73' brake question

chopit25

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I've been doing some research and am finding it a little expensive to make sure I can stop. I have a full front brake setup, master cylinder, caliper, old crusty lines. They appear to be in good shape, except for the hoses. It looks like the caliper rebuild kit is $23.50, piston are $22.00 each, m/c rebuild kit is $88.00. Plus a stainless steel hose is about $50.00 give or take a bit. I have new pads. Plus I need new fork seals because the cheap ones I got from mike are leaking already, just sitting around, and I have a small crack at the drain screw on one of my fork lowers. I would like to switch to a Springer, like a DNA, but then I have to get a wheel, caliper, master cylinder, hose and whatever else. Way more spendy! Then I looked at a b rembo setup and that looks real spendy, plus I'm not sure if it will just bolt right up to my 73' 34mm fork setup? Any suggestions? What are your opinions on the b rembo setup? Any advice in this area is really appreciated!

I have the Brembo 4 piston calipers on my 1978 SE bike. They provide excellent braking, and are a very worthwhile mod to the bike.

They can be added to 34 mm forks. Pandemonium sells an adapter bracket. Use the Google Custom Search in the upper left corner to find out more.

Attachments

• Brembo front mounting.JPG
    Brembo front mounting.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 65
If you have a cracked lower fork tube and stock isn't important then an XS750 standard fork swap would be one option. I think the XS750 fork would be bolt on to a 73 frame. you can use your 73 front wheel with the 750 brake rotors. (the 750 uses 2 smaller rotors)

Back