1st Bike! XS650?

Sammo

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all, was soo glad to find a whole website dedicated on this type of bike. I'm 25 and looking to get my first bike this summer. I got a few classes left and I'll have my motorcycle endorsement! Eventually want to turn it into a bobber, but I wouldnt mind at all getting one stock. Although I really dont have any experience working on bikes.. Just wanted to ask and see if you guys think this is a good first bike to begin with? As well if anyone in the midwest is looking to sell.

If wrenching goes along with riding then it's a great bike....and by some definitions you may become a biker of sorts, xs650 biker that is. They generally are not for the faint of heart but respond well to care and understanding.

Yes once I get my first XS650 I plan on taking it apart and together again just to get a feel for it and to learn along the way. I have many tools in the garage thanks to the Father, wish he was here to help me :/ I have a deep appreication for older/vintage cars/bikes/ anything really lol. So this bike fits along my interests and I've heard nothing but praises about it. I know ill learn a wealth of knowledge here and am looking forward to this awesome experience

its a big bite to take for a first bike. Even if you find a good deal on a low mileage runner, it still requires a lot of maintenance. don't mean to scare you away, but perhaps a new , less, needy bike is more appealing. something from the 90's?
You say you have appreciation for vintage. Have you done any wrenching?
Read wiring diagrams till your eyes burned out of your skull? Put together a motor, run it 50 miles and have a wrist pin snap? And still 'get off' on fixing it?
If you have, and do like self-deprecation, the 650 may be the one for you.
Don't get me wrong, It not a cheap piece of junk, just know what your getting into requires a garage, and bloody knuckles.
its a fabulous bike, looks good as stock, chop, café, brat.
Can you tell I love to hate myself? lol!!

I bought one as my first bike. It gets frustrating but I really like the bike so I deal with it. Basically, if you are patient and plan on doing more working/ cursing and learning than actually riding, then go for it.

if you like the xs try a 400 that was my first bike. it was great and then after my first season i went to a 650 and then a 66 sportster which was a 900. and back to several 650's i just love em. the power and sound of the sportster was great though. i just dont want to pay for the H.

imho i don't think a 30+ year old bike is a good choice for a 'first bike'. you may find yourself wrenching more than riding (more than likely at least for the first season). get an old bike but also get a reliable daily rider and put some miles under your butt.

I also have a 2003 Suzuki maurader. I bought it in 04. First loan. Ended up paying 10g's all together with the interest. Now its only worth 1500. But its paid off now, and have done several mod to intake and exhaust. But you know what? I would not have done that to my suzi if it hadn't been for the box of bike (my xs650) I built and pu together.
The Suzuki always starts, always runs flawless. Kinda borring. I had the suzu long before the yama, and it always had a stutter through the mid throttle. Fixing my Yamaha taught me how to fix it.
Its a lesson you can learn and use on any other bike.
Get it if you want, but there is way more less maintenance bikes from the late 90's that are going cheap.
With all this said, Welcome, You will have a great time.

i agree. If you wanna ride pick up something newer. Old bikes will piss you off when its nice out till you get them sorted. Good to have a new one with your old one.

To angus, no I dont have much experience at all with working/tinkering with motorcycles, wiring either. So I'm really thinking about taking your guys advice on getting a somewhat "newer" bike. I still do want to get a XS650 at some point, what if maybe I just drop some cash for a restored XS650 thats already fully functional? What bikes out there from the late 90's resemble the XS650? Sorry bout all the questions its just I'm pretty much new to the whole motorcycle scene and dont have much knowledge. Also gonna put it out there is that my budget is pretty tight right now *update* was browsing CL, and found some more modern Honda Nighthawks, I am liking the style and prices I am seeing, anyone have any experience with those?

Last edited:
I also got an xs650 for my first bike. I'm currently rebuilding it and making it my own. I'm a complete newbie on working on motorcycles but I am willing to learn and this website is a great resource. Welcome.

Being close to the same age as you (I'm 22), I figured I'll give you my thoughts. The XS650 is my 2nd bike, my first was a DRZ400. I got my XS from my father who passed away and just had it sitting in a garage(hasn't been ridden since 1981). Before the XS I had ZERO knowledge of working on a bike, besides changing oil, changing sprockets, and fixing a chain. From my experience I will tell you this: get a newer bike to ride for this season. As you are just getting your endorsement, it will give you a feel for the road, handling, plus who wants to finally get an endorsement and not get out there! Like everyone else has said, you'll be working on this bike a lot. I sold my running bike to fund rebuilding this beauty, and this site has helped and will continue to help immensely. Buy a newer bike, ride the hell out of it, and if at the end of the season you still have the urge for the XS, look on CL. Trust me, go out and enjoy the riding for this season. Grab an XS later to work on in your spare time and learn a bunch of good shit. Good luck with your decision

I agree with JesseeS I'm 21 and my first bike was the XS 650 got it for cheap and did some serious wrenching to get her running. Taught me alot about bikes and showed me how not to take things for granted. But man for the first two years I had it I didn't do alot of riding.
I would have killed for a ready bike to ride. If you want to just hop on and ride i'd go for a small ninja or a katana or something not too big. Something to just get you on the road and riding. Sell the first ride at the end of the season and wrench on an XS over the winter. :thumbsup:

Night hawks are good bikes. I cleaned up a 450 for a guy at work...but still old.. And carbed. i would look into a naked suzuki gs500. carbed still. But far newer. Easy to set valves like the xs. Good power. Air cooled. Reliable. It will allow you to get your feet wet with some simple maint. Tasks if you buy a newer one and still be very reliable.

Welcome aboard Sammo.
Good luck with your search.
You didn't mention a $ amount for your budget and it is none of my business, but the old adage you get what you pay for applies here.
Any used bike can be a money pit. Ok it starts runs and rides you down around the block. Looks shiney and you think you do to when on it.
Plan on some maintenance cash flow don't spend your budget all on the bike.
You might try a CL ad explaining what you are looking for and find someone with a good bike in your $ range that the owner loves but for whatever reason needs to sell.
Hopefully the reason is they just need the room and are really looking for someone who will love their old toy. If you could work the purchase into a mentoring relationship you are time and trouble ahead. I know for a fact there are buttloads of XS's in your area you just need to find one that isn't someone else's disappointment.

my first bike was a $600 KZ440 that ran like the dickens but was ugly as sin (yes, someone painted it with LATEX HOUSE PAINT). I say get whatever you can get cheapest that still runs and is safe. I literally rode the piss out of that thing (from VA to NJ and back) and then when it finally needed real work, got rid of it for my XS.

NOW I can spend the time and money tinkering with the bike I really wanted in the first place because I don't have the jones to ride every 4 seconds. I enjoy wrenching just as much.

Buy some old beater with a strong motor and wear a lot of safety gear. Thrash that thing, and have fun. Just my opinion! :)

Welcome aboard Sammo.
Good luck with your search.
You might try a CL ad explaining what you are looking for and find someone with a good bike in your $ range that the owner loves but for whatever reason needs to sell.
Hopefully the reason is they just need the room and are really looking for someone who will love their old toy. If you could work the purchase into a mentoring relationship you are time and trouble ahead. I know for a fact there are buttloads of XS's in your area you just need to find one that isn't someone else's disappointment.

These xs650 owners can still be found. That would/could be the ideal scenario.

My first was a 81 xs and it took 6 months to sort and get the missing pieces for her. A little disappointment when I found the PO had stripped the plug hole, but a couple wraps of Teflon tape and some careful screwing in and replacing when I feel compresssion blowing by the plug. Been running her for year and half now Love it. Wouldn't change it. Now have 3 xs 's and looking for next one. Get her and carry tools. You'll. learn a lot on how to fix to get home or have strong leg muscles from pushing. Good luck

I also got an xs650 for my first bike. I'm currently rebuilding it and making it my own. I'm a complete newbie on working on motorcycles but I am willing to learn and this website is a great resource. Welcome.

Ditto

If you are hands on and want to know your bike inside and out, its a great bike. It does require an intimate relationship though. You will have to pay her attention. Gonna be thick and thin, richer and poorer, sickness and health. Your wife will be pissed.

Ditto

If you are hands on and want to know your bike inside and out, its a great bike. It does require an intimate relationship though. You will have to pay her attention. Gonna be thick and thin, richer and poorer, sickness and health. Your wife will be pissed.

Where's the "like" button? That about sums it all up......'specially about the wife.....Ha!

Back