1972 xs 650 compression release starter.. do i need this?

BustedNuckle

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey there, wondering what people are doing with their 72's.. have this 72 motor that i may throw into another frame but unsure about this year motorcycle. I know that the starter was activated by the compression release but do people still use this or are they modding it differently with starter button ext..? Thanks!!

I actually retro-fitted that starter lever onto a later model, just because I'm a geek and think it's a very cool feature. :geek:

The compression release part is not needed (my rockers are late model). Just depends on what you want to do.
XS2 tappet cvr.jpg
XS2 starter.jpg

Last edited:
Hey there, wondering what people are doing with their 72's.. have this 72 motor that i may throw into another frame but unsure about this year motorcycle. I know that the starter was activated by the compression release but do people still use this or are they modding it differently with starter button ext..? Thanks!!
not needed but great to have if getting old and useless like me , also very handy if motors taken out to 750cc

I actually retro-fitted that starter lever onto a later model, just because I'm a geek and think it's a very cool feature. :geek:

The compression release part is not needed (my rockers are late model). Just depends on what you want to do.
View attachment 228948View attachment 228949
i like that as well!! mikes xs for that? i have similiar bike as you from what i can see.

Attachments

• tracker.jpg
    tracker.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 53
Back