'68 BSA Victor Build..... Bloody 'el mate... You 'effin daft or sommat?!?

And there always seems to be a spot you missed.
Ain't that the truth...

Sad Minion.gif

Frame is done! Phew.....

I shot 2 coats of Centari Negro Intenso (love that name :laugh2:)
Mixed up 8oz of clear and cut it pretty heavy with a slow (90°) reducer... about 12oz total. I shot that 'till it was gone. Didn't count coats. As a guess, prolly 3 or 4.
Very happy with it.

1654554203204.png

1654554248743.png

1654554286933.png

1654554316881.png

I used some hooks and wire to make it easier to shoot underneath it. Hooks are on the East and West walls so it made it pretty easy to get full coverage all around.

1654554451471.png

I'll let that cure up for a week or two, then bring it up to the garage and start the reassembly.

Frame is done! Phew.....

I shot 2 coats of Centari Negro Intenso (love that name :laugh2:)
Mixed up 8oz of clear and cut it pretty heavy with a slow (90°) reducer... about 12oz total. I shot that 'till it was gone. Didn't count coats. As a guess, prolly 3 or 4.
Very happy with it.

That looks nicer than powder coat! Beautiful!
5F65B499-4D8A-4135-8E99-FCBF0F711D83.jpeg

A thought just occurred to me about restorations. I gave 1k for the Beezer. If I'd farmed out the fab and welding of the missing brackets on the frame.... sandblasting... prime and paint, as some restoration guys do.... I'd easily be over 2k right now and haven't even started putting things together.

As it stands, this resto owes me nothing. The metal for the tabs was scrap on hand. The paint is leftovers from other various jobs.... I'm at buildup for no more than the cost of the bike. I don't care who ya are, that feels good. :laugh2:

'Course... it ain't gonna last. New chrome rims, spokes, tires, mud guards... and I ain't even opened the engine up yet. So this will be short lived, but right now I'm tickled.

One step forward and.... well , you know. :er:

Cleaned up and bead blasted the swingarm and its spindle. Had some XS-1 sidecovers ready to prime so I mixed up some epoxy black and shot the lot.

1655690619625.png

While I was shootin' I noticed the swingarm is bent... big time.

1655690703678.png

1655690733704.png

Well fuck... I spent the better part of a day checking the frame dimensions against the manual... and not one friggin' minute on the swingarm. And... to add insult to injury... I had clues staring at me the whole time. Remember this pic from the teardown?

1655691082752.png

Yeah... the tire is offset to the right over an inch.... 'cept its not... it's "cocked" to the right over an inch. Yes, the Victor rear is offset slightly, and that's what I thought I was lookin' at.... dipshit. :doh:
Anyway.... no harm no foul. It's just primed and not yet painted. The Great Orange Beast can easily take care of the bend.
The thing is, I spent my life as an aircraft mechanic... and complacent bullshit like this would kill. Kinda hard to wrap my head around...

Okay, you missed it but no point beating yourself up. After all, the Beeza ain't a flying machine. Well, maybe a few yards over the jumps. Fact, that's probably how the s/arm got bent . . .

From the picture, the far away arm looks not just out-of-line but actually bent? Might just be the photo.

The frame has turned out just like every single piece of the rest of your work. Astounding.
The prep work truly shines when the paint is applied and finished by someone with your talent. I certainly understand what you mean about that swingarm being left damaged (bent or misaligned?) and either not repaired or repaired improperly. Dangerous. That is a great example of why it is so critical to check things (everything)
throughout the process. Consistently following best practices at every step helps provide that wider net to catch things that get through. Your training is still serving you well.
The swingarm may have slid through the initial inspection but never passed to any critical stage.
It can be difficult on occasion to catch everything on the first fly by when you are a one man show juggling many things at once.
I think most of us relate to that. I know I do for sure.

Currently repairing the swingarm spindle on my frame, some PO had tried to beat it out and buggered/mushroomed the threaded end. I had to use a side grinder to dress the diameter down so I could remove it.
Chucked it up, cut off the weld holding the bolt plate at the opposite end, then turned it around and cut off about 3/4" of length.
Then turned up a replacement blank and had my welder buddy attach it.
Added about .015" additional to the OD so I can true it up and cut new threads. Turns out the original size/pitch is 13/16-20 which happens to be the same as a trailer axle spindle so standard replacement nuts are readily available. :)

Okay, you missed it but no point beating yourself up. After all, the Beeza ain't a flying machine.
Right you are Raymond. I was over it 10 min after I posted.... just sort of incredulous at missing something so obvious.
The bend actually starts where the brake stay tab is brazed on. Perhaps the tubing was weakened at that point from the heat.... dunno. Shouldn't be too hard to set right though.

1655740645970.png

It dosent look to hard to bend its pretty spindly, you might need to repaint it though. The frame looks terrific.

Yeah, does look a bit spindly don't it... especially considerin' it's a scrambler. And one that won two world championships at that. :umm:

Turns out the original size/pitch is 13/16-20 which happens to be the same as a trailer axle spindle so standard replacement nuts are readily available. :)
Nice to know. Mine's had the flats rounded off by a PO. Feked has 'em for a few bucks, so I might just order the OEM.... but nice to have options.

Right you are Raymond. I was over it 10 min after I posted.... just sort of incredulous at missing something so obvious.
The bend actually starts where the brake stay tab is brazed on. Perhaps the tubing was weakened at that point from the heat.... dunno. Shouldn't be too hard to set right though.

View attachment 216809

Yeah, does look a bit spindly don't it... especially considerin' it's a scrambler. And one that won two world championships at that. :umm:
Maybe came from the Colin Chapman School of Engineering where the motto is "If it didn't break, it's too heavy"

Nice to know. Mine's had the flats rounded off by a PO. Feked has 'em for a few bucks, so I might just order the OEM.... but nice to have options.

I guess the only possible difference would be included thread angle, 60° Unified vs. 55° Whitworth
Since I'm cutting my own I'll be using 60° threading tool and replacement axle nuts are available from the local auto parts store for a few bucks each.

Back