650 special will idle but won't rev, sputters and backfires

craigrendar

XS650 Member
Reaction score
ok I'm not very good with diagnosing problems so here it is, I'm running a pma with a pamco ignition pwk carbs and open exhaust, I am also running a 650 central minimalist battery.

When I put everything together it started in three kicks but ran poorly so I checked the cam chain tension, valves and timing and its all good. It idles fine but when I try to rev it backfires and wont go past 2. I cleaned the carbs and checked the float levels and its all good but it still didnt work. So i took out the spark plugs and they were jet black so I cleaned them and it ran fine, I took it around the block and then it died. I got back and cleaned the plugs again but it still idles fine but wont rev. I tried experimenting with the timing and the air fuel mixture but nothing seems to help. I also put in a leaner jet and changed the needle one position down and it still runs the same. Please help.

Check your battery voltage at idle and while you try to rev it. Mine did the same thing and after 2 batteries, 2 voltage regulators I found that the regulators connector pins were poorly crimped. Pushed them out recrimped and soldered havent had a problem since.

Hey everybody! I was wondering about this same problem. I'm also running a pamco ignition, open air filters and exhaust. I dont have a pma though. I thought you didn't need a battery if your'e running a pma.

Back