1972 Questions

Herndon18

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ive had this bike for about a year, haven't had to much funds to buy new parts, so been tinkering with it, then tried sell it but keeps drawing me back to it. Finally got it running. Idles ok, voltage seems good for charging, sounds good. Now I can crank it without giving throttle and when I give throttle it tries to die. Or I can crank and give gas and can get higher Rpm but not solid very Skippy and keep having pat gas. I rode one lap around house buy playing with gas and clutch but eventually tries die out. Its also running very hot, the pipes were discolored when i brought it like its done that before. Im running pod filters also. Could this be a carb- jet issue. Or could it just need be ran. Been sitting for at least 10 years? Any suggestions would help. Thanks :bike:

Like any old bike you are going to have to make up your mind. Do you WANT it or not. If you want it; a commitment of time and funds is the ONLY way you will have a good running bike you can trust to take on the road.
The new to me thread found in the tech area button at the top of every page covers most of what needs to be done to get it running well, the carbs and ignition need attention. We can't really give advice beyond that because any old "been sitting" bike will have at least several issues that need correcting before it runs well. The carb guide is the bible if you decide to get serious on making it a runner not just kinda runs.
There's at least a chance it won't need serious money spent but $100-200 of new parts and 40-60 hours of your labor (more if MC mechanics is new to you) is pretty much a minimum.

Back