Newbie preparing a 78' Special for a big trip.

LOVE THIS!! Totally making one in a few minutes!:thumbsup:

Here's one of the two I made. The other is in a pack somewhere. In addition to that Heet stuff, they run on denatured alcohol. The Heet is odorless though.

Attachments

• DSCI0795.jpg
    DSCI0795.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 169
Here's one of the two I made. The other is in a pack somewhere. In addition to that Heet stuff, they run on denatured alcohol. The Heet is odorless though.

What did you use for material inside the stove? The Youtube video says to use "fiberglass". Are they talking about fiberglass insulation? Is that safe to burn or have around food and breathing air?

^Yes, they mean fiberglas insulation. It's usually pink but I've seen it in yellow, like in the video. I think it's pretty harmless; your house is probably packed with it. To get mine I went up in the unfinished attic and found some. It's flameproof, which is a requirement for house insulation I think. It just wicks the alcohol up so it vaporizes more readily.

Back on topic, sort of, I bought the last gas in town under $4 yesterday. Today went to a place where they send you out to do factory labor. Gonna save up a little, then do the same elsewhere. Going to be a fun summer I hope, and sort of like old times. A nice job is so seductive but can also be a kind of entrapment too.

hey guys, thanks for the advice so far. im planning a trip this summer too (from Chicago to LA) and i had a few questions.

this may seem stupid, but where do you set up camp at night? do u have to find a campground or can u just go off the side of the road? im worried about cops/property owners/thieves but want to get the full experience by camping on the road.

as far as roads go, are interstate or smaller highways best? interstates would def be less fun, but i feel like i would be likely to get lost/run out of gas/break down and not be able to get help on a US or state highway. can anyone recommend any good routes?

thanks.

If you want to camp around Springfield, MO PM me and you can share the pasture.
A word of caution young calves can't leave loose wire be. They like human children have to taste everything.
If you want to rough it you can fish for your meals, squirrel and rabbits available if you're good enough with a bean flipper.
Need short funds? If you will use a rock bar and post hole diggers, string wire, or pound t posts I pay $10 hr.
I don't pay for breaks or thinking bout it time.
Stay a week to work, rest and maintenance your bike and act sensible enough you can sleep in/use the shop.
Show up and show your ass and the dog will take you out the gate and he won't give you time enuff to collect your stuff. This applies to all makes of bikes. It isn't bikes he dislikes. It is people that disturb my peace or get between him and the little bride.

Why would you want to take a trip to see/experience the journey and stay on the fast lanes? Isn't that what you're trying to escape from?

where do you set up camp at night? do u have to find a campground or can u just go off the side of the road? im worried about cops/property owners/thieves but want to get the full experience by camping on the road.

The best I've been able to learn, one key thing is to stay out of sight if camping "unofficially." Hide. If you want an official campground, they'll usually run close to $20 when all is said and done. In a national forest you can usually camp anywhere for free. Although parks aren't free. Dragging a motorcycle along doesn't simplify this aspect.

If you can plan ahead on some nights, couchsurfing.com works pretty good. Even if you just want to camp in someones yard. Worth a look maybe.

^My first reaction to that is bad. I'm thinking Addams Family in assless chaps. I'm thinking disappearances.

But you know, until sometime after the Civil War, it wasn't unusual for travelers to stay at houses they passed along the way, either for free or for some small amount of money, whatever they agreed on. John Muir in his diary of his walk from Indiana to Florida writes of doing that quite a lot. I think it was 1879. When he gets to the city, he does eventually end up in a hidey hole in a cemetery waiting for a letter with money in it to arrive though.

Hey guys. Finally ready to go. Leaving my home in Nova Scotia tomorrow morning and hoping to cross over into maine and set up camp by dark. I have to be home by Aug 25 but from now until then I'm all adventure. Here's a photo of my bike Willow, she looks really loaded but all the gear and cases is under 100lbs. Wish me luck or come along for the ride if you like!!! I'll be trying to get online along the way my email is kevinAfraser@gmail.com. Thanks for all the advice and support!!!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-8oO4I9L_o...AFg/jPt_MAx_bEg/s1600/Willow+July+13th001.JPG

antisquare;

Your bike looks like its ready:thumbsup:. The 78 Special will get the job done.

If you come through Calgary, when you get to the west side of the country, send me an e-mail (or a PM on this site) when you are close to this area, and you can stop in at my home. Tools, food , beer, even a bed can be arranged.

I'll send my e-mail address to your posted e-mail address.

Enjoy the trip.

That's a gorgeous picture! Anyone who's blood doesn't warm up a bit looking at that must be a reptile.
Bon voyage! wishing you tons of fun and safe journeys.
:)
Em

Hey guys. Finally ready to go. Leaving my home in Nova Scotia tomorrow morning and hoping to cross over into maine and set up camp by dark. I have to be home by Aug 25 but from now until then I'm all adventure. Here's a photo of my bike Willow, she looks really loaded but all the gear and cases is under 100lbs. Wish me luck or come along for the ride if you like!!! I'll be trying to get online along the way my email is kevinAfraser@gmail.com. Thanks for all the advice and support!!!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-8oO4I9L_o...AFg/jPt_MAx_bEg/s1600/Willow+July+13th001.JPG

Back