Pamco Electronic ignition vs. high output?

yes i'll be running lights, but from what i've seen on youtube. one of the bikes hugh has built was running his lights on with no battery and with very slight flickering.

I guess if you can get away with it and run the LED light... but I'm not sure they would work or last that long. Batteries soak up a lot of dirty electric that comes of generating systems. There is so much spiking in voltage. I'm sure the capacitor soaks up and filters quite a bit. I don't know also that it would effect the PAMCO with any spiking in voltages. You would have to ask Pete on that one. I know decision decision. I shouldn't throw in my 2 cents. But it is thought to consider :}

yes i'll be running lights, but from what i've seen on youtube. one of the bikes hugh has built was running his lights on with no battery and with very slight flickering.

You must have either a battery or a capacitor with the PMA setup. The regulator needs one or the other to stabilize the voltage else it will go ape s#@& and fry the electrical system. Think about having springs but no shocks on the rear suspension.:eek:..same deal.
(Of course, someone will come back with " What about a hard tail" and my analogy will come apart. :doh: )

And yes of course a capacitor, knew I forgot list something. Most likely tha sparx one since everybody is having so much success with them.

Anyone have pics and part numbers for the HD Dyna style coil for a 277 re-phased? I trust it is just one multi fire little unit and not two separate coils from what I have gathered?

Hello, I bought the 142 dollar pamco ignition kit. I don't know how to wire it up .

On the coil. I have 2 copper posts with bolts on both, and 1 black wire and 1 blue wire....

on the the ignition board their are 3 wires, a green -black -red ... which wires go where.?

I'm just trying 2 start the motor ...I'm not hooking up any harness yet. So I'm just trying to hookup
the wires I described, and a battery to get it started.... any help would be great ...

Black to ground, green to one coil post, red to other coil post and +12 power, done.\\

CoilWiring.JPG

Cool Gary thank you ........ hey Gary I have also 2 wires coming out of coils .
a black and a blue ... do you know what those are for

Hello pete ... on my pamco duel coil ... there are two posts,and a black wire and a blue wire
what are those two wires used for.....?

14-0901.jpg

those copper posts are the mounting posts they are not electrical. the black and blue wires hook to the red and green. doesn't matter which.

17-6822.jpg

Hey guys probably a dumb question but I picked up a duel high output coil from mikes xs and am trying to run it kick only with a pma kit and a sparkx setup but still using the points. Is this possible with that coil? and if so what's the wiring to the coil look like as it only has two posts?
Thanks in advance for any help...

Hi guys,

I blow my ultimate coil from mikes xs and cant afford a new one can you wire up the old coils to a pamco ignition? And if so how?
I have a
1980 xs650
Pma
Pamco ignition
Kick and eletric start
Thanks for the help

i love my pamco i have no idea what one was installed the previous owner did the work. i timed the bike and the pamco was installed correctly and l did the timing in a couple adjustments now the bike will fire with a simple bump of the starter and i love love love it. my father checked out the bike my 79 starts better than his 98 bike with recent services he was impressed.

I have a pamco classic type ignition, my tx 650 is bare under the seat for I am running cone cleaners and have removed the battery box. May I have examples of successful coil mounting.

Most of these last few questions can be answered by going to www.yamahaxs650.com This is Pete's ignition site. It has the proper install instructions. It has several options on coil mounting.
It tells what the coils primary side ohms needs to be. Any dual output coil that has primary ohms in that range will work.
Leo

Hey guys I'm the new guy so to speak. I just bought a 1980 xs650 and the guy I bought it from had a Pamco ignition on it. Where can I find electrical prints on it or what are the basics? How do I know it working right and timed correctly? Seams like there are a lot of variations of it too.

Back