Mystery Tool - what is it?

The police use them to dredge for bodies in rivers and lakes.

Just another reason to stay away from NJ!:yikes:

“Whadya think? We gonna stack em up in the back room? We gotta put em somewhere.”
E54941B3-B45E-4FDA-A00F-CFF67D69441D.jpeg

Okay enough, time to get this derailed train back on track!

I tried locating a service manual online to explain this but so far no luck so this is probably going to be a rather wordy explanation, I do tend to get carried away with details at times!

I'm going to try to explain what that Mystery Tool I posted is, this one:
fishtail001.jpg

As I believe I mentioned before it is considered a wrench. So what do you use a wrench for? Tuning a nut, right?

I'm going to assume you people know what a spanner nut is, if not they are the ones you use to adjust the steering head bearings on your XS650. Well there are other applications and some much bigger than those little ones.

One place they have been used is to adjust the rear wheel bearings on some off-highway trucks. Picture a spanner nut that is around 8 inches outside diameter threaded on an axle housing that has a thread size of about 6 inches.

As you can imagine that would take a bit larger tool than whatever you use to adjust the steering head on the Yamaha. Also the torque needed is considerably high than I would want on the steering of said Yamaha! Now to make it fun this nut is about a foot down inside a housing with a diameter of at the most 24 inches so not easy to crank on the nut.

Well the housing this nut is down inside of is the wheel for the truck so it turns on the wheel bearing the nut is adjusting. So now you have a nut that needs to be turned and a wheel that will turn, hummmm how can these two things work to your advantage?

Like I said I could not find a manual online to show it but here is a rough sketch that might explain it:
fishtail002.jpg

Not obvious in this poor sketch is the fact that there is a threaded hole in the wheel for a 3/4 inch bolt that goes through the "wrench" and acts a a pivot point. Turning the wheel with the "wrench" bolted to it and engaged in one of the notches of the spanner nut there for turns the nut! Wheel could be turned by putting a bar in spoke like parts of the casting or wheel studs.

The reason for two holes in the "wrench" is simply because the tool was made to fit more than one size nut for different trucks.

One thing I really was hoping to find the correct service manual for was to show the "Torque spec." they gave and how they measured it. Don't recall the actual torque but the method to measure it was something like "A 180 pound man hanging on a 8 foot bar"! If I ever dig up that service manual I'll try to remember to scan that page in for here!

Almost for got to tell you what the wrench is called, it's a "Fishtail Wrench"!

Okay enough, time to get this derailed train back on track!

I tried locating a service manual online to explain this but so far no luck so this is probably going to be a rather wordy explanation, I do tend to get carried away with details at times!

I'm going to try to explain what that Mystery Tool I posted is, this one:
View attachment 138419

As I believe I mentioned before it is considered a wrench. So what do you use a wrench for? Tuning a nut, right?

I'm going to assume you people know what a spanner nut is, if not they are the ones you use to adjust the steering head bearings on your XS650. Well there are other applications and some much bigger than those little ones.

One place they have been used is to adjust the rear wheel bearings on some off-highway trucks. Picture a spanner nut that is around 8 inches outside diameter threaded on an axle housing that has a thread size of about 6 inches.

As you can imagine that would take a bit larger tool than whatever you use to adjust the steering head on the Yamaha. Also the torque needed is considerably high than I would want on the steering of said Yamaha! Now to make it fun this nut is about a foot down inside a housing with a diameter of at the most 24 inches so not easy to crank on the nut.

Well the housing this nut is down inside of is the wheel for the truck so it turns on the wheel bearing the nut is adjusting. So now you have a nut that needs to be turned and a wheel that will turn, hummmm how can these two things work to your advantage?

Like I said I could not find a manual online to show it but here is a rough sketch that might explain it:
View attachment 138415
Not obvious in this poor sketch is the fact that there is a threaded hole in the wheel for a 3/4 inch bolt that goes through the "wrench" and acts a a pivot point. Turning the wheel with the "wrench" bolted to it and engaged in one of the notches of the spanner nut there for turns the nut! Wheel could be turned by putting a bar in spoke like parts of the casting or wheel studs.

The reason for two holes in the "wrench" is simply because the tool was made to fit more than one size nut for different trucks.

One thing I really was hoping to find the correct service manual for was to show the "Torque spec." they gave and how they measured it. Don't recall the actual torque but the method to measure it was something like "A 180 pound man hanging on a 8 foot bar"! If I ever dig up that service manual I'll try to remember to scan that page in for here!

Almost for got to tell you what the wrench is called, it's a "Fishtail Wrench"!
I like it !
Always brightens my day to learn something new about old tools and their application !
Thanks, Ken.

My bad. Just double checked... it's a dash 6

37..... -08
I used a ruler on the screen and figured it was a little small for a -06 but might just be the resolution on my screen.

For my first couple years working in the shop did not know of such a tool and actually made a couple homemade ones. Then one day they were unloading some odds and ends from a closed shop in another part of the company and this greasy rolled up bag fell into my hands. Did not take but a few seconds to understand what they were and in to my possession. I did leave them at the shop when I retired but kind of think that might not have been a good idea as I'm not sure anyone but me knew what they were used for. Recall that set went from -04 right up to -24 or -32

Back