1979 xs650 flat tracker

Normski xs

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the add. I’m fairly new to the xs650 having spent 30 years on modern sports bikes. I’ve used xs650.com quite a lot and up to now been very helpful cheers guys

Attachments

• A3024FC2-F90A-4216-BA39-D21B397B4AE5.jpeg
    A3024FC2-F90A-4216-BA39-D21B397B4AE5.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 60
Welcome! Nice looking XS650!

Thanks, it’s been my first ever project, the bike had been messed with quite a bit when I got it and also had no identity, so I pushed it in this direction. I’ve never really ever had to get hands on before with mechanics due to owning more modern stuff. I’m learning a lot of things, I’ve made mistakes and threw tools around in frustration with it, but finally getting it where I want it. In retrospect I should of bought one that hadn’t been tampered with as I’ve mostly had to sort other peoples crap out . Currently doing a top end rebuild as base gasket was weeping. Nearly ready to put back in bike, OH MY BACK 😂😂

Thanks, it’s been my first ever project, the bike had been messed with quite a bit when I got it and also had no identity, so I pushed it in this direction. I’ve never really ever had to get hands on before with mechanics due to owning more modern stuff. I’m learning a lot of things, I’ve made mistakes and threw tools around in frustration with it, but finally getting it where I want it. In retrospect I should have bought one that hadn’t been tampered with as I’ve mostly had to sort other peoples crap out . Currently doing a top end rebuild as base gasket was weeping. Nearly ready to put back in bike, OH MY BACK 😂😂
A lot of great threads on others little tricks to reinstall motor easier and many home built apparatuses.Well worth a view.👍

Very nice styling!
Question, what gearing have you experienced with it ? Lower?
And how does it feel at high speed?

Very nice styling!
Question, what gearing have you experienced with it ? Lower?
And how does it feel at high speed?
I’m actually running 17/30, cruises along nicely at 70 with less stress or vibration. I know some will disagree with this gearing but it suits me. Still pulls off nicely without dragging the clutch. I do sometimes use the motorways to travel to family or relatives, recently did a 300 mile round trip no problems 👍👍

Nice bike. I haven't seen too many trackers with gold/metallic paint. I like it!
Thanks, yeah it really does look lovely when the sun’s bouncing of it. I’ve done a few more cosmetic things while it’s been off the road for top end rebuild including some powder coating of swing arm and valve covers and a few more bits, also had the engine casings mirror polished, really pleased with it, can’t wait to get it all back together 👍👍

Attachments

• 69CF2840-C467-4E47-8140-B83A7F7A03B2.jpeg
    69CF2840-C467-4E47-8140-B83A7F7A03B2.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 36
Back