34vm round slides again sorry

triumph68

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know i know not again but I've spent hours now reading and following links the more i read the less i seem to understand . I don't want to race or do anything silly I've got a stock standard 1980 . does any one know what the set up would be for vm34 round slides like the correct main jet size the correct pilot size what needle size what needle jets the needle clip position and approximately how many turns out the air fuel should be ? Please i'm not being lazy i'm getting frustrated i didn't think it would be so difficult .shouldn't this be pretty standard i know i'm not real bright and i'm pissed off at myself for not understanding what is suppose to be simple . thanks Triumph 68 Brisbane Australia .

Hey, Triumph68. Try using the forum's advanced search on:
Keyword: VM34
Member: Grizld1

Yeah, I know, another 40+ threads, but several of them are quite informative. I believe that Grizld1 posted the recipe for VM34s in those in several places. Good luck...

Carbs...especially after markets like vm...aren't just buy jets and it works. You buy a range of mains and pilots and run the recommended needle and needle jet and go to work tuning. You can also tune using slide cut away on vm34. Out altitude here is 3000 asl. I was quite a bit leaner than most recommended on the mains. And definetely should have had the 2.5 slide cut aways. I went back to my bs34s as I found the carb body I needed as one was toast.

Not to quibble, TwoMany, but what I've posted again and again and written in the VM section of the XS650 Garage USA Carb Guide (the link given by figure8) and in XS/TX 650 Carburetors: A Manual (a Yamaha 650 Society publication) is a baseline, and emphatically not a recipe. It's a starting place that may occasionally turn out to be a destination.

triumph 68, the best advice I can offer you is this: make sure you have good compression, correct valve lash, and strong spark happening at the right time before you try dialing in the carbies. Apart from that, read until what's been written in the Carb Guide makes sense to you, and don't skip any steps. If you haven't found the material you want it's due to impatience, and impatience is not your friend in this work!

If you need explanations on how carburetors work and detailed troubleshooting guidance, go to xs650 society.com and order the manual. It's $17 to your door.

Triump, as Griz said there is no recipe for carbs. It takes some work and patience. However, if it's worth it to you Michael at 650 central, that's 650central.com to be exact, will for a small fee of I believe $25 will offer you his best recommendation of a good baseline to start with based on your engine, pipes, climate etc....if you're looking for an "easy" start I'd suggest calling or emailing him. He also sells all the brass you'd be looking for, good luck.

Not to quibble, TwoMany, but what I've posted again and again and written in the VM section of the XS650 Garage USA Carb Guide (the link given by figure8) and in XS/TX 650 Carburetors: A Manual (a Yamaha 650 Society publication) is a baseline, and emphatically not a recipe. It's a starting place that may occasionally turn out to be a destination...

Thanx, Griz. Yeah, 'recipe' was a poor choice of words...

thanks men that base line for jetting did the trick i know it pisses some people off asking what some think are basic questions but that's how some of us learn . so thanks again you guys always come through regards triumph68 Australia .

For the record, triumph, it's not answering basic questions that's annoying; what's irksome is repeating information that's been given so many times in so many places that it takes more effort to ask the question one more time than it would take to find the answer to begin with. There seems to be a certain kind of mind that can't process information unless it's directed personally--"Can't understand what you wrote unless you write it again for me." I put it down to the epidemic of self-absorption that's spread with the flourishing of smart phones, internet, and digital communications in general.

Shit. You can even find a half decent baseline right from niche cycle online. They sell them with the standard xs650 baseline jets and list what they all are including needle and needle jet....Except they use the 2.0 slide cut away..which may or may not work.

Back