77 XS650 Brat - "Music To My Ears" Project

RockingThePartyDJ

XS650 Obsessed
Reaction score
Hey Everyone, Thanks for checking this out.

I picked this poor beast up from the scrap heap, it was literally going to be crushed :wtf:
The story of this beasts resurrection started with a craigslist ad I posted looking for a XS650 in any condition running or not or basket case, basically anything. A Helpful stranger called me the next day and told me he'd seen an XS650 at a scrap Yard south of Green Bay, he was looking for parts for his bike and saw it. So the next day i hooked up the trailer and drove down. I asked where their bikes are and I went to go look for it. well when I got there, there was only 5 bikes and none of them a XS650 so i'm kinda wondering what the hell did someone get it already?? So i looked around and over by a huge pile of scrap metal was a Feeder trailer with scrap piled on it over 8 feet high and I saw a handle bar headlight and front wheel sticking up so i went over and climbed up on top and lo and behold there is a somewhat complete xs650 i'm looking it over and other than a lot of rust it looked like a good candidate for some type of build. So i go into the office to get them to get it off of the pile and they say it was too late and they were closing soon but wrote a big message to get it off the heap and I would be back early on Monday when they were open to buy it. Well monday rolls around and I head down there and get there around noon and I go to see the bike and when I get back there I don't see any XS650 and the Feeder trailer wasn't where it was either, I'm thinking this is odd? I looked around and I see the Feeder trailer had been dumped onto the huge pile of scrap and the crane with the magnet was moving metal from the pile to be crushed.
I looked and I see just the tip of a handlebar under a shitload of metal sticking out. I'm thinking no that better not be the bike so i climbed partway up and sure enough they had dumped the whole trailer full of metal and the bike was under it, man I was pissed that they did that to her. So I go in office quick and explain and the guy remembered me from friday and we went out there and he had the crane get it out and I was just freaking inside because he dropped it a couple times trying to get it out of that twisted mess. After they got it out and put aside I looked it over and checked the engine and surprisingly no broken fins. So I go in the office and negotiate to get the bike for less than the scrap weight since they screwed up. They wanted $130 but I got them down to $100 and I loaded the poor thing into my trailer and took her home.
I planned on getting to her sooner but needed to close off or divide my garage from the upstairs rental side before the new renters moved in and hoped to get to her soon.
100_0002.jpg
The wall is going up and need to clean out garage LOL
100_0007.jpg
Gotta Finish my new DJ Stand Roadcase first, as she waits patiently for her upcoming surgury.
100_0015.jpg
Well I can't wait and i decide to take anything off that's messed up from the crushing it got then I broke out the Sawzall and decide "BRAT" so here is what was taken and cut off.
100_0164.jpg
All Junk Nothing to sell or even give away so Scrap metal it is! Except for the loop I kept that. I actually helped out a member in Texas I think when I sent him the back part of the loop he needed to repair his bike for the cost of shipping. So even in her close call with death she has donated body parts so another may be whole. I know its kinda weird but hey, it's good to tell a story LOL
Here's how she sat for well over a year.
100_0167.jpg
Too many other projects, you know how that goes.
I'm looking to buy or borrow just the three 1" Dies for my Harbor Freight Tubing roller i bought online that didn't have them, because I want to make my own frame rails for this build. So if anyone can help sell or borrow them to me and i'll pay the trip to and from it would be immensely appreciated :thumbsup:

Just a couple days ago I got back to her.
100_0361.jpg
Now Time to Remove Engine. Rebuild this winter.
100_0425.jpg
And get ready to clean up the rest of the brackets and tabs and anything else I don't want on here.
100_0426.jpg
Well so far there it is, My Honda Rebel Shocks (hence the temporary name "Yamada") came in Friday so hopefully I can get to the Frame Mod's soon I may have to use my tubing bender versus roller, man I need 1" dies!!!!!

Last edited:
Hey Big Dave,
Thanks for checking out my thread!
Yeah it will be alot of work and i think it will be fun I love building and creating things and fortunately i work about 4 nights a week usually and i'm trying to spend at least 2 half days in garage during my 3 days off and hopefully I can spend a couple hours here and there during my work days so hopefully things progress well, And Surprisingly! no it's not froze and it seems to have some semi decent compression, but that is based on just kicking her over and not using a compression gauge yet.
I think I may go with somewhat of a music based theme on this bike, I saw these kewl Turn signals and tail lights online that remind me of old fashioned Microphones and I may have tracked down a Headlight that blends into or has some cohesiveness (big word of the day LOL) to the plan or will flow and tie together with the turn signals and tail light. I can't wait til they get here man ya gotta love the UPS people they make my day when he or she leaves those presents at the door. :thumbsup:

Im picking up what you're puttin' down, DJ. Great idea incorporating music into the build. I've played guitar for roughly 18 years and it's a big influence on everything I do. Maybe theres a way to use Mic or even cymbal stands for mirror stems!

Good Idea Big Dave, I'll have to ponder that one and see what I can come up with, I like the cymbal idea. Also I was just thinking of having music notes laser or water jetted into some fender braces i'll be coming up with... I may just call her "Music To My Ears"

you should use big ride cymbals as wheel disc covers for the spoke instead of the mooneyes style ones. That could be cool.

How about a fiberglass bandpass box shaped like hard bags, some components and subs, and a powered mixer with tables over top the headlight? Pretty taxing on the charging system but I like to party! Fancy lights and a fog machine with bumpin' tunes ALL AT 70MPH! I would hire you DJ!

Hey Scabber & Spud, Yeah it was a Hail Mary, thank you for watching and i just gotta say in the musical words of Rockwell "Somebody's Watching Me" LOL
That idea for cymbals over the spokes, I can visualize it and I do think it would Rock! I just dunno if I could pull something like that off.
I was thinking a building a Roadcase trailer with a DJ system in it to be pulled by one of my bikes, but your right Big Dave theres gotta be subs, I'm not so sure the saddlebag bandpass subs would be the way to go with this bike but future builds beware. I gotta run guys but thanks for watching and I got some stuff in i'm gonna post in a couple hours i'm gonna catch a movie with a friend, gonna go see the white house blow up LOL

Last edited:
So I received my Blinkers today that I plan on using that will tie into the Music theme of this bike. The Blinkers have a look that remind me of vintage Harp Mic's used in the 40's and even today
1 vintage microphone 3.JPG
1 vintage microphone 1.JPG
1 vintage microphone 2.JPG
1 vintage microphone 4.JPG
Above are a few samples of vintage microphones.

I think these little babies look a lot like the vintage mic's above, unfortunately they sent me 2 of them with gold on the grill. I'm waiting to see what their resolution is because gold doesn't fit got my look i'm going for unless I actually did come up with a plan to actually add cymbals somewhere.
100_0437.jpg
Hopefully once I get the seat area frame rails fabricated I can come up with a location to mount them I think i'll use 1" Tubing and my Tubing Notcher to make short mounts that will be welded to the frame and I will plug the end drill and tap the hole to mount and run the wire thru the frame to keep a clean look. at least thats the plan.

Last edited:
The Fedex Guy Rocks too!

I just got my Headlight and Tailight so here's a picture along with my shocks i got friday. I put one of the Turn Signals there for size comparisons.
100_0457.jpg

Here are a couple better photo's that show how they all tie in or flow together. At least I like the look.
100_0462.jpg
100_0463.jpg

I really need some 1" roller Dies for my tubing roller, I have some 1" DOM and i want to start making my seat/frame rails. It's not the way I want them bent :shrug: but maybe i'll try my Bender and see what I can come up with.

Last edited:
Back