What is it: 70 or 71 XS? Please chime in!

Is it a 1970 or 1971 Xs650?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

Tstedham

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So I found an old XS forsale on Craigslist. The owner new very little about it, just that it is a Yamaha, no paper work or title. This would be my first xs650 purchase so I don't know much either. Yes I ve looked up the chassis #, and frame VIN # on various sites. Narrows it down to a 70or.....71
The details:
- frame and matching engine # is: s650-011802
- has steel forks with springs on the outside of fork tube.
- has the "off centered" large triple tree stop attached to frame neck.
I will add pic, just want to figure out for sure if it's a 1970 or 71. XS1
P.s if it's something special talk know or forever hold your piece I do intent on basterdizing this bike into a cafe/brat style bike unless it's something worth not screwing around with

Attachments

• IMG_0606.JPG
    IMG_0606.JPG
    198.8 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_1187.JPG
    IMG_1187.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_1179.JPG
    IMG_1179.JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_0260.JPG
    IMG_0260.JPG
    220 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_0259.JPG
    IMG_0259.JPG
    203.8 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0258.JPG
    IMG_0258.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 206
Welcome to forum.

Its good to see some one else from the Okanagan on here (I'm just across the bridge in Kelowna).

Where did you find it? I comb Craigslist pretty regularly and never saw it.

Others with more knowledge than I can chime in on the exact year (edit. Numbers look to be from a 71). It would be a shame to cut up an early xs example.

Last edited:
Hi Tstedham and welcome,
Skull's ID chart sez the bike is an XS1F and that model was made between August '70 and July '71
Your photo array shows that it's in pretty sad cosmetic shape even if it runs good.
I'd say the bike's condition puts it just about on the cusp of being worth restoring.
Mind you, if that bike is restored back to original it'll be worth a lot more money than if it's been (to use your term) bastardized.
Another thing to consider is that parts for the earlier engines ain't as easy to find as parts for the later ones.

Welcome to forum.

Its good to see some one else from the Okanagan on here (I'm just across the bridge in Kelowna).

Where did you find it? I comb Craigslist pretty regularly and never saw it.

Others with more knowledge than I can chime in on the exact year (edit. Numbers look to be from a 71). It would be a shame to cut up an early xs example.
Found it on Craigslist Langley BC, Iam in the lower mainland frequently so I check Craigslist down that way as well! Ya right on Okanagan XS650's!

Hi Tstedham and welcome,
Skull's ID chart sez the bike is an XS1F and that model was made between August '70 and July '71
Your photo array shows that it's in pretty sad cosmetic shape even if it runs good.
I'd say the bike's condition puts it just about on the cusp of being worth restoring.
Mind you, if that bike is restored back to original it'll be worth a lot more money than if it's been (to use your term) bastardized.
Another thing to consider is that parts for the earlier engines ain't as easy to find as parts for the later ones.
Yes it's in ruff shape, but the engine seams to be in far better shape than the rest of the bike, it had unoriginal engine mount bolts and nuts installed very loose, engine was basically resting in the frame, I think the engine was removed and stored indoors while the rest of the roller sat outdoors in the elements. Oil is clean and engine tkicks over with good compression. Odometer reads 12400 miles. But that being said the rest is really corroded and rusty. And missing seat, rear fender, blinkers , tail light, side covers and lots of other little pieces. At this point I am not going to to feel to bad modifying it to suit my style.

Welcome to the forum, Tstedham. You've got a bit of a mix there.

- frame and matching engine # is: s650-011802
- has steel forks with springs on the outside of fork tube.

The serial numbers identify it as an early-half 1971 model.
The front end likely came from a 1970 XS1.

Yes it's in ruff shape, but the engine seams to be in far better shape than the rest of the bike,...

... Odometer reads 12400 miles.

... But that being said the rest is really corroded and rusty. And missing seat, rear fender, blinkers , tail light, side covers and lots of other little pieces. At this point I am not going to to feel to bad modifying it to suit my style.

It appears to have the wrong instruments, they look to be from 72-73. So, don't trust that odometer reading. The rear frame loop has been cut off. Yeah, there's so much missing and corroded that you'll run out of money and patience for an effective restoration. Chop away!

Much of what's in member lpa62's thread would apply to yours, as his is also an early-half 1971.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/xs1b.48298/

Much more can be found by doing a forum search on "XS1B" and clicking on 'search titles only'.

Have you looked into what it would take to get it registered? It looks like you've started taking it apart...

If it hasn't been registered in BC previously, they (Insurance agent) might want to sight the bike "complete" with matching VINs.

Hi Tstedham, yes mine is an XS1b and a little mixed up with a 72; tank, seat, side covers, battery box (not sure about that), throttle and maybe a few others. Also the rear wheel is alloy and maybe from a 79 and the bars are totally off. Moving forward with getting back as close as possible to stock. Good luck.

Have you looked into what it would take to get it registered? It looks like you've started taking it apart...

If it hasn't been registered in BC previously, they (Insurance agent) might want to sight the bike "complete" with matching VINs.
I was able to get a new registration and title in my name through the lost title/vin process at icbc. So iam good to move forward with the restoration.

Back