Newbie preparing a 78' Special for a big trip.

antisquare

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm 26 years old and two summers ago I bought my first Motorcycle. It's a 1978 XS650 Special and it seems to be in good shape. This summer (mid july) I'm hoping to take five or six weeks and circumnavigate the USA traveling from my home in Nova Scotia Canada along the American coast up to Vancouver, Canada. This is a huge undertaking and ambitious trip for me. My longest trip so far has been three days at about 400km (250miles) per day. I have a lot to learn and am hoping to gain advice and insight from all of you more experienced XS riders.

Am I crazy to try and take such an old bike this old on a trip this long?

What maintenance would you do to the bike before attempting this? (the bike has 41,000km on the odometer and I have no records of what work was done to it before I bought it)

What parts & tools would you carry?

Where would you buy hard travel cases and a back rack for this model bike?

All of your thoughts and guidance are much appreciated.
Thanks!

antisquare;

Welcome to the forum.

Well, that's a very ambitious plan, both for you and the bike. Sure, you can do it, but you need to make sure the bike is in good mechanical and electrical condition.

Most of these bikes never had proper maintenance, so they have to be refurbished.

Normal compression is around 140 to 145 psi.............what is yours?

Does your bike charge to 14.5 volts at 3000 rpm? The charging system needs improvements...........rectifier and regulator need to be replaced (see my signature). For a trip like that, start with new brushes and maybe a new battery.

Original ignition coils were weak when new. I'd recommend a single new dual output coil that will give 30k volts or better. A Pamco to replace the points is highly recommened.

If the bike still has the original 4 position fuse holders (glass fuses), they are worn out and must be replaced with automotive blade type fuse holders.

You will want a high quality clutch cable such as the "EZ Pull" that is sold by www.650central .com. Stock type cables are not as heavy duty.

It goes without saying, that your tires and brake pads must be in good condition............how old are they?

Canadian bikes came with a 36 rear sprocket, which is too low of gearing for a long trip. Better to go to something between 30 and 33. If the sprocket teeth look to be worn (hooked over), then its time for new sprockets front and rear and a new chain.

An analog voltmeter mounted on the bike is a nice addition, as it will give you warning if the electrical system starts to fail.

How many kms have you put on the bike..................you need considerable kms to prove reliability.

78 Special is a favourite of mine:)..................I got rid of the roto-tiller handlebars and the vacuum petcocks. Manual petcocks much more reliable.

I replaced my rototillers with cb750 bars. i don't mind the rototiller look, but they were causing a syndrome in my shoulders. I couldn't lift my arms over my head for 6 mos.

I'm planning the same thing as you, only with no money :)) I will have to find odd jobs along the way to even get back home. If I find someplace I especially like, maybe I will stay.

If you have something like upgraded AAA there that covers bikes and etc., it will at least get you to a garage if you have a bad breakdown.

well shit, I was just telling someone today about how I wanted to do the lower 48 states on an 650 in a summer. Practical not so much for me at the moment but i like what xjwmx has in mind, thats the way to do it.

What the retiredgentleman said plus I would add my choice of tires, the Bridgestone Spitfire series. They have dual compound tread, meaning the center is a harder for long life, the sides softer for more grip. I've put thousands of miles on these tires and they're an excellent choice for the XS650

You. Lucky. Bastard.

I think the single most appealing thought is that if I encounter someone I can't stand, instead of having to deal with it and repressing this and that, sometimes for years, I can simply put 500 miles between us and never see them again, and have it as if they never existed.

To the original poster about getting the bike ready, one thing I would take care of is to replace all the so-called consumables that would present a problem if you had to take care of them on the road, like fork seals, since you say you don't know what's been done.

Regarding the "back rack" if you mean a sissy bar, I have one that will fit a '78 or '79 Special, I've been told. It's like the one in this thread:
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3740

This is exactly what I'm looking for!
Posting in this forum is the most productive thing thats happened for my trip preparation so far. Thank you so much for your help!

_MC6_ - These cases are exactly what I'm looking for. Do you have any tips on how I should go about mounting them or how much clearance I should keep above the pipes?

retiredgentleman - Wow. Thanks for taking the time to be so thorough. You don't know how much it helps! Now I've got a list of things to check out. I replaced the clutch cable with an EZ pull when I first got it. I've only put about 3200km on the bike so far.

XJWMX - I do have CAA which transfers to AAA when I cross the border. The plan does cover bikes. Couldn't lift your arms.... that's a little frightening maybe I should look into other bar types as well. When are you thinking about beginning your adventure? I'm also traveling cheap, I have a hammock for shelter and a little MSR stove for cooking, going to try to do the majority of the trip like that. Fork seals, I will do, there is already more play in the forks then I'd like. Not so much a sissy bar I'm after more like a flat rack I can sit a top case on.

Alfredo - East Coast of Virginia is now one of my goals!

Hotrdd - Thanks!!

Classic - I've not. I'll check it out.

Lettle - That's amazing! A fellow XS rider at home, I never expected that! With a 78' too, Awesome!

Other questions for the wise:

Any tips on trying to lessen the vibration?
Also, I would like it if the bike was a little more quiet. Any suggestions on pipes to choose?

I've been using this forum for one day and I can tell I'm going to be a lifer. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
it would be great if you could post to the forum on your trip, from time to time, and let us know how it's going.

Purplezinger - Thanks for the recommendation. I'll need some new tires for this trip for sure.

emzdogz - I'm hoping to do blog updates along the way. If I can actually get that off the ground I will post a link here for sure!

I'm doimg a two week trip of the alps from mid-July, so im goimg through the same stuff. I can also recommend the pamco setup.
I'd say 1500 test kilometers should be sufficient to rule out any issues.

Maybe a scott-oiler and Defeld hardbags?

Posted via Mobile

I’ve done this for long hikes and other road trips but it would work here as well. Make yourself a care package of extra parts, tools and maybe some “home brewed food” for when you need it. Leave it behind with friends and family and if you have trouble just have them UPS the stuff you need to get back on the road. This will be quicker than trying to order these special parts as you go. If you keep us posted here you might even get some people interested in joining you for short legs of the trip.

antisquare,

Well, sounds like an adventure that we would all like to do. Hopefully, your trip will not encounter any problems, but there is nothing wrong with being prepared for problems.

Here are some of the things I would do in your place:

1. Either before you leave, or as you stop in small towns along the way, get the phone number of a towing company that can tow a motorcycle. You don't want to have to pay for a long distance wrecker to come and get you. Local is better.
2. See how long it takes for the battery to go down to 10.5 volts with the headlight turned on and the engine not running. Turn off the kill switch for this test. That is the time you will have to find a place to stop when the alternator quits working.
2a. If you do have an alternator failure, unplug the regulator as you don't need it anymore and that will add about a 1/2 hour to your battery life, or 30 miles to the rescue stop.
3. Try to not ride at night.
4. Install a new clutch cable and carry the old one as a spare.
5. If you wear corrective glasses, carry the prescription with you.
6. Carry a spare tube for front and rear. Even if you find a place to change the tube, they will not have your size in stock. It's a rule.
7. Clean out the gas tank. You are bound to have to run on reserve and you do not want the crud in the bottom of the tank to clog up the pet cock or carbs.
8. Install a windshield. Riding all day with the wind blowing you off of the bike gets old fast.

Back