Why can't Ebayers be honest

kerno

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Gathering parts for my 1977 XS650D. History: 1977 XS650D was brought into the UK Halco tuning and given an extensive rebuild in 1997. I bought her in 1999 and owned until 2001 before selling her to a friend to finance boat purchase. He owned her until recently and I have bought her back. Bad news she has been sat in a shed since June 2005 and now needs bringing back to her former glory.
Purchased a tank from ebay described as excellent condition needless to say it arrived covered in scratches two dents rough decals and a snapped key in the fuel cap!!!! Not cheap £142 or about $217 so not happy. hope the gearbox and selectors arrive in good condition. (she has the jumping first gear problem) so going to change complete clusters and selectors. So what do I do restore the recent tank back to XS650D blue or 1976 French blue???
Will post pics soon

Because there is money involved.

If everyone in the world was honest, then we would not need any police forces.:)

Did you buy the tank without seeing a picture, which would have shown the dents/scratches etc?

Yep saw pictures and sent a message to ask condition. Nice bright light reflecting on tank top so you couldn't see scratches and tank positioned so a shot showing dent was not taken

You can probably get your money back through ebay customer service... If he said it was in excellent condition and it's crappy take some pictures and get your money back.
I hate ebayers like that

Well, I've bought a ton of stuff on Ebay for my 5 motorcycles, so I guess I'm lucky because so far I have received parts in excellant condition at a good price.

I always buy from a 98% to 100% seller who is in the business of selling used motorcycle parts. Plenty of pictures and a money back guarantee. I think that businesses that sell on Ebay cannot afford to screw up.

I have also bought three motorcycles on Ebay and for all but one I inspected the bike before forking over the cash, being sure to verify the title first. Two of the three bikes were non runners, but I could judge from their general condition and the reason for selling that they were probably OK, and they were after the usual repairs. I still have these bikes and they are running great.

So, Ebay is a market where the buyer better beware, but I think if you just use a little caution and use the buying aids that Ebay offers then chances are you will be OK.

As for this particular gas tank issue, I think if you raise a dispute with E Bay, you will probably prevail.

Lots'a jerks around willing to take your money and give you crap in return...and then again it could be a relative thing....one mans description of 'excellent' may not match somebody else's. I remember going to look at an 'excellent' XS650 years ago; when I got there and saw the rusty old heap that this guy wanted top dollar for I just turned around and went home; can't do that when it comes to FleaBay etc, most people are straight up and honest, but pictures or not, it's always a bit of a gamble.
How's that old saying go?..."You pays your money, you takes your chances."

Update: Seller offered a refund of £60 about $94 if I wanted to keep the tank. As internally it is good decided to keep and refurbish the paintwork on it. Decided on paint scheme after seeing Triumph style XS scrambler on this site. Going for same blue as XS650D (1977) plain tank with Triumph style Yamaha logos. may strip chrome guards back and also paint blue. Will keep motor polished alloy along with wheel rims.

I got burned baaaaaddd On a set of cocktail shakers .. described as broke exhaust mout in exellent condition .. they arived with multiple dents dings chips and road rash ..

I sell on ebay and try to be honest as possible :D .. but as goldy stated peoples interpertation of exellent varies from person to person

Yep, A very misleading advert for those who do not know XS history. He seems to think he has a totally original flat tracker. Impossible!!!

I've been caught a couple of time with pairs of carbs, which when arrived turn out to have virtually every part different in them

I am nowhere near a "power seller" on eBay, but feel like I've done all right on what I've sold thus far by using relatively few words, just enough to identify what an item is, and enough pictures to show its true condition, warts and all. I'd like to think that when an item I've offerred hasn't sold, it's because no one needed it at the time (at least for the starting price I asked), rather than because I'm a scammer.

This is something that irks me to no end. I have done pretty well on E-bay so far as a seller and buyer. As a seller I am as honest as I can possibly be and will take returns if it's reasonable.
As a buyer I was only lied to once as of yet. It was involving these seat shocks. He says they are brand new blah blah. When I get them the spring has been cut to make them into 4" and I can see some of the bolts have been way over tightened and "bolt scratches" where they were mounted prior. Obviously a lie all the way. He did refund my money and shipping but still I had to pay for return shipping so I did lose some money not to mention my time. To me my "bike time" is important because I have 3 kids that take up any other free time I may have. I mean look at this pic, they look decent enough and the cut portion of the spring is so obviously hidden.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 104
He has it listed as a1978 in the heading and a 1976 in the description. The frame number confirms it as a a 1978 XS650E. He calls it all original and it is a street track conversion and can't be original. Carbs are not 34 or 38 cvs either. It has the tacho drive but no tacho.

He has it listed as a1978 in the heading and a 1976 in the description. The frame number confirms it as a a 1978 XS650E. He calls it all original and it is a street track conversion and can't be original. Carbs are not 34 or 38 cvs either. It has the tacho drive but no tacho.

Gee, just because the paint, decals, carbs, exhaust, seat, tank, headlight etc. etc. are all aftermarket it is still an original bike right? Hahahahaha!

:laugh:

Back