pickup question AGAIN

jetero41

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
As some of you ( Thanks guys ) know I have had trouble with my '83 HS pickup. Getting ready to remedy this and just thought maybe I burnt it up.....

Is there anything that you can think of that I might have done or is wired wrong that would burn up a pickup ?

By the way, gggGary, 'Skull, Gordon, RG, new (used) pickup, tested beautiful at 747 +,- ohms, each coil. Retested existing still nothing, (verifying test method).
But got nothing from either with magnet.

Yes, it would be possible to burn it up if you had it connected wrong. Before you connect it, read from the connector to ground, with the ignition on, and the meter on DC volts.

For the magnet test, put the meter on DC volts, on the lowest (millivolts) setting if it's not auto-ranging. The passing magnet should just generate some small voltage you can read on the meter.

If you didn't see the voltage it would be strange, but if the coils show the right resistance the pickup ought to work. Maybe the magnet was too weak.

Didn't "newly" hook up the pickup. There was a period while I experimented with jumpers (removing unnecessary relays and safeties) to get the start button to work. The work should have been far enough removed from "charging circuit"......

What part of KY ?? Spent 20 yrs in Cave City.

Back