making a bunch of major changes, I would ride the bike for a while and sort all its little problems. Learn about it and how to work on it. Get it sorted and running really well. Learn how to tune it, there's lots to adjust on these (timing, points, valves, cam chain, carbs).

I agree with 5twins, on the ride till you work out all the kinks.
Also how much riding and wrenching experience have you had?
If very little of either the more you need to ride it as stock. This will get you familiar with what the bike is.
Then do small changes and see how you like them. Once you start cutting things up it's hard to go back if you don't like it.
Leo

Thanks for the good info! I have ridden and worked on my own bikes for many years, but never an XS. I agree that the bull horn's need to go, and I do plan to get it running right before I make any big decisions. Since the seat is toast, I think I'll just take it to someone here in town along with a picture of another example that I like. Thanks again!

OK, so I got it running and took out and ran it through all the gears. Starter button is missing, starter is grinding when I do use it, and it starts on the first kick. Conclusion, this will be a kick only bike for now. Still a little gas peeing out the right carb when on the side stand, so I'll get them off and cleaned soon. I'll start the search for lower bars, someone to redo the seat, and get it registered and inspected. Has anyone here cut out the stock exhaust ends for a better sound, or drilled holes around the center opening? Thanks!

It's pretty common for the horn and starter buttons to break off on this and most other old Jap bikes. Good news is the buttons are both the same, and also the same on most of the old '70s and '80s Jap bikes. That makes used replacements pretty easy to scrounge. If you do end up needing to buy a new one, I recommend the aluminum ones from this guy. They don't cost any more than a plastic replacement and should last forever .....

http://www.freewebs.com/kibokojoe/

The grinding starter is a common problem on these 650s. Here's the fix .....

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18060

Back