1973 XS2 How Many In The UK?

Ravensmoor Bob

XS650 Member
Reaction score
HELLO EVERYONE,
I'M NEW TO THE FORUM.
I OWN A 1973 GENUINE UK XS2.
OBTAINING PRODUCTION INFORMATION & IMPORT NUMBERS FOR THE UK IS LIKE
EXTRACTING TEETH! IT IS EQUALLY DIFFICULT TO FIND OUT HOW MANY REMAIN REGISTERED.
I HAVE TRIED "HOW MANY LEFT.COM" & THERE WAS NO INFORMATION.
I HAVE E-MAILED YAMAHA UK & THEY HAVE TOLD ME ALL THE RECORDS WERE DESTROYED DURING THE CHANGEOVER FROM MITSUI. (the UK importer at that time)
IF ANYONE CAN ASSIST IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED AS I INTEND TO SHOW THE BIKE.
FOR REFERENCE IT IS IN STANDARD ORIGINAL CONDITION, HAS DONE 9K MILES, I AM THE SECOND OWNER & I DO NOT INTEND TO CARRLY OUT ONE OF THESE MEGA CONCOURSE RESTORATIONS. IT IS JUST TOO ORIGINAL! (even got the grey cables & decals from the supplying dealer in Tamworth)
THANKS BOB

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe the XS-2 was only produced in 1972. The TX-650 was produced in 1973.

I have a 72 xs2 in candy apple red ,all original.

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 300
In the UK it's year is whats on the log book when it is registered, rather than when it was built, so there can be a year or so difference between manufacter and registration, I was selling a SOHC 750 Honda this year and was told they didn't even make them the year it had on the log book.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will try & post some pics. The uk log book does say 1973, but it is conceiveable it was actually built in 1972.
Some of the detail that could possibly identify it as an xs2

* small black headlamp switch
* screw on yamaha tank badges
* front single disc (you have to remove the front wheel to take it off.)
* drum rear brake
* lever under throttle to operate electric start
* mikuni solex carbs

cheers bob

I could be wrong about this. But didn't you say it had gray cables. That would be 72. I think 73 was black,,, but I could be wrong. What do you guys say about the cable colors?

Some quick IDs; the 72 rotor is not bolted to the wheel, it rides on a carrier with it's own bearings, the 73 rotor has 6 bolts holding it to the hub.
72 seat seat is narrow at the front the 73 seat is wide.

US 72's are red 73s are blue.

72 front brake rotor 020.jpg

72 front brake rotor 017.jpg

tx650 015.jpg

Ive got a 73 plate bike in the uk,that i believe is an xs2 also! Bit hard to tell on most parts as ive chopped it!but the front brake assembly is the same as ggggarys pic
!

Redmax speedshop have my old xs2, UK bike K reg 72, not much left of the original bike apart from the frame

A_001_024.jpg

Got my registration papers back from the DVLA today and they have given me a "K" plate.
I am very happy with that ,after 18 months of restoring it is finally road legal.

For us in the former colony, what does a "k" plate signify?

For many years they ran a letter digit to signify the year, though as the year ran from August to August it actually covered the latter part of one year and the first part of the next, so even if you can work out which letter signifies which year you still have a choice of two:confused:
Think up to sometime in the early 80's the letter was at the end then up to 02 it was at the start, now it is a couple of numbers.

It means my xs is officially a 1972 ,not that there was any doubt but the Govt like everything to be official.
The Japanese vintage bike club narrowed mine down to an early 72 model,possibly January ,if they had said after August 72 it would have been given an L on the numberplates.

Back