16" rear wheel to a 18" - looking for options

poorman9

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've got a 81 650H that's got a 16inch rear spoke wheel with drum brakes. I've decided doing the drum to disk conversion is too much work, but I would like to replaced the 16inch with an 18inch (spoked) wheel.

I went down to my local bike junkyard and he said everybody wants that exact wheel and he never gets them and I'll never find them. So what are my options? Would a TX750 or RD400 or anything else fit? I saw mike's XS has new rim and spokes, but after the cost of that and getting the wheel trued and all that, it's not really in my price range.

Thanks.

First post by the way!

Welcome. A tx750 rim does fit, and is an upgrade because of it's larger drum.

Doing a bit more research, from this SR500 forum it sounds like SR400's and RD250's would swap.

According to some old XSgarage post the XS500 and TX500 will swap right in, also some guy switched out the sprocket on a Honda 750 and that worked.

Also shouldn't the XS750 fit? I'm trying to get together a list to take down to the junk yard.

Hello.

I run 18" rear wheel. It´s from a xs 400 front wheel. But I also have a homemade spacer for the sprocket and discbrake from xs 400.

I guess James has a good solution there.

/BigBoreSwede

There was a TX750 rear wheel on Ebay yesturday, the brake plate , axle spacers and adjusters. The same guy has the front wheel too. Supposed to be new never ran tires mounted.

Back