The Centerstand Challenge - Lift Assist Handle

Hi TooMany: re: Honda ST1300 lift handle.

Yes, that handle is built into the LH side cover of all ST1300s and as I said, without it, I really don't see how any normal human being could ever put that thing on the centre stand.

It is actually very similar to the one shown in the thread - and it works just as well (but it doesn't provide any tool storage ).

Pete

Well, I've got mine done. Many thanx to Gordon for the hot tip on the heavy-duty sidecar clamp. It fits perfectly, leaving about 1/16" clearance to the rear of the sidecover.
View attachment 88967

The best height for me is all the way up the frame tube.
The handle includes a ball-detent to keep it swung out.
View attachment 88968

But, wait! There's more!
The handle unscrews from its mount base.
View attachment 88969

And now, the handle is a magnetic hexbit screwdriver and breaker bar, with storage for all them bits...
View attachment 88970
That's brilliant 2M! Where did you get the parts? I'm assuming that the little flip clip right above it is somehow related to your seat, since I don't see a standard seat lock there. Or is it part of the handle assembly? I love the idea of multiple uses. This looks even better than the cargo strap option, at least until I mess up my shoulder again.

Where did you get the parts?

Thanx, Michael. The hollow, bit-holding handle was found in one of those budget tool bins you find at auto parts stores. The magnetic bit driver end is one of those thicker diameter Dewalt extensions. Everything in between had to be hand crafted, like milling the pivot body:
20160827_232502.jpg

I'm assuming that the little flip clip right above it is somehow related to your seat, since I don't see a standard seat lock there. Or is it part of the handle assembly?

That's the early model seat latch. Simple, no locks.

I love the idea of multiple uses. This looks even better than the cargo strap option, at least until I mess up my shoulder again.

Oh, yeah, multiple uses is one of my favorites. Especially when you want to minimize space/weight. You oughta see some of the clever tricks used by the drug-smuggling border crossers down here...

<snip> You oughta see some of the clever tricks used by the drug-smuggling border crossers down here...

Hey?????? you're not telling on yourself are ya????

Yep......space is a terrible thing to waste and your handle trick is the bomb.

Winter is in the air here........some of my favorite riding weather is just around the corner.

Gordon in NC

Hey?????? you're not telling on yourself are ya????

Whoah-Haha, no! We get a lot of cop shows broadcast down here, including "Border Wars", showing all the outrageous tricks used by smugglers.

Yep......space is a terrible thing to waste and your handle trick is the bomb...

Thanx, Gordon. And, a waist is a terrible thing with space...

Winter is in the air here........some of my favorite riding weather is just around the corner...

Hope you're watching for hurricane Mathew. Might skitter up your way...

Last edited:
Well done 2M ! Seriously !
now get back on the Stand Mod and tell us Farm boys how much to cut out'a the stand legs to make it easier so we don't need a handle LOL
.....heheheheh
In Years past I used to roll my 305 Honda dream backwards and then catch the sturip of the centerstand with my heal and ride it backwards till it stopped.... I think that is what was done with my machine ....many times..... I shouldn't complain I guess I showed him how to do that ! LOL
it never hurt my Honda but it didn't do the XS650 much good I see ! HAHAHAHAHA!
He was my Rideing buddy for years haha ! I tought him how to Hill climb too but he gave that up when he got the 650 <Whew!>
2M: I was thinking of shortening the length of the feet on the center stand and it's crushed pads as well as lengthening the step on bar....as long as it's tucked in nice and tidy it should never touch the ground whle cornering..... but I said that before with my welded on floorboards on my Honda 1100cc
they touched at 50mph and I wound up picking the bike up next to a tree ! ...still running ! so I do know the dangers of having someing touching the ground that is fermly attached to the frame ! it's a NOOOO NO ! LOL
.... I'm guessing 1/2" and tack it and try it does that sound reasonable ..... cuz it's too late when ya gone too far ! HAHAHAHAH!
...... at the angle it's at and all that math stuff I'ed think a 1/2" is a good place to start..... cut it out of the vertical tube and re weld it. eh ?
what do you all think ?

C ya
Bob............

I know this is an older thread and I just read all the way through it, and it got me thinking about different bikes I've owned and their centerstands. I had a 1977 BMW R100/7 that was a lot heavier than our 650's that had some aftermarket ride off stand on it. For as heavy as it was , that was the easiest bike I ever lifted on to a centerstand. It didn't raise the bike very much. In fact when it was in the stand, both wheels were still lightly in the ground. Then when you wanted to go, the added weight of sitting in the bike put enough pressure on the rear wheel , that all you had to do was start your bike, put it in gear and ride right off the stand.
The only negative was that every time you did this, it caused the stand to grind against the pavement a little, and eventually wore down your stand.
But it sure worked slick.

I think that Bob's onto something in that other thread, the centerstanded height needed to give clearance during rear wheel removal.

The older XS1, XS2, TX650 have a rear fender with a low-hanging end, and deep flat sides. This requires a bit of height, and wiggling, to get that wheel outta there.

I've never fooled with the later models, but they appear to have a rear fender that may provide more clearance, allowing that lower centerstanded height. Maybe the same with the BMWs?

I don't think the Special was planned that way, it just happened as a result of not altering the stand. It's the same one that was used on the Standard models. The Special sits lower in the rear which puts the tire higher off the ground when on the stand. If I owned a Special, I probably would cut the stand down.

cutting the stand down worked for me... I cut a 1/2" section out of both legs ground it flat and re welded it so the end height came out about 3/4" shorter..... its so much easier to get on the center stand now it's hard to believe....
Bob....

Bob...................when you cut the legs and shortened them, did you put a slug or rod into the hollow legs to strengthen the joint?
Now with the shorter legs, how much space is there from the rear tire to ground?

I originally set out to cut off just 1/2" but that wound up to be almost 3/4" due to the angle of the cut... with the suspension as short as it will go there is about 1/2" under the back tire to the concrete of the shop floor.... with the suspension all the way up (Front and rear) the back tire just barely touches the ground
but will turn when the bike is idling.... but it's real close ! I was thinking of adding 1/8" plate under the stand to raise it a bit but I don't run my suspension that high , so with it on the low settings it's great.
I did not reinforce the tube inside.... it didn't need it in my view it's plenty strong....
it made a world of diference getting the bike on the center stand ! it almost goes up just by stepping on the center stand's tang but I do have to lift some ..... probably about 30lbs is all....
Bob......

On my 1978 Special, the whole problem was the fact that the rear tire had 2 inches between it and the pavement. The centre stand was just too long! My centre stand was 9 inches from the centre of the pivot point to the bottom of the legs. I cut out a section from both legs and had them welded back together. Now my two legs are only 7 and 7/8 inches. I'm now amazed at how easy it is to get onto the centre stand.

I went for a short ride today, and when I drove back into my garage, I wanted to see if I could put the bike on the centre stand, while I was still on the bike. I never thought it was possible, but while still sitting on the bike, I put my left foot down on the centre stand tang, pushed it down to the garage floor, raised by butt off the seat slightly, pulled back a small amount on both handlebars, and the bike popped right onto the centre stand.
There was no lifting at all...............zero effort required.! The rear tire is now about 1/8 inch from the pavement.
I have never been able to put a bike onto the centre stand, while I was sitting on it!

Is anyone else able to put their bike up onto the centre stand, while still on the bike, or do you have to get off and stand beside the bike?

I think You have me Beat RG ! WELL DONE !!!!!!! I don't think I can do that as my centerstand after shortening it is a bit longer I think
I think I have about 1/2" tire clearance when up on the stand.... but it is so much easier to Put it up on the centerstand now than it was it's like the difference between night and day !
I havn't tried that..... but I might be able to as my weight alone is almost enough by it's self ...I might if I pull back real hard on the handle bars.... but I kind'a doubt it ! LOL
Glad you did that ! it is certainly one thing that makes the bike easer to deal with !
Bob.......

Yeah Bob, you should give it a try. I didn't think I could do it either. Of course the key to it, is that you have to remove the right amount from the legs. The 1 1/8" I removed is about right,but maybe just 1" exactly would be perfect for a Special.
As long as I'm on reasonably level ground, I may stop using the side stand completely. Another big advantage, of having the bike on the centre stand, is that you don't have to swing your leg up and over the back of the bike or any back packs/ top cases. You simply step up on the left foot peg, and lift your leg over the centre part of the seat......................so much easier for us guys that are a little past middle age:D.

I think the main goal is to have zero lifting ,no lift handle required at all.

Back